• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Viper vs sidewinder

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Just curious whose running a 190mcx viper and how does it compare to a sidewinder on handling? Essentially it’s the same chassis with different center of gravity with the motors.
I sold my 17 174 Sidewinder(should of left it 162 for the riding we do) and went to a 18 cat. This sled was a blast to ride so I figured the alpha should be better. So bought a 20 alpha...was having issues with the rail and it soured me a bit so bailed on that sled.
9419F7BD-3ED0-4B95-8873-E3A5DE7B14EE.jpeg
So currently sled-less. Not sure how much sledding I’ll get to this year but want something to ride with the kids.....Thinking of picking up a viper with a 190mcx kit.
Just curious what guys think that have owned both.

X
Oct 8, 2009
I own a built viper and have ridden winders. To me, the 190 kit sleds are weak. In that case, go winder all day. In the end, they ride very similar because they are essentially the same sled. The cg is not that different. I would go winder if I were to start a new build. There is no reason to go backward when the winder is so cheap to build power with. A viper is capped around 270 hp. A winder motor can handle over 300 easily. To go over 300 with a viper costs a lot more. Once they are both built, they are essentially the same.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I've owned a viper. I have not ridden a sidewinder.. I will later this year as my brother in-law just bought one. Everyone always told me the sidewinder is way different in handling. Personally I think its BS. Maybe the 18+ with the drop and roll chain case will feel a little different.. but I don't think it'll be earth shattering.

Personally I'd just go with another twin rail cat if I were you. I'm totally against 4 strokes now after riding one for a few years.. So I may be a little biased towards 2 stroke. I just think they are way more fun honestly.

The vipers had a lot of starting issues that you probably didn't encounter with the sidewinder. It can be a nightmare if you have issues. Rolling a viper over isn't as easy as a sidewinder either, as the oil resi isn't baffled quite as well and it don't have a factory roll over valve like the Sidewinder. Also, you'll have the older style plastics that were absolutely atrocious compared to the new style you had on the sidewinder..

If you miss the power, look into a Summit Turbo with t-motion delete and a non flex edge track..

That's my two cents.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Turblue, I ride a 17 King Cat ( same as a 18 Winder sans clutches), and being from Alberta, guessing we ride similar terrain in B.C. A viper and/or a 1100T just doesn’t work as well stock to stock, period. But if you find the right deal, they can be, with an extra cash infusion. Nytro isn’t even close, unless the pervious owner spent large coin to make it into anything but a nytro. I built a few, love 4S Turbo power, but the Winder / King Cat really raised the bar...

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Yeah similar terrain for sure. I’ve ditched the idea of a nytro. Probably a viper for now unless the right deal comes on a sidewinder. I just don’t want to have a bunch of money tied up in a sled this year if I can’t get out as much as I should.

Motorbreath, I totally get your comments. I thought about going back to a twin rail cat but I do miss the 4 stroke. As hard as that is to believe.

I was wondering how the roll overs work on the vipers. So there is something compared to a nytro?Thanks for the comments.

Premium Features