• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Voltage regulator? IDK

P
Jul 30, 2021
Washington
I have a 2009 dragon 800.
About 20 miles into my ride on Sunday my dash went out, and seldom came back on during high revs. The riders in front of me said they noticed my head lights would dim then go completely dead. Shortly their after the sled would just quit, shut down....... but on first pull I could start it back up!! Sometimes it would be 50 yards between issues other times it might be a mile or more. Bumps really didn't matter except once.

Looking for help, really don't want to through parts at it. It won't duplicate and no flash codes.

Thanks in advance

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
VR
My '10 660 did the same thing a while back.
My dealer at the time told me that they get too hot. There is a little black box piggy backed on top of it that I was instructed to move. I put holes in the aluminum cover and cut out a section of the insulation foam to help the VR breathe, then turned the black box over and mounted under the plastic top cover.
I also installed a Clear/Ethanol switch in the cover instead of the mickey-mouse setup Polaris offered.

IMGP6392.JPG Cap smaller.JPG IMGP4202.JPG

P
Jul 30, 2021
Washington
So you replaced nothing?
The issue never resurfaced?
That would be fantastic!

Did your engine go so far as shutting down?
I've read some threads where lights, display, hand warmers shut down but not the engine.

Oh yeah grip heaters not working either

P
Jul 30, 2021
Washington
VR
My '10 660 did the same thing a while back.
My dealer at the time told me that they get too hot. There is a little black box piggy backed on top of it that I was instructed to move. I put holes in the aluminum cover and cut out a section of the insulation foam to help the VR breathe, then turned the black box over and mounted under the plastic top cover.
I also installed a Clear/Ethanol switch in the cover instead of the mickey-mouse setup Polaris offered.
Oh yeah I'm not sure what the clear ethanol thingy is..

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Oh, I got the enjoyment of replacing the VR. My dealer said that if I didn't take measures to keep it cool it would do it again.
The ethanol "plug" is used for running either gas option. I just wired in the switch in so I didn't have to monkey with the plug.

IMGP5420.JPG

G
Jan 1, 2022
Ogden, Utah
I think I have the same issue. I picked up a non running 08 D8 for $1000 the other day. Got it running today but the gauge doesn't work and the lights are very dim. I just started it in my drive way and idles great. However, I have to open the throttle wide open when starting. It will start of fuel but takes a lot of pull but as soon as I shoot some starting fluid starts right up first pull. I am wondering if this for some reason because of the VR. Also don't think my Reverse works and hand warmers work again probably tied to the VR?

When you replaced your VR, Did you go aftermarket or OEM?

Also does any one know how to tell if the ECU is bad?

P
Jul 30, 2021
Washington
I think I have the same issue. I picked up a non running 08 D8 for $1000 the other day. Got it running today but the gauge doesn't work and the lights are very dim. I just started it in my drive way and idles great. However, I have to open the throttle wide open when starting. It will start of fuel but takes a lot of pull but as soon as I shoot some starting fluid starts right up first pull. I am wondering if this for some reason because of the VR. Also don't think my Reverse works and hand warmers work again probably tied to the VR?

When you replaced your VR, Did you go aftermarket or OEM?

Also does any one know how to tell if the ECU is bad?
I ponies up. OEM, EXPENSIVE!!!! However the options were $20-120 and if the VR goes out totally and fried your ECU that's $800-1200. So I ponied up.
I haven't had a full day out on the trail yet, I'll report back my fix or fail. Lol.

Good luck

G
Jan 1, 2022
Ogden, Utah
I ponies up. OEM, EXPENSIVE!!!! However the options were $20-120 and if the VR goes out totally and fried your ECU that's $800-1200. So I ponied up.
I haven't had a full day out on the trail yet, I'll report back my fix or fail. Lol.

Good luck
Ya that’s what I’ll be doing. I bought one of the classifieds but think it’s the older model VR. He said it worked when parting out his machine… however tried it tonight lights were still dim but a little brighter. But still no gauge. Wonder if the ecu is bad too. I need to test the voltage regulator but trying to figure out the best way.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Ya that’s what I’ll be doing. I bought one of the classifieds but think it’s the older model VR. He said it worked when parting out his machine… however tried it tonight lights were still dim but a little brighter. But still no gauge. Wonder if the ecu is bad too. I need to test the voltage regulator but trying to figure out the best way.
If you do need a new one get the part #4013587 as it has protection built in so ECU won't fry if it goes bad.

Attachments

• Polaris IQ voltage regulator testing.pdf
    174.5 KB · Views: 12
Premium Features