• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

UP Riding

F
Feb 4, 2008
ND
Greetings - I have a group planning to make a trip to the UP this winter. We usually ride Wyoming, MN, and ND. We're excited to make the trip to Michigan.

Looking for suggestions for some off trail deep snow areas to ride. Also looking for lodging suggestions. We were thinking Ontonagon county area or western UP.

Anything anyone has is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Head a further north towards Houghton. More amenities and usually plenty of snow north and south.
Good luck should be another deep year up there.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
We usually stay in Bergland. The deeper snow tends to be from Twin Lakes and all the way up the Keeweenaw. Less traffic north of Houghton, but less amenities. Lot's of logging roads that lead to the good stuff.
Bergland area on the weekends is full of morons. By morons I mean the type of riders who think helmet mohawks and accent lights on their running boards are cool.

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
We usually stay in twin lakes at Parkview lodge or Wyandotte Hills golf club. Ride north from there towards Houghton. I've heard Parkview is now closed tho. Great riding. There are power lines that run along the trail and can boondock from there. Not much for a nightlife, especially if Parkview is closed. If you want a nightlife I would recommend staying closer to Houghton. Wildlife Refuge is about halfway between twin lakes and Houghton. You can drive the highway or ride the trail to Houghton from there, they run next to each other. Good luck! Shoot me a PM if you go, I plan on spending some time up there this year

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Any where north of 28 is usually steller. I know a lot of folks ride the west side but we ride the east, middle and the west. There are great things about all of these locations.

T
Dec 3, 2014
does anybody actually know where those kids in the youtube video "natural frequency" were riding. i came across that video last winter about this time and was curious about it myself.

thanks in advance

S

Suprx125

Dec 21, 2012
does anybody actually know where those kids in the youtube video "natural frequency" were riding. i came across that video last winter about this time and was curious about it myself.

thanks in advance

Keweenaw Peninsula, I don't think they say exactly where in the peninsula though.

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
Greetings - I have a group planning to make a trip to the UP this winter. We usually ride Wyoming, MN, and ND. We're excited to make the trip to Michigan.

Looking for suggestions for some off trail deep snow areas to ride. Also looking for lodging suggestions. We were thinking Ontonagon county area or western UP.

Anything anyone has is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wait a second....You live in Utah and are driving to Michigan to ride off trail?! SMH. I love UP riding, but it is a much closer drive for me. I frequent CO and would always pick the mountains over the UP. Don't you have to drive thru a few mtn ranges to get to the flatlands?!?!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Wait a second....You live in Utah and are driving to Michigan to ride off trail?! SMH. I love UP riding, but it is a much closer drive for me. I frequent CO and would always pick the mountains over the UP. Don't you have to drive thru a few mtn ranges to get to the flatlands?!?!

Good point! :face-icon-small-coo

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
The Huron mountain area, west of marquette Mi, has some seriously deep snow, great terrain, and hardly anyone rides long tracks there.

F
Feb 4, 2008
ND

I live in North Dakota. If I lived in Utah I still might visit Michigan but I'd probably leave the sled at home!

Heading to Houghton area this week.

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
Maybe we will pass each other on the road. I'm heading to rabbit ears or Wolf Creek in CO. Have fun and let us know how the snow is!

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
Thinking of making an end of the season off trail ride near Houghton. Anyone have any updates on how the snow is? I know it's warm but I think they had a good amount on the ground.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Thinking of making an end of the season off trail ride near Houghton. Anyone have any updates on how the snow is? I know it's warm but I think they had a good amount on the ground.

Might want to hurry up and get your ride in. It go warm fast here and knocked a lot of snow down. I know in my area the snow is getting hard.

Premium Features