• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Avy Backpack do you prefer?

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Currently running the BCA Mtnktek vest. Not a huge fan of how it fits but haven’t really worn anything else either.

Let’s hear what you guys like.

Looking for lightweight and a non bulky fit. Want to wear some type of Tek vest underneath.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Still running an ABS bag over a Klim Stealth and Tek, but due for an upgrade. Couldn't get the Snowpulse Charger to fit me well last year with any shell. New Klim bag is supposed to be the lightest ever - I avoid first year Klim stuff myself now, they release early, and already have too many year 1/2 items that were significantly improved in year 2-3, being a sled test bunny for the OEMs is bad enough. Not gonna experiment with a $1k US bag. But will be watching the reports this year for it.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've got both generations of the BCA MTN Pro Float vest.

I'm so happy to have the protective vest integrated with the airbag features.
For me, it is so much more comfortable than wearing an avy pack on top my Tek Vest.

2nd edition made some nice refinements and it is definitely an improvement over the first, though I was happy with the first one as well.
My son wears the first gen now that I've had the 2nd gen a couple seasons.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I like the new Motorfist Argo bag. It is super light and compact but has just enough storage to carry what you need. I really like the small sealed cansiter system they use because for one there is no risk of leaks. With the refillable brands I tried I had issues with dropping pressures and was constantly having to check them. Also I can toss a spare set of canisters in the bag so If I accidentally set it offf on a tree branch or something I still have the comfort of being able to ride with the bag the rest of the day. Just some of the things I like along with the normal things like the handle being setup for sledders and having the radio setup on the other side, a nice shovel pocket and goggle pouch, etc...

https://motorfist.com/argo-avalanche-airbag-backpack/20941-60/product/

As far as a vest underneath I like the EVS comp vest. It does not have the most protection but it is comfortable. I tried tek vest and evs vests previously and they were too bulky I ended up never wearing them. So I figure less protection is better if I actually wear it because some is better than none.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota

For me, it is so much more comfortable than wearing an avy pack on top my Tek Vest.

2nd edition made some nice refinements and it is definitely an improvement over the first, though I was happy with the first one as well.

This exactly^^^

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

Are there other bags? The BCA is the best and the Western Canadian reps provide the best service.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN

Couldn't agree with this more. Had a couple BCA packs before the first gen Vest and now a Second gen vest. I don't ever see myself going back to a Tek Vest and pack. The BCA vest stays so secure and once it is on i don't even notice its there. Packs always seemed to bounce around going down the trail or when shifting on the sled. The vest just feels like it's part of me.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I’m using the Dakine avy vest.

Light weight and slim profile.

Snowpulse 3.0 inside.

No room for protection underneath it though.

d180140d4e4ae8194c3b798b305f321a.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Possible to wear a padded jersey under the Dakine?

Thanks for all the feedback guys. 2nd Gen Vest sounds much improved! Just wish it was a little lighter

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Possible to wear a padded jersey under the Dakine?

Thanks for all the feedback guys. 2nd Gen Vest sounds much improved! Just wish it was a little lighter

Depending on how big you are.

I’m 6’2” and 210#

I wear my base layer and Motorfist coat under it.

Maxed out on adjustments it fits me perfect.

(Helps that i lost 30# over the summer)

Main points.
BCA shovel fits inside the bag (padded so no digging into your back)

Pocket on the front for easy beacon access.

Pocket on the front fits bca radio perfect.

Lightest vest out there. (Only a small first aid/survival kit, couple granola bars, probe, one water bottle and TP fits)

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I've had BCA and SnowPulse. The SnowPulse was a good bag, had a few little issues but it was very expensive. I had the first gen BCA vest and now have the most recent one. Just ordered it today. BCA supports the snowmobile group, has a great product and the best pricing.

Here is the new pack...
BCA_float_mtnpro_vest_avalanche_airbag_yellow_1200x1200.jpg

I use the older Float 8 for spring time riding and days when I go really light. No protection and not much storage, but I still have an avy bag on.
bca-float-8-airbag-pack-orange.jpg

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Snowpulse Charger. I tried on different vests. I also like the Snow Pulse charge system better than BCA. This is the only one for me. I won’t have another until Klim comes with a vest.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Switched from an ABS Escape 15 to a BCA Turbo 25. Then a Tek Vest inside my Klim Stealth or Lochsa outer shell. The ABS was a little bit short and restricting for me. BCA is a nice, snug, but not tight, fit.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I really like my Pieps bag. Love the battery/fan set up. I can test it, practice with it, fly with it. I also like the deployment handle design and placement. Ive never blown it by accident(it wouldn’t be a big deal anyway) and Ive seen a LOT of accidentally blown BCA bags. They still need work on the handle design and placement.

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
Check out Highmark Spire LT vest. I love mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I've actually run a few different ones and have finally narrowed it to the most comfortable set up yet.

Started with the BCA Float 30 and a Tekvest underneath. Moved on through a few different BCA Float series bags with the Tekvest underneath and it never felt "right". I also kept having issues with the compressed air cylinder and it would always leak!! BCA was great to work with and they always took care of me, but it was a pain.

Then I ended up moving to an Ortovox Freeride series pack with the ABS system. The pack was more comfortable and the air system had NO issues, which was great!! Only problem was replacing the air system when you fired it off was obviously more money and little harder to come by, if you didn't have a spare with. Overall it was a little more comfortable but still not what I was looking for.

So........

Then came the BCA Mountain Pro vests. I've run the first version, which was good and I'm now in the most recent version. I can tell you this, the vest system is way more comfortable then running a Tekvest / pack combo and is a much "cooler" setup, meaning you have to adjust your clothing. The Tekvest / pack combo has you running much warmer and "I" found myself running much less for mid layers. With the vest, it was back to the drawing board and I ended up increasing the amount of mid layer to increase overall warmth. It took me a few rides to get use to this dialed in and make adjustments, but once I did I've been very happy!

The air systems seems to have improved but again, BCA is great to work with, if you have issues. Plus the BCA air system seems to be the most widely used out west or least where we typically ride.

Other benefits with the vest include the protection, outer pockets that are easy to access, to include a special pocket for your transceiver and its easy on and easy off! They also have plenty of storage for me, but I only keep essentials on my back, so that's not a huge deal for me. If you are the guy that doubles as a "Sherpa" then you may find the Mountain Pro Vests a little lacking on storage.

I guess I look at this way, get out there and try different avalanche air packs, then buy one and then use it!!! There a great investment and can save your life, so get something that "you" like and "you" will wear and don't worry about what all your buddies are running.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I really like my Pieps bag. Love the battery/fan set up. I can test it, practice with it, fly with it. I also like the deployment handle design and placement. Ive never blown it by accident(it wouldn’t be a big deal anyway) and Ive seen a LOT of accidentally blown BCA bags. They still need work on the handle design and placement.

I purchased a Pieps Jetforce at the end of last season. Haven't had it on the mountain yet, but sure like its ability to deploy multiple times before needing charged up. Went from a BCA float 22 to this one, and with all the stuff i carried transfered to the new Pieps, i am still at the same weight. Seems to fit well. Happy so far!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I like this pack a lot. Small, light, not bulky... not cheap. Basically a Nac Pac with an airbag. I like vests, but found the BCA to be somewhat restrictive and bulky whenever I started working hard.

Like some others said it would be best to try to find somewhere to try some of these options on.

Aspect2.jpg

Aspect.jpg

Premium Features