• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Upgrade trucks ?????

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Okay guys looking for a little advice from any of the guys who have any experience with the new 7.3 gasser from Ford.

I currently have a 2016 SD Platinum with the 6.2 / 4.30 gears and the truck has been awesome! i bought the truck new and I've got about 11,000 miles and it has only been used for road trips. Yes, it's basically new but.........I've really been drawn to the new 7.3, the new body style and the new transmission!!

I'm currently looking at a 2020 SD Platinum Tremor Package with the 7.3 / 4.30 gears.

Thoughts?????????????

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I don't have any experience but I'm interested in the same thing! Coming from a half ton EB, I want the heavier truck but don't necessarily need or want the cost of a diesel for the amount of use.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Also sort of in the same boat... Currently have 2007 LBZ, but the age is starting to scare me a little, we typically drive around 14 hours to riide and are in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night quite often, so reliability is maybe a little more important that vehicle that rarely goes more than 50 miles from home. Not sure if I want another diesel- BUT resale is so much better with a diesel if one can handle the initial price tag. I bet you will find your cost per mile on a 6.2 with 11,000 miles is quite high :)

NO first hand experience here, but sounds like the 7.3/4.30 is an animal for towing. Poor MPG especially when not towing. Issues with spark plug wires- not sure if this is fully resolved, but Ford has acknowledged the problem, so they are working on it. People LOVE the new transmission.

Keep in mind that in about a year they will likely upgrade the 250/350 like they did the half ton for 2021. Might be worth it to keep your current ride for another year.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Ford truck forum I follow sounds like there are a few of the 2020 10speeds mated to the 7.3 that have some weird shifting issues and a few transmissions that have gotten replaced under warranty. None of those complaints from the diesel crowd so probably a calibration or assembly run issue. And when I say a few that's all it seems to be. Less blown out of proportion than a lot of things I see on here. Hopefully fixed on the '21s. Updated interior likely coming on the 2022's would be nice, but the truck market seems to be pulling a premium for good used ones since production of new trucks was down this year. So chances of getting the most out of your "old" one might be best right now.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i have a 20 f-250 lariat with 7.3 and 10 speed, 4.30 gears....5k miles on it....tow 12k boat....have had in the past, 17 with 6.2, many ford and dodge diesels for last 35 years....7.3 tows better than 6.2, but not like totally awesome, just a nice increase over the 6.2, the 10 spd makes as much difference as the engine towing (always a gear with not too big a jump, like the 6 spd sometimes has)...the truck rides empty a lot better than my 17 f-250, loaded, about the same....gas mileage is about 1/2 mpg better than the 6.2, both towing and empty, about 9.5 pulling boat and 15-17 empty....17 powerstroke pulled same boat at 10.8 and averaged 17 empty, unless you wanted to go 75 or more on freeway where it dropped off pretty quick....superduties are in high demand right now and i got very good returns on the sale of my f-350 diesel and 6.2 also....i like the gas engines being cheaper to run and less maintenance overall, at least so far....don't see a reason to go back to diesel power unless you're pulling over 10k on a regular basis, or you just like them....if i had a 6.2 like you're saying i would keep it until new truck comes out and kind of make sure the 7.3 doesn't come up with some problems....i traded my 6.2 for more power on the bigger hills, got a crew shortbed in place of the long bed, which helped on garage space, and i just wanted to

D
Jan 2, 2009
Coquitlam, BC
Okay guys looking for a little advice from any of the guys who have any experience with the new 7.3 gasser from Ford.

I currently have a 2016 SD Platinum with the 6.2 / 4.30 gears and the truck has been awesome! i bought the truck new and I've got about 11,000 miles and it has only been used for road trips. Yes, it's basically new but.........I've really been drawn to the new 7.3, the new body style and the new transmission!!

I'm currently looking at a 2020 SD Platinum Tremor Package with the 7.3 / 4.30 gears.

Thoughts?????????????
2500 miles/yr?? That is one expensive ride you got going on. Must be nice to burn $$.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I guess I should add that I just received final numbers on trading and I'm basically getting what I paid for my truck 4 years ago on trade and the new is discounted pretty good.

Making the jump, would mean new motor, new tranny and obviously the new body style with more room and options. Normally I'm not a guy that needs the latest and greatest and if a guy says.......I'll wait until next year because ______ is coming out, then you're always waiting for the next best thing. And.......the sooner you buy one, the sooner it's paid off!!

They're treating me good on trade as well as the new vehicle price and I'm making some good upgrades, I think it's going to happen.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Post up some pics and experience once you get it. I'm interested.....

Most definitely!!

Already got a whole host of accessories waiting in the garage and next week once it get's here, the rims and tires go on!!

I'm super anxious to hook up and head out west to see how she does !!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Well she got delivered the other day and I now have a whopping 30 miles on her .....

Wheels and tires....done, now onto some other accessories!!!

d973113fd9d4430809b7cbfef6774071.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Well she got delivered the other day and I now have a whopping 30 miles on her .....

Wheels and tires....done, now onto some other accessories!!!

d973113fd9d4430809b7cbfef6774071.jpg

Can't wait to hear how it tows compared to your last truck! Amazing looking truck!!!!!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Thanks !!
Now I cannot wait to hook up and head west with her!!

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Nice looking truck!
But for as much as you drive, I’d rent one....

Lol!!

You mean leasing......no thanks. When I’m done with them I have a low mileage truck that has been taken care of extremely well and it’s worth something.

T
Nov 11, 2008
Also sort of in the same boat... Currently have 2007 LBZ, but the age is starting to scare me a little, we typically drive around 14 hours to riide and are in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night quite often, so reliability is maybe a little more important that vehicle that rarely goes more than 50 miles from home. Not sure if I want another diesel- BUT resale is so much better with a diesel if one can handle the initial price tag. I bet you will find your cost per mile on a 6.2 with 11,000 miles is quite high :)

NO first hand experience here, but sounds like the 7.3/4.30 is an animal for towing. Poor MPG especially when not towing. Issues with spark plug wires- not sure if this is fully resolved, but Ford has acknowledged the problem, so they are working on it. People LOVE the new transmission.

Keep in mind that in about a year they will likely upgrade the 250/350 like they did the half ton for 2021. Might be worth it to keep your current ride for another year.

Why would you be scared of running a LBZ? Unless you haven’t maintained it well you have one of the most desired platforms for hauling. Great trans, proven reliability, almost all known issues have fixes. Aside from the powertrain there are very few issues with the rest of the truck.

The big gassers are nice but I wouldn’t want to haul regularly with one and resale on a miled out one is very low.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Why would you be scared of running a LBZ? Unless you haven’t maintained it well you have one of the most desired platforms for hauling. Great trans, proven reliability, almost all known issues have fixes. Aside from the powertrain there are very few issues with the rest of the truck.

The big gassers are nice but I wouldn’t want to haul regularly with one and resale on a miled out one is very low.

Simply the age, like stated. I really don’t have any specific concerns, but I would certainly expect more issues from a 13 year old pickup with 150k than a new(er) one... knock on wood.

I’ve since picked up a 2020 L5P.

LBZ gonna be for sale here eventually.

T
Nov 11, 2008
Simply the age, like stated. I really don’t have any specific concerns, but I would certainly expect more issues from a 13 year old pickup with 150k than a new(er) one... knock on wood.

I’ve since picked up a 2020 L5P.

LBZ gonna be for sale here eventually.

150k! Barely broken in lol

You will obviously enjoy the new truck and warranty has its pluses. Just so much more to go wrong with these newer trucks. Should have deleted mine from new. Oh well, after winter.

Premium Features