• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Waterproofing your sled deck/Deck Grip?

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
I just picked up a Silver Lake deck and while standing up on it mounted yesterday it occurred to me that maybe I should do some initial waterproofing before the season starts. I figured maybe just a light Thompson's Water Seal coat would do the job. Anyone do any kind of waterproofing to your plywood decking on your sled deck? What did you use? Any adverse effects?

Also, what about mounting something to grip once you get up on the deck? I was thinking of maybe using the extra Super-Glide pieces I have and turn them sideways. Maybe slice them into smaller sections and spread them out at the back section of the deck.

B
Oct 31, 2006
Bass Lake, CA
Clear water sealers, like Thompsons, are great waterproofers, but that's all they do. There is no protection offered by them against the UV rays of the sun, which is where the majority of wood damage and discoloration comes from. They also need to be reapplied every year. Unfortunately, the best way of getting protection from the sun, is with solid color stains, and paints, and they require a lot of upkeep on something like a sled deck. I have heard of people having the spray on truck bed liners, applied to their sled decks. Maximum protection for the wood, and available in many different colors. I hope someone who has done this would chime in, and give us a thumbs up or thumbs down.
BK

E
Jan 24, 2008
WA.
Ski guides really helped lower the friction of the carbides on my deck and trailer, I did however take old belts cut to about 12 inches and screwed them to the decking. Provides traction for the track and steps to help me when walking up and down the lowered trailer deck.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
figured maybe just a light Thompson's Water Seal coat would do the job. Anyone do any kind of waterproofing to your plywood decking on your sled deck? What did you use? Any adverse effects?

Also, what about mounting something to grip once you get up on the deck? I was thinking of maybe using the extra Super-Glide pieces I have and turn them sideways. Maybe slice them into smaller sections and spread them out at the back section of the deck.

I would put used oil on the deck before Thompson seal. Stuff is not very good.

I would coat the floor with an EPOXY RESIN.

None of that Home Depot crap. Get something like this or from somewhere else. I bought from these guys but don't know them except they take paypal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EPOXY-RESIN-SEAL...742.m153.l1262

Cut it with paint thinner to let it soack into the wood. Strong stuff.

Before it drys sprinkle sand on it to make in grip.

I bought 1.5 gallons cut it to 2 gallons and did a 20 x 8.5 trailer floor and undercarriage. Plus another 2 place open trailer and ramp. Plus sea kayaks and the kids small clubhouse.

Going on 3rd season with no rust / few scraps / holding strong.

After that go to junk yard and buy a ribbed bed liner $10 -$30 bucks) and cut it up for tracks for the ski carbides.

Yep ... cut some small strips for the track to get traction.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
I recoat my trailer deck about every other year if not every year. Kind of depends on it's color of when I do it. I simply use the Behr oil based natural color water seal. It darkens it a bit but seems to do a nice job and it looks good. I would say it's a bit slippery though in certain conditions during the winter.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Sounds like Epoxy Resin + Sand is the trick. I know my buddies flat bed (not really meant for sleds) we were using last year was slick as snot after a nice layer of snow/ice got on top. Trying to avoid that kinda trouble with my sled 7ft" up on my truck. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

B
Nov 6, 2021
United kingdom

None of that Home Depot crap. Get something like this or from somewhere else. I bought from these guys but don't know them except they take paypal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EPOXY-RESIN-SEAL...742.m153.l1262

I bought 1.5 gallons cut it to 2 gallons and did a 20 x 8.5 trailer floor and undercarriage. Plus another 2 place open trailer and ramp. Plus sea kayaks and the kids small clubhouse. waterproof deck Utah

After that go to junk yard and buy a ribbed bed liner $10 -$30 bucks) and cut it up for tracks for the ski carbides.

I picked up a pretty sweet used Triton 12' clamshell trailer. It had little use and the previous owner never installed any ski guides or track mats. So I'm thinking I would like to take this chance to do something with the decking before I install those items.

I have some nice gray Behr Deck Over from the Home Depot and thought it would be a good product to use on this.

Any thoughts??

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I tried it once and it peeled off. Maybe may prep was bad don't know? I have read others have had same issues. Talked with people who put it on decks and same trouble.

B
Nov 6, 2021
United kingdom

I bought 1.5 gallons cut it to 2 gallons and did a 20 x 8.5 trailer floor and undercarriage. Plus another 2 place open trailer and ramp. Plus sea kayaks and the kids small clubhouse.

waterproof deck Utah
I just got a new 2007 Floe 2 place trailer, does anybody recommend putting some sort of sealant on the wood deck surface before I start using it? Just curious... Thanks!

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Linseed Oil. Apply liberally. Helps preserve the wood. Inexpensive and not slippery.

Premium Features