• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

UP place to stay

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
Hey guys, we are planning a last minute trip to the u.p. To ride a couple days. Can you recommend any places to stay? We usually stay in toivola at Krupps, but they are booked for our dates. We like to play on the logging roads and power lines, so any help appreciated, thanks!

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
Ok, I will check into it. I have not stayed that Far East before. Thanks!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
We have some friends there riding today and tomorrow. They are staying in Twin Lakes somewhere. I will try to get you a riding report.

RexFlex23

Premium Member
Oct 29, 2010
Minnesota
http://yooperlodge.weebly.com/ ~ Twin Lakes
http://www.dsbasecamp.com/ ~ Toivola
http://www.wildliferefugecabins.com/ ~ South Range
https://www.vrbo.com/634686 ~ Chassel
Krupps in Twin Lakes

Yooper lodge is just south of Krupps Mini-Mart, they have a few cabins that are located South of Krupps a mile or two. Ride from your door. No fuel so use Krupps

D's Basecamp is ride from your door, no fuel so would need to run down to Krupps (10 ish miles 1 way).

vrbo in Chassel, trail runs right by the front door but would probably need/want to trailer over to Toivola, Twin Lakes for logging roads, it's a haul trail wise.

I have parked at Krupps and at the Mosquito Inn (between Twin Lakes and Toivola heading North from Krupps) before. Park out of the way and buy some food, soda, beer, whatever for the parking spot.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Just got a report from friends that are there right now. They are at Krupps. Riding is okay but not great. They are headed 30 miles north tomorrow. $.02

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
Thanks guys! I didn't expect snow to be awesome this early but it's supposed to be 37 and raining here at home on Christmas so that will kill the snow we do have. Has anyone ever stayed in houghton and rode north of there, we've made it to houghton but usually turn around and head back from there.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Yes!!! there are some decent places to ride in the sticks between houghton and copper harbor. I prefer to stay south of houghton but it is nice up north.

B

Bcorn

Dec 29, 2013
South shore Lake Superior
Wildlife cabins,South Range just south of Houghton.I have never personally stayed there always stay at Krupps but might be worth a try. I'm going to try the Baraga lakeside inn when I head up with my wife for a couple days in January.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
They got 5 feet in a matter of 2 weeks, but it all compacted to maybe 20" with no base. I rode last Saturday and am heading up again Thursday morning to do some more sled dialing before I head west. The snow sucks in Twin lakes, gets better in toivola. Stays the same from toivola past the bridge until you hit calumet where they got a bit more but the riding sucks north of the bridge unless you like trails. Don't expect much but it's fun to get the sleds out and get up there!

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
They got 5 feet in a matter of 2 weeks, but it all compacted to maybe 20" with no base. I rode last Saturday and am heading up again Thursday morning to do some more sled dialing before I head west. The snow sucks in Twin lakes, gets better in toivola. Stays the same from toivola past the bridge until you hit calumet where they got a bit more but the riding sucks north of the bridge unless you like trails. Don't expect much but it's fun to get the sleds out and get up there!

Suppose to be warmer the next few days so ya might want to hurry up and get here. I have a feeling with what is there it is going to be mashed potatoes for ya.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
We are headed up the 28th through New Years forecast looks like high 20s, low 30s with chances of snow few days.

Z
Nov 15, 2015
minnesota
we are headed up to rockland next wednesday. between christmas and new years, might end up cancelling if they dont get more snow this weekend. we always stay at peppermill lodging, super nice houses to rent for cheap and the owners are awesome to deal with!

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
we are headed up to rockland next wednesday. between christmas and new years, might end up cancelling if they dont get more snow this weekend. we always stay at peppermill lodging, super nice houses to rent for cheap and the owners are awesome to deal with!

We just got another 4-6" in the Sault last night so I would say you should be good as long as it doesn't rain.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I see krupps got 6" today. Some warmer temps in the forecast And chance of rain, but if cool enough, John dees has up to a foot on the 26th!

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
Thanks for all of the suggestions, tried calling most of them that could ride from cabin and all booked for our dates. Ended up with reservations at park view lodge an grill just north of krupps, only because she just had a cancellation. Prayin for snow!!!

B

Bcorn

Dec 29, 2013
South shore Lake Superior
Thanks for all of the suggestions, tried calling most of them that could ride from cabin and all booked for our dates. Ended up with reservations at park view lodge an grill just north of krupps, only because she just had a cancellation. Prayin for snow!!!

Let us know how it is.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Was a high of 41 and rain here yesterday. Not sure what the conditions are like west of here but I'm willing to bet it's going to be crap.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
Well we almost cancelled but then Tuesday they got a foot of snow so we drove up yesterday. I would say there are about 12-16 inches fresh snow on the ground. Trails are pretty good snow wise, but there are lots of people here and they get whooped out pretty quick. Lake effect snow warning through morning said up to an inch an hour. If your gonna come up you should this weekend as the forecast has 40 degrees next week some so that will turn it back to crap. It's about bumper deep playin in the trees and power lines but pretty firm under the new stuff.

Premium Features