• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

West Yellowstone Jan 2020 Trip

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
Who's excited for sled season to start?? I can't freaking wait. Just booked 2 cabins 7 miles west of West Yellowstone. Can anybody tell me the elevation I should clutch my sled for? Google Earth is leading me towards 8-9000ft.

Does anybody know where I can get a BCA canister filled? I had a heck of a time with this when we went to Dubious, WY last year (drove over the mountains to Jackson). The BCA website isn't accurate on dealers.

Any local information I should be aware of? We are driving out from Maine for a week of riding Jan 20-24.

I will take any and all comments so that we can have the best trip possible. We mostly tree ride here at home (bowls and climbs don't really exist).

Thank you in advance

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Plan on having a GREAT TIME.
Altitude wise, you will be as low as 6,300ft and possibly as high as 10K if you ride on Jefferson.
In general, 8,000 is pretty solid for most of the mountain riding you will encounter around WY & IP.
Since you are coming from MAINE, it makes sense to ask, will you be trailering a TRAIL sled or a Mountain Sled?

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
Thank you. We have Mountain sleds, M8000s and a RMK. We went to Tog last winter. Figured we would try rotate around for the next few trips.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thank you. We have Mountain sleds, M8000s and a RMK. We went to Tog last winter. Figured we would try rotate around for the next few trips.
Perfect
you're golden then.
Tog is a personal favorite of mine, when the snow is good, Tog can be GREAT..
Though I was mighty sad to see the big lodge fireplace go away

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
What do you use for avalanche forecast? I looked last night and was struggling to find something. I see the Montana one covered north of West Yellowstone. It was nice last year to get the updates from Bridger=Teton center.

phidelt479

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2004
Minnesota
We go to west every year. We run 6-8k for our sleds. I did speak with a rental place the other week in West and they said they run their stock sleds for 6-8k as well but run turbos and modified sleds at 8-10k due to them usually being rented for the climbing.

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
Sweet. Thank you for the info. Can't wait to get out there

Premium Features