• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Well...shucks

O
My first post here. I wish it was under better circumstances.
I purchased this baby on Sunday. 3246 KMS on it. Some bumps and bruises but overall good shape, and good price.
Took it for a quick ride when I purchased. All seemed well.
Took it out today for a better ride. And... The clutch broke off.
Any ideas? Obviously a full rebuild...but I've never seen this before. I'm mechanically inclined and can do a lot of my own work. Just lead me in the right direction.
Thanks to all that can help out.

20230315_181944.jpg 20230315_184611.jpg 20230315_184616.jpg

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
That's a real bummer. It happens, but it sucks to be the guy it happens to. Like Steve said, it should be fixable - obviously you need a new PTO end to the crank and a new clutch. If it were me, I'd tear it apart myself and send the crank off for repair/rebuild. Paying somebody to do a complete rebuild would probably cost as much as the sled is worth (in running condition); would only be worth it for someone attached to a sled and not interested/able to DIY. The one question would be parts availability, but you should be able to get a good idea with a few calls. Hopefully the cylinder is in good shape; it'd be a good idea to do the top end while it's apart.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
That looks to be the 08, 800 dragon? That was my favourite of the dragon era… if you are going to rebuild and planning on hanging onto it, consider putting the mountain tech fix kit in it (spacer plate and pistons with longer skirts)… its quite possible that it has it now, look for a 3/8” spacer pate between the mono block and bottom end, if it has it you will need to source out the pistons from a mountain tech dealer.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Another good option is the bikeman durability kit if you do a top end rebuild. They use the wossner pistons wich are more compatible to the newer style stock pistons (2015 cfi2 800) vs the mountain tech kit which uses wisceo pistons. If you go with a new crank look for 1 from a 13- 15 pro rmk fuji crank shaft. Stay away from the mape crank shafts that where in the earlier cfi 800 motors.

O
That looks to be the 08, 800 dragon? That was my favourite of the dragon era… if you are going to rebuild and planning on hanging onto it, consider putting the mountain tech fix kit in it (spacer plate and pistons with longer skirts)… its quite possible that it has it now, look for a 3/8” spacer pate between the mono block and bottom end, if it has it you will need to source out the pistons from a mountain tech dealer.
05 RMK 900. Planning on a rebuild over the summer.
Another good option is the bikeman durability kit if you do a top end rebuild. They use the wossner pistons wich are more compatible to the newer style stock pistons (2015 cfi2 800) vs the mountain tech kit which uses wisceo pistons. If you go with a new crank look for 1 from a 13- 15 pro rmk fuji crank shaft. Stay away from the mape crank shafts that where in the earlier cfi 800 motors.
I will see if Indy Specialties can do some work. After some phone calls im finding the clutch very hard to come by, at least a stock one. I would do a rebuild if i can find individual parts. As of now im searching marketplace too see if one comes up. Im not afraid to go aftermarket though if needed.
I have new pistons and gaskets from the seller, as im only reading 110 PSI compression both cylinders and i believe it should be closer to 125?
Should be a fun summer project. Need to check crank run-out though and see if thats why the failure happened to begin with. We were not in powder and had it no where close to WOT, just gave it a little go-go off the line and *pop*.

O
Well. Im a dumbass.
Ill be the first to admit, ive never done a sled rebuild.
Lots of other motors, never a sled.
Tough to check crank run-out when theres no damn crank left to run out.
I have the option to buy a rebuilt crank, and rebuilt primary,
or buy a whole engine with primary and secondary that was rebuilt by IndySpecialties about 6 years ago. Upgraded to the 33mm crank at that time.
Either way looking about 1800 and my engine is coming out.

Should be a fun summer.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I don’t know what is available from Polaris now but when I owned my ‘06 900, Polaris had an update crank kit that came with a new crank with heavier PTO end, new clutch to match the larger taper and a new belt. I was very pleasantly surprised at the price. I ended up needing new case halves as well because pto bearing spun in the case. Still, with the crank kit, case halves, pistons, all gaskets and motor mounts, I was all in for about $2,800.
811760cb108b7bfa500708b39916b735.jpg

a3df20bdd74a1d3014201bd851adbe6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
You can buy a replacement primary clutch for $100 and a rebuilt crankshaft for $700, on Ebay. Swap out weights if necessary.

Premium Features