• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Using scales to set-up snow bike

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
Has anyone used scales to set-up a snow bike? If so what weight distribution did you use? Just curious, I have done this with snowmobiles and was thinking it might work on a snow bike.

P
Dec 4, 2018
I have. I can't really give you a weight distribution to shoot for, but it was very useful in determining how the subtle spring adjustments, strut adjustments, fork positions, fork air pressure, ect. change where the weight is being carried. I made a spreadsheet to record how all the adjustments and changes effect the weights. Make sure you are on the bike when you record the changes. Weighing just the bike alone doesn't tell you as much.

XDqOEOK.jpg

nqtjUke.jpg

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
praisegeetarman, great info. For those of us who have not played with these settings much is there a line of settings that worked best. I guess a general recommendation based on your testing? thanks

P
Dec 4, 2018
praisegeetarman, great info. For those of us who have not played with these settings much is there a line of settings that worked best. I guess a general recommendation based on your testing? thanks
Ok, so here is my disclaimer. I have only been riding a snowbike for 3 years. I've ridden snowmobiles all my life, but am still learning what works on snowbikes.

Using the scales and logging all the results of the different settings told a lot. It revealed exactly how much spring pressure was required of the front track shock to support the bike. Less front track shock spring pressure caused more weight on the ski, more front track shock pressure tends to cause trenching. This seems to be a fine line on the Yeti because it rides much flatter than the CMX I rode my first 2 years. On the Yeti I always seem to be trying to get the front end up while riding through holes and bumps. Again, I found the weights with the rider on to be much more telling.
Strut adjustment played a huge factor in the weights. This adjustment was more difficult on the Yeti. The Yeti suspension moves much easier, so without supporting the bike just right while measuring for strut adjustment you don't really know if the suspension is collapsed at all while sitting on the shop floor.
Once the strut is set and the front skid spring is at the point I wanted I noticed that the rear skid shock setting started to affect the ski weight a lot. I try to run as little rear skid shock spring as I can without having wheelie issues climbing steep stuff.

I learned a bunch more, but trying not to write a book.

Keith

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Keith, thanks for reply. I have the air shocks on my yeti (120) and the limited adjustments i have made are consistant with your statements above. I was able to move my kit all the way forward in the adjustment and remove a chain link from how I bought it. With the kit forward I can make it wheely easily with additional air in the front skid shock while leaving less air in the rear shock. I haven't tested enough but, it climbs better when I add air to the rear and limit the wheelie effect, but then steering is a bit harder. btw, I have my strut rod at minimum length. More testing I quess.

P
Dec 4, 2018
Keith, thanks for reply. I have the air shocks on my yeti (120) and the limited adjustments i have made are consistant with your statements above. I was able to move my kit all the way forward in the adjustment and remove a chain link from how I bought it. With the kit forward I can make it wheely easily with additional air in the front skid shock while leaving less air in the rear shock. I haven't tested enough but, it climbs better when I add air to the rear and limit the wheelie effect, but then steering is a bit harder. btw, I have my strut rod at minimum length. More testing I quess.
Sounds right. My kit has the Elka shocks with compression dampening adjustment. I use those adjusters to transition from playful wheelie trail riding (never as playful as the CMX kit) to deep powder snow/climbing. For trail and most playfulness I put the front skid shock compression dampening at max, rear skid shock at minimum. When I want it to climb up on the powder snow and not wheelie climbing, front skid shock minimum compression dampening and rear skid shock at max.

I have my soft strut set with the track at the rear scissor 3/4" off the ground, but again, that is with the bike carefully held up so the suspension is for sure all the way out.

Keith

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I want to bring this back again. I've been tuning my 2022 Riot 3 S pro and have been finding all sorts of interesting info using scales and like praiswgeetarman pointed out there are no universal numbers. It's been very interesting to tune the pro with the new shocks; for example I can change weight distribution by simply changing the compression dampening, put rear skid on 3 front skid on 1 and I move about 60 lbs to the rear with about another 20 lbs going to the ski. Anyway I was wondering if anyone else was looking at this. Cheers

Premium Features