• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

W WA fire danger....believe it or not

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
So either the most unbelievable thing in the world happened or it's a little crispy out in King County, you know since the snow just melted a couple weeks ago and hasn't rained for a few days, lol.
Sat evening, neighbor calls me, says his son and buddies lit a bottle rocket into the woods behind our houses. Bottle rocket hit a big tree, like halfway up, ignited the moss on the tree. (I can't make this stuff up)
Moss burns straight up the tree to the top and out on the big limbs.
But wait folks, that's not all. In a Y up near the top and where another tree is intertwined with it, it starts the tree on fire. 40' in the air. Dropping little embers and chunks of burning wood.
Ended up I. Just dropped the 2 trees and the kids packed some water down the hill and I cut out all the burning wood.
Until things green up and start growing again it's actually dry out...

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Yeah I noticed that some of my Hemlocks are starting to die over the past couple of years due to drier then normal conditions.

Mowed the lawn for the first time this year tonight and it was a dust bowl! Definitely need some rain and cooler temps so that it snows at riding elevations:face-icon-small-win

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Yeah I noticed that some of my Hemlocks are starting to die over the past couple of years due to drier then normal conditions.

Mowed the lawn for the first time this year tonight and it was a dust bowl! Definitely need some rain and cooler temps so that it snows at riding elevations:face-icon-small-win
Yeah weird about the hemlocks dying. I had most of mine die in the last 2 years. Global hemlock warming?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Yeah weird about the hemlocks dying. I had most of mine die in the last 2 years. Global hemlock warming?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I think that the warmer/drier temps are pushing the water table deeper, which may be effecting how much water they can get. Probably effects how resistant they are to disease as well I'm guessing.

A
Jan 13, 2012
Central Washington
In 1982 I was in the first Technical Fire Management program at the University of Washington. One of the professors predicted that eventually there would be a catastrophic wild-land urban interface fire in the greater Seattle area.

It looks like conditions may be getting set up for that to happen. If I lived over there I would be doing some fire hazard reduction around my house.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Didn't somebody say the world was going to end in 2000 too? Man I'm glad I didn't waste money on college and decided to start a business instead :face-icon-small-dis

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
TREES & BRUSH

Thanks to those who think we should have 80 + trees per acre, and mounds of under brush as well, Yeah, hang on it's gonna get ugly........
It's all fine and dandy until someone lights a match!!!

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
Over here on the Olympic Peninsula we have had a couple fairly large brush fires (for our area) already. Yesterday with the wind the FF's had to work their butts off to keep it from spreading.

Premium Features