• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Upgraded / New BCA Mountain Pro Vest

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Main compartment with internal tool pockets for should and probe
External shovel carry system with shovel shaft quick lock attachment
Internal accessory pocket
Zipper access for trigger/BC Link radio or hydration system
Compression straps
Padded rib guards
Articulated shoulder pads
(Two) large gusseted front pockets
Padded chest ptotection

Pack Volume: 20 Liters / 1,220 cubic inches
Weight: 8.8 pounds / 3,978 g (full system with full cylinder)
7.3 pounds / 3,329 g (full system without cylinder)
5.7 pounds / 2,572 g (vest/pack only).
Color: Black/Orange (M/L), Black/Yellow (XL/XXL)

Main differences on the new model will be the size, larger main compartment, new pockets on the front, integrated shovel holder, articulating shoulder pads and availability in two sizes and the new color.

bca_media_FloatMtnPro_green_vest-pack_3000x3000.jpg

bca_media_FloatMtnPro_green_front-pack_3000x3000.jpg

bca_media_FloatMtnPro_orange_vest-pack_3000x3000.jpg

bca_media_FloatMtnPro_orange_front-pack_3000x3000.jpg

Last edited:

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Looks nice. I like the shovel holder how it has snap in clicks and the little part that holds the handle up top. I also noticed that the bottom part of the vest and zipper is kind of rolled back towards the person, hopefully that helps with stopping the bottom from V-ing out catching the mountain bar. But I still like my original bca vest pack and this isn't enough to make we go for a new one.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Tried these on at Haydays... nice, BUT the sizing did not work for me at 6'2 165. The front of the L/XL is too long (I need a bigger belly I guess) and pushes on my thighs/crotch when sitting, and the M/L articulated shoulders are too narrow and make it super uncomfortable in that area. Both BIG issues. Guess I need to try on the older model.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Tried these on at Haydays... nice, BUT the sizing did not work for me at 6'2 165. The front of the L/XL is too long (I need a bigger belly I guess) and pushes on my thighs/crotch when sitting, and the M/L articulated shoulders are too narrow and make it super uncomfortable in that area. Both BIG issues. Guess I need to try on the older model.

Interesting!!!

The vest length was one thing that was mentioned to me by BCA staff. The XL /XXL does have a longer front panel on the new vest. I wasn't quite sure about this when I heard that as I don't want that front panel being to long!! The last thing I want is the bottom of the vest catching and getting in the way.

I have both sizes on order and plan on trying them on when they arrive. From that point, I'll decide whether to keep my current BCA Mountain Pro Vest or upgrade????

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
UPDATE----------------------

Just received two brand new BCA Mountain Pro Vests, one in each size.

In comparing the two, right off the bat you will notice the new model is a different material. Its basically a cordura verses the old model where its a softer material. Overall fit of the new M / L feels close to the original one and the XL / XXL is bigger.

Both sizes on the new model are 3/4" longer on the front. The old one is 17 1/4" and the new one is about 18"

Zipper pull on the new models are a little different with an extra rubber coating on them verses the sewn on material for pull on the old one.

New one has a metal D-ring for your tether and old one is plastic.

Here's some pics of the old and the new for comparisons.

IMG_2499.jpg

Front pockets on the new one are actually usable. It also contains an interior pocket to hold your beacon. Last year's model shown above only has a beacon pouch and a very small zippered pocket that is pretty much unusable.

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
The external shovel carrier on the back is nicer then the optional add on shovel carrier from last year. It has buckles that unbuckle to gain access to the interior of the pack where as the old model has fixed hooks you have to work around. Not a huge deal but the new model is an improvement here. There is also an added zippered pocked at the top of the pack on the outside, which really doesn't hold much but does offer an extra pocket that is easy to access.

IMG_2504.jpg

The back pack portion of the new one has a lighter color interior, which makes it brighter and easier to see the contents. The overall interior layout really didn't change much. One thing that was odd, was the fact that the new vest does NOT have a radio holder like the old one. It does have a basic clip that you just clip the radio to instead of the actual holder.

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

One other difference was the main waist buckle is different as well. The new one is smaller and lighter weight and the old one is slightly bigger and seems a little beefier.

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Thank you for posting! I'm curious why there isn't a place for the radio....

I edited my post....... The new one has a radio clip holder. Instead of the nice pocket and velcro strap to hold the radio in, it now has a small strap that you clip the radio to.

It will probably work but at first glance, it doesn't look as nice as the previous model with the special pocket. Plus the radio now sits right on the air tank. I'm not sure if I'll use that holder????? I don't care for the way it sits on the bottle and raises the radio up instead of being inside the pack and secure, if that makes sense?

Here's some pics,

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
If anyone is interested, I have my BCA Mountain Pro Vest listed in the Swap section. It's a great vest and its basically like new!!

I also will be listing a brand new 2018 XL /XXL Mountain Pro Vest with the tags still on it, probably soon as well.

F
Thanks for all the info on the vest!

I bought a used Mountain Pro from a good friend who isn’t riding much anymore for $450 with the canister. I like the feel of it so far and can’t wait to see how the fit and feel is while riding.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Is the main difference the external shovel pack? My external shovel pack just holds a bunch of snow. Not sure that that is a win. negligibile.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Is the main difference the external shovel pack? My external shovel pack just holds a bunch of snow. Not sure that that is a win. negligibile.

The biggest difference you will notice right away is the material. The new one is more of a cordura material verses the soft material on the original model. The new material will definitely hold up better against branches or anything else you want to throw at it.

The next biggest difference is the front pockets. The new one actually has two "usable" pockets whereas the original only has the beacon pocket and that tiny little pocket that doesn't work for much of anything. These new pockets, you could actually put a balaclava in, a smaller pair of gloves, trail map, a snack or other various items. There actually usable.

Also is the external shovel holder, which is a nicer design. It's easier to get into the pack and the holder itself is just an overall improvement.

J
Oct 24, 2009
Freeland MI
If anyone is interested, I have my BCA Mountain Pro Vest listed in the Swap section. It's a great vest and its basically like new!!

I also will be listing a brand new 2018 XL /XXL Mountain Pro Vest with the tags still on it, probably soon as well.

If you don' mind, what size are you that you decided you liked the M/L size over the bigger size? I've worn the previous model and it fit fine but I'm larger in the waist, 6"0, 220lbs.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
If you don' mind, what size are you that you decided you liked the M/L size over the bigger size? I've worn the previous model and it fit fine but I'm larger in the waist, 6"0, 220lbs.

I basically could make both fit but it seemed like the M/L just fit a little better and I didn't have as much access strapping everywhere.

I'm 6 foot, 240 with about a 34" waist and a 46 / 48 chest, if that helps at all????

J
Oct 24, 2009
Freeland MI
I basically could make both fit but it seemed like the M/L just fit a little better and I didn't have as much access strapping everywhere.

I'm 6 foot, 240 with about a 34" waist and a 46 / 48 chest, if that helps at all????

Perfect, I'll go with the M/L. Here in Michigan I don't have anywhere to try these on unless I do what you did so this helps a lot with online ordering. Thanks

Premium Features