• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What’s Next?

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
The fancy gauge will be an option, don’t want, don’t get it.

I don’t think the “make it light, make it simple, make it work” has to apply to the gauge. Having mapping/tracking features, topo, and other convenient features like an altimeter and code reading is exactly that- convenient. I am a sucker for simplicity, but have ordered PIDD on my last 2 sleds, and for sure would get the 7S if I were to snowcheck.

Now... that said, I haven’t been around the 7s, but I would expect that it doesn’t ad any significant weight, it should be simple to operate, and it should work well, all of the time.
I do certainly hope it's optional. Don't need it. Don't want to pay for it. Don't want to pay even more to replace it when I break it. I totally understand the appeal though. 10 years ago I would have gobbled up an option like that.

B
Dec 17, 2016
I would really rather not see Polaris go to a fancy gauge. The best thing Polaris ever did was to adopt the motto "keep it simple, make it light, make it work" at least in the mountains that was their motto anyway. A fancy pants gauge doesn't seem to fit in with that motto that is what has made them great the last 10 years.
I agree about simple but the big gauge with GPS has legitimate real world practicality. Imagine being able to clearly see a map and location of your buddies (with the same gauge) while riding without an aftermarket gps.. Though an aftermarket gps will still have its uses.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I also hope the fancy screen is optional, and that they make it fairly easy to pick and choose. I'm kind of split on it. I can't see why it would add more than a couple pounds, and if that's the case, the biggest downside would be cost. Having good mapping and tracking without having to hassle with a phone (and fighting to keep it warm and dry), or another device that probably costs as much and adds as much weight, would be really nice. Being able to track your buddies is nice, but obviously limited if it only works with the same setup. A good track-back feature would definitely come in handy in bad weather. Of course, the way options like this go, the unit cost will be around $200, and they'll charge $1000+ for it...

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I also hope the fancy screen is optional, and that they make it fairly easy to pick and choose. I'm kind of split on it. I can't see why it would add more than a couple pounds, and if that's the case, the biggest downside would be cost. Having good mapping and tracking without having to hassle with a phone (and fighting to keep it warm and dry), or another device that probably costs as much and adds as much weight, would be really nice. Being able to track your buddies is nice, but obviously limited if it only works with the same setup. A good track-back feature would definitely come in handy in bad weather. Of course, the way options like this go, the unit cost will be around $200, and they'll charge $1000+ for it...
Yup - I already pay for and carry a Garmin InReach so I can't see paying extra for something that doesn't add any performance to the sled and isn't as good as my InReach (although the screen is much much bigger!) Now if the InReach features were built into it that would be another matter ....

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
The one thing I see the new display being nice for over any handheld unit is if you were trying to work your way out of some really crummy weather. InReach built in would be cool, but probably wouldn't be a big seller. On the other hand, if they could link it to an InReach, I'd think that would be pretty helpful without having to worry about tieing the account to the sled.

F

FirstAscent

Feb 25, 2021
West Coast
Yup - I already pay for and carry a Garmin InReach so I can't see paying extra for something that doesn't add any performance to the sled and isn't as good as my InReach (although the screen is much much bigger!) Now if the InReach features were built into it that would be another matter ....
I already have an InReach as well and have had one for quite a number of years, would love to see the tech be integrated in other products such as directly integrated into a sled screen, that'd be so nice!

I'm a pretty techy guy so I'm always for a more fancy screen :) but agree to not force it, give us the option so people that don't care can get what they want too, everybody wins.

the feature to follow/track your buddies on the 7S is kinda cool, but too new to be really useful unless all your friends have an absolute brand new machine and from the same manufacturer, so that loses its sparkle pretty quick.

I still want it though

couple more hours... can't wait to see what the options are!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I already have an InReach as well and have had one for quite a number of years, would love to see the tech be integrated in other products such as directly integrated into a sled screen, that'd be so nice!

I'm a pretty techy guy so I'm always for a more fancy screen :) but agree to not force it, give us the option so people that don't care can get what they want too, everybody wins.

the feature to follow/track your buddies on the 7S is kinda cool, but too new to be really useful unless all your friends have an absolute brand new machine and from the same manufacturer, so that loses its sparkle pretty quick.

I still want it though

couple more hours... can't wait to see what the options are!
Well if your buddies have cell service and the Ride Command app, they can join you too. But that's not likely the case in the backcountry.

F

FirstAscent

Feb 25, 2021
West Coast
Well if your buddies have cell service and the Ride Command app, they can join you too. But that's not likely the case in the backcountry.

Ride command operates from satellite.

Ah true, I remember hearing that now. I believe they mentioned you have to have cell service for full functionality though. Which make sense. GPS/Satellite signal only will tell you YOUR location, but GPS can't transmit your location to other devices without other forms of communication (ie. cell towers)

D
Jan 3, 2021
I haven’t seen if Polaris has released the sleds yet. But got a 509 email!!??
af5bdac6797f771949c1378bde88872e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features