• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Weight wearing into spider

J
Oct 7, 2019
Do I need a new spider? A whole new clutch (seems I can't buy them separately)? New weights? Bought this sled used at 2700 miles, haven't used it yet. New to the sport. All three of the weights are wearing; two of them on the right (as shown) and one is wearing on the left.

Thanks in advance

IMG_20191007_173844772.jpg

o2bncamo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2009
wisconsin
New weights, you really need just the bushing. The damage to spider seems minimal.
The weight swings up and touches the spider because the bushing where the weight pivots is worn out.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
When the weights start to get loose, add a single Comet shim on the thrust side, or if sloppy enough, add one to each side. New bushings are likely in your future too.

WPS washers.JPG

johnsonracing

Just ride
Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2010
Spanish Fork, UT
Weight wearing into the spider is normally caused by clutch weight bushings that are long overdue for replacement. It normally wears the roller abnormally at the same time. At this point If you only change the weight bushings or weight the new bushing will wear out prematurely because the roller is now worn abnormally. At minimum I would rebuild the entire clutch and have it ballanced for miles of problem free clutch operation.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
As mentioned, worn out bushings cause the weights to rock side to side and contact the spider. Doesn't make for smooth clutch action and will probably affect the balance. You might get away with just new bushings and shims, but if it were me, I'd send it somewhere for a full rebuild and balance. If the PO let the weights get that bad, it's pretty likely he didn't do much other maintenance – pretty good chance your rollers and buttons are worn too. The places that do good work are slammed this time of year, so I wouldn't delay if you can afford it. If you can manage that, you'll eliminate a huge potential problem area and likely extend the life of the motor too. Oh, and don't take it to a dealer, personal experience here...

D
7 grams of unbalance equals 112 pound of rotating force at 8000 RPM on your clutch. With any material missing from your spider it only a guess how much it could be out of balance. Most clutch's are 6-10 grams out when they are new. Its your crank shaft that will pay the price.

Premium Features