• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Used 2015/2016 Summit Reliability difference with Gen 4

Hi All,

(posted in another section but in case the Gen 4 folks don't see it posting here too as some may have come from the prev gen)

Assuming under 2000 miles on a used sled, for backcountry riding and some snow camping, would there be a notable difference in reliability of a 2015/16 Summit vs. say a 2019 (or a 2017/18 with the updates)?

Since I'd be riding further from the trails reliability is far more important to me than improvements in performance. If the performance is dramatic, I'd consider it but I'm not looking to go nuts. Mostly looking for great backcountry access without getting stranded or a long tow back.

Thanks,

s

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
I believe reliability is similar given same km / wear. The '19 is a substential improvement ride-wise, but the price point is also much higher. Find a good condition unit and go with what your budget allow. I wouldn't sweat running a 800.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
If you can get either sled from a older guy/ gal that just ride trails they last a long time. Example my relative is retired and has a trapping line that he checks daily all winter and he has over 8000 miles on a 850 but all trail miles carrying his traps around a little bit off road that's it. Now could I get that many miles on mine the way I ride maybe but probably not lol.

W
Apr 4, 2018
Its hard to beat the reliability of the 800etec. I just don't think the 850 has near the longevity, especially the 2017's. That said the 850 is great power but if you're after reliability, the 800 is the winner.

Premium Features