• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ultimate Boondocker Build

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Starting with my 2018 SKS 155 800HO with PIDD (GPS). I ordered this sled new (snowcheck edition) and have not had much for issues at all. I freshened the top end last season and it is a strong runner. Over the last year I realized my type of riding and who I ride with has been changing. I am not riding out west as much. My last trip out west was spring of 2021. I am growing tied of dragging my sleds out there so if and when I go I will probably fly out and borrow one of my buddies sleds, bikes or just rent. That leaves me here in Michigan with a 155. Seems as of late a 155 is certainly overkill even for much of the U.P. unless you hit a storm just right. So my riding is done more with my family and especially my Son. We do have a cabin in Baldwin which is a mix of groomed and seasonal roads. ]

I am not willing to switch to all trail yet because I do feel I will stilll have some deep off trail boondocking days in the U.P. which is still my preferred style riding. But there will be days I ride trails with my familly. Which doing this on a 155 2.6 is hard on the track. Well hard enough I finally blew the track which is why the build starts now. I believe the SKS is the best platform for me to use because of the extra heat exchanger in front of track and extra wheels.

Here is a list of things I did to the sled since it was new:
SPI lightweight can
lightweight lithium battery install and powerup kit to power PIDD when sled isn't running
Skinz concept 36" front end kit
2 Mountain addiction storage bags
Custom graphics
Chain case gear down
Raptor Khaos kit (longer shock eyelet and limiter strap)
cut rails and anti-stab kit

Here is a list of parts or things I will be adding or doing:
Ice Age 146 Khaos Bomber Rails
15x146x2" new Challenger track
Slydog 8" wheels for rear axle
Short Tunnel Cut and weld
tunnel cut rear bumper and flap

The toughest part so far was selecting a track. After a few phone calls to Tracks USA we settled on a 2" challenger. The sled is unique when trying to find a track because of the center extrovert driver so you need center windows. We didn't feel it would be as good if removing the center driver. I really didn't want to go taller than 2" due to wanting to wick it up on the trails once in a while and durability being a concern. I really didn't want to go lower than 2" because of the big snow boondock days. I have an 08 RMK in the fleet that is a 144 and has over 9000 miles. This thing has the 144 x2" challenger and is only on its second track in its life. It has seen a lot of trail miles.

Here are some pictures from before and how it sits today. Will update as we add the parts.

randysks.jpeg sks.jpeg track.jpeg

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Well most all of the parts are in. I got the Ice Age 146 Khaos rails yesterday and built up the skid last night. Transferred all the components from the old rails over. These rails require the 8" wheels so went with the Slydog Real Cool wheels in Lime on the back to match the color scheme on the sled. I have the wheels on my 2008 RMK and they hold up well. I am loving the way this is looking and it should be a true Khaos when done. Also mounted the SKS idler wheels in the center because of riding hardpack often to get to the good spots and or when riding with the family.ice age.jpg

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Got the shortened skid with Ice Age rails and track in. I nailed the color combo to match the sled. Now to get the tunnel cut. We are thinking of cutting of 13".

sks146.jpeg

Last edited:
C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
YES LOVE this! Im kinda sad I just sold my 14 cat 141 that I built, always love a shorty build.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Just aligned the track dropped it down and loaded it up into the trailer.
74eff0669b239280190f5ec05fa70c07.jpg
084d318aea1e187f6217a2aa278d2e72.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Well rode the 146 for the first time yesterday. All I can say is wow. First time I nailed it I almost fell of the back. With the Khaos rails the thing really hooks up and wheelies.
3b197cddfae5330af2b99775cf45fa37.jpg
6a6b302bc45a7048608fd7529c44076d.jpg
fe817f0c8612445193e5406b8430d09e.jpg

P
Mar 1, 2015
How did you like the sled? Any regret or thing you would do different if you were to do it again? Might do something similar to my sks. Debating this or a khaos 146

J

jarred kale

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Starting with my 2018 SKS 155 800HO with PIDD (GPS). I ordered this sled new (snowcheck edition) and have not had much for issues at all. I freshened the top end last season and it is a strong runner. Over the last year I realized my type of riding and Tutuapp 9Apps who I ride with has been changing. I am not riding out west as much. My last trip out west was spring of 2021. I am growing tied of dragging my sleds out there so if and when I go I will probably fly out and borrow one of my buddies sleds, bikes or just rent. That leaves me here in Michigan with a 155. Seems as of late a 155 is certainly overkill even for much of the U.P. unless you hit a storm just right. So my riding is done more with my family and especially my Son. We do have a cabin in Baldwin which is a mix of groomed and seasonal roads. ]

I am not willing to switch to all trail yet because I do feel I will stilll have some deep off trail boondocking days in the U.P. which is still my preferred style riding. But there will be days I ride trails with my familly. Which doing this on a 155 2.6 is hard on the track. Well hard enough I finally blew the track which is why the build starts now. I believe the SKS is the best platform for me to use because of the extra heat exchanger in front of track and extra wheels.

Here is a list of things I did to the sled since it was new:
SPI lightweight can
lightweight lithium battery install and powerup kit to power PIDD when sled isn't running
Skinz concept 36" front end kit
2 Mountain addiction storage bags
Custom graphics
Chain case gear down
Raptor Khaos kit (longer shock eyelet and limiter strap)
cut rails and anti-stab kit

Here is a list of parts or things I will be adding or doing:
Ice Age 146 Khaos Bomber Rails
15x146x2" new Challenger track
Slydog 8" wheels for rear axle
Short Tunnel Cut and weld
tunnel cut rear bumper and flap

The toughest part so far was selecting a track. After a few phone calls to Tracks USA we settled on a 2" challenger. The sled is unique when trying to find a track because of the center extrovert driver so you need center windows. We didn't feel it would be as good if removing the center driver. I really didn't want to go taller than 2" due to wanting to wick it up on the trails once in a while and durability being a concern. I really didn't want to go lower than 2" because of the big snow boondock days. I have an 08 RMK in the fleet that is a 144 and has over 9000 miles. This thing has the 144 x2" challenger and is only on its second track in its life. It has seen a lot of trail miles.

Here are some pictures from before and how it sits today. Will update as we add the parts.
Great build ! love it

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
How did you like the sled? Any regret or thing you would do different if you were to do it again? Might do something similar to my sks. Debating this or a khaos 146

while I can’t speak to his sled my kid got a 2022 650 khaos 146” last winter and it is amazing. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a light play sled

Premium Features