• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twin pipes

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Ummm, not an apples to apples comparison if you're going to take the whole SLP kit to compare to the price of a turbo. By the time you include all the clutching, venting, and so on, $4000 is the least you're realistically going to spend on a turbo. No matter how you cut it, a turbo costs significantly more. With regard to hot vs. cold pipe power, it's pretty much a given that the twins aren't going to do much for you in on/off throttle riding – that's always been the case. So a guy who rides trees a lot is going to be disappointed, but turbos don't shine there either.

Just to recap what people are saying: 850 twin has more power on a long run, weights slight less than stock (that's probably all in the can), and I'll just add it should have no effect on longevity/durability. Downside is, in on/off throttle riding there's no benefit, and they're loud. Oh, and the tune isn't optimum, (although that means there's more on the table eventually). So, an even substitute for a turbo it isn't. And some riders won't see more HP in their typical riding. Those riders shouldn't buy it. But some riders do more long runs and will see 15+HP with less expense, complexity, and a significant weight advantage over a turbo. Doesn't have to put up the same power as a turbo or benefit in every condition to be a good product, guys. You can spend $2000 easily on a stage kit too, guess since it's not a turbo, that's not worth it either?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The twins are a bit finicky. They do like the non-eth mode and pipe heat. The pipe coating doesn’t seem to be very good. I’m going to test a blanket instead of wrap. It’ll be easier.
The bottom end and mid range is very good now. There is a slight “wait” for the pipes to heat up at WOT. Once hot it’s fast. We had to add a fuel controller to get the big bore working better. I did change one little thing on the pipe that picked up150-200 rpm and 6 mph on top end. I have to quantify my testing before I let the cat out of the bag.
Wondering if a 2* change in timing would help.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
The twins are a bit finicky. They do like the non-eth mode and pipe heat. The pipe coating doesn’t seem to be very good. I’m going to test a blanket instead of wrap. It’ll be easier.
The bottom end and mid range is very good now. There is a slight “wait” for the pipes to heat up at WOT. Once hot it’s fast. We had to add a fuel controller to get the big bore working better. I did change one little thing on the pipe that picked up150-200 rpm and 6 mph on top end. I have to quantify my testing before I let the cat out of the bag.
Wondering if a 2* change in timing would help.

We used to use header wrap back in the day. It helped on the twins. Takes a while to put on. Pipes have to be out to install properly. Twice the surface area and half the heat going into each pipe with twins. So they cool off quick being bare metal.

A little blast of snow hits them and bawg city. (peak vs broad-power)

Once twins ring out they are awesome, but trying to stay in the sweet spot tuning wise is a PIA.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Tony what RPM are you spinning them to ? Let me know what you find for a blanket.
I talked to Jim at SLP, he said to spin it at 8400-8450. “Best performance”
I also asked Jim about the advertised 8700, he said that is where they top out.
I may try to hit 8700, weights will be way light and surely won’t build the necessary heat the pipes demand.
Clutching right now is pretty good, the cold pipe at wot throws a bit of a curve I need to take care of.
I have ran it down the trail, to the pin,for over 2 miles without a melt down.

chrisco

Premium Member
Oct 22, 2008
Stony Plain Alberta
This next time out im gunna shoot for 8500 and wrap my pipes, also was Talking to Adam and they didnt like my gear down kit, want me to try the stock gearing to load it more. This is my last kick at the twins.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Baron do you have a set of twins on your sled?

No, can't say that I do. Really the biggest reason I haven't already is noise: I even had an SLP can and went back to my stock because it had a terrible mid-range drone. But I will eventually; I'm one of those dubious individuals who enjoys tinkering as much as riding!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Baron, I tend to get board with my sled and that's when the modified gets going. It keeps me out of the bar scene and consuming to much alcohol and getting home at 3 am wondering what happened.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Today was an awesome day with the twins. I didn’t use a blanket today as I reported I would.
Tree riding and open hillsides all day in Cooke. You can putt along on a hillside in the trees and pin it, it’s there.
It spools up fast. They surely like 8400-8500rpm.
The Dobeck fuel controller and the use of egt gauges got them dialed. Thank you Mr. Shover for building the controller.
I’m not going to let the little mod out of the bag quit yet.
The gear down with PRO gears is a must compared to the stock gearing..

Last edited:

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Sure fun to see this evolve. Still have my triple-triple 1029, and that thing is responsive! Wrapped pipes of course.

I believe we might see a comeback on twins, due to the advances in engine management. With efi, pipetemp sensor, knock sensor and dynamic timing these engines can make pipes work in a way the carbed engines of old could not come close to.

Exiting times.

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Id definitely avoid wrapping the contact point or your going to have shredded pipe wrap all under your hood unfortunately, that stuff does not hold up to abrasion well. But should help hold heat and up the consistency of the pipes.

Last edited:

bwmech

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2018
Today was an awesome day with the twins. I didn’t use a blanket today as I reported I would.
Tree riding and open hillsides all day in Cooke. You can putt along on a hillside in the trees and pin it, it’s there.
It spools up fast. They surely like 8400-8500rpm.
The Dobeck fuel controller and the use of egt gauges got them dialed. Thank you Mr. Shover for building the controller.
I’m not going to let the little mod out of the bag quit yet.
The gear down with PRO gears is a must compared to the stock gearing..
belt drive or chain case on your pro

Premium Features