• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Video Editting Help?!

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
So i am looking for some advice on what software to invest in.

I have been getting further into videography, photography and alot of video coming from GoPro 3+. I have surpassed the ability of the GoPro editing ap, and I need to get a real piece of software.

Any advice?

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Sony Vegas, or Adobe After Effects, those both are great editing software. I personally have Sony Vegas 12. It has a huge learning curve in comparison to the go pro editing software. But once you know how to use it, it's by far superior in comparison to the gopro software. I'm still in the learning curve myself. And another thing, sony vegas take a LOT of computer to run. the preview takes a lot of juice and for my computer i find it struggles some times.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks for the advice ill look into them!

Im running a fully loaded 2014 Dell XPS Ultra book. It has a resolution of 3200X1800, 16gb ram on a 2.2 ghz I7 and 500gb SSD. I know i need a desktop eventually for getting into this, but for now im hoping this will do.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Why would you use after effects? I figured it would be premiere if i was doing adobe?

Also I will be taking come courses up at college and i realise the jump from the go pro software to software like this is crazy. Kinda like going from the kittycat to my turbo nytro haha

dboe03

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2014
Fargo, ND
Bringing this post back up, but I just got done editing my first video using iMovie on my Mac. I have some basic knowledge of editing as I did some in high school (about 12 years ago!) but also in college. I found the iMovie/iDVD programs were really great and did almost everything I was hoping to do. I'm still finding out a few tricks, but one I was really hoping to do was a side by side clip (2 cameras showing same shot) but I can't figure it out. That is the only thing lacking so far......

Z
May 12, 2016
If you just need to trim, crop, merge videos, some common free video converters like Windows Movie Maker, Freemake, Format Factory, etc are enough for you.
You may turn to professional editor like Adobe Premiere pro, Sony Vegas Pro, Cyberlink PowerDirector...if you need more.
I recommend Corel VideoStudio. Simple and user-friendly for beginner.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Just another vote for Vegas. I'm currently checking out the new version of Vegas 14, but generally here's the whole line up of what I use to edit:

Sony Vegas 13/Magix Vegas 14 - main editing suite
ProDrenalin v1.0/2.0 - video stabilization and removing 'fish eye'
Hyperlapse - video stabilization, speeding up long helmet cam clips
GoPro Studio - Flux to create awesome slow motion

Just for reference, I've been making videos over a decade now...

R

RS_Rider

Nov 14, 2014
Northern WI & UP of MI
If you were to go with an Adobe product, and only one product for now, i'd say go for Premiere Pro. It's a great program, and if you feel like you want to do even heavier editing with many effects, then I'd say get after effects to compliment and work with premiere pro. I would not recommend getting after effects before premiere pro. After Effects is designed for giving clips some solid effects whereas Premiere is for the actual building of a video clip (and has some effects as well). Many many YouTube videos and tutorials for using any of these products.

Hope this helps!

Premium Features