• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Weight reduction on 16 Mountainhorse

H

hiltz

Oct 30, 2015
Edmonton, AB
Hey ya'll

I have a 16 mountainhorse 120ST and am looking for any tips or ideas to reduce the weight on the kit, both track and ski. I am considering the Aro ski but cant choke down the 650$ bill at the moment... but I am thinking i could replace some pieces or cut out some of the steel?? just anything to get the weight down cause it's ridiculous how heavy it is

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
You can run the aro ski on the old spindle. Its prolly better taht way since its stronger than the aro spindle. I think the only change is the bold is a little bigger so you gotta drill put the center bushing? Far as weight savings goes why the need to go super light? Some of the sx kits came without a metal tunnel and just a flap back there. It you did that you could chop the side panels as well. Prolly only loose 10 lbs.

E
Dec 19, 2007
It's not worth doing much work to reduce weight. if you are willing to hack stuff apart focus on moving the track forward and moving the rider back and run all the gas in the back with a remote pump. Also pay attention to shock preload, fork height and strut length. It's more critical on the older kits to make sure you don't have too much ski pressure. I have a 380 pound raptor snow bike that feels fairly light because track is moved forward and suspension is perfect. The foot pegs are basically on the drive axle. The aro might look lighter but it's still fairly heavy. The yeti is the only one light enough to brag about.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Also on a stock kit the aro ski feels heavier because it takes more arm strength to turn it. Expecially in harder snow. The ski is lighter but the deeper keels really dig in.

Premium Features