• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twin pipes

S
Feb 6, 2008
Here is my experience with the twins, but please take into consideration i only have 120ish miles on the sled so may still be in part of the break in mode. Sled is a Kurt's Khaos 163 so Kurts gear down and clutch kit. Before twins (jaws can) sled ran amazing even being in break in. Rpms were a solid 8350-8400. After twins and nothing else 8550-8600. A comparable sled in the group is a 19 850 with 20 motor updates and mapping with same clutch kit and gearing. The twins definitely make more power but my complaint so far is i now have an intermittent stumble around 5600-6200 rpm below 6000', above that all is good. Never really looked at track speed before or after so I do apologize for not having solid numbers for you guys. As far as noise they are not quiet I believe they are quieter than a lot of cans and turbos setups out there.

B
Nov 2, 2009
I too have the intermittent stumble - but it at lower elevations than you indicated. I watched the elevations and as I went up it disappeared. At 4500-4800 it’s gone. There is a touchy rpm on the trail say 5950-6000 i do believe the evs opens and it shoots to 6350 on the spot. I’m revving at 8600-8650 with no issues other than the above to report. In a 2019 174. (The only issues I have is my own. In talking with SLP they are aware of the stumble and the EVS rpm blurp as above, and they indicated a new flash is coming.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
It could be in your clutching.
Load the motor a little more?

Either a little more helix or a little more clutch weight?

Last edited:
B
Nov 2, 2009
It could be in your clutching.
Load the motor a little more.

Either a little more helix or a little more clutch weight?
I would suggest these are not clutching issues. I tried additional weight, and the helix I do believe is a 58 42? In discussions with SLP they acknowledge that they are aware of this - and indicated to run in ethanol up the trail and to look for the updated flash in the near future. It’s for sure elevation dependant that I know for sure.
Thanks for the suggestion tho - any comments trying to help are good comments!

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
I am going to throw something out there. Just something I have been wondering about, with no data or technical info to back it up.

Those that have done the twin install know that the more challenging part of the install is the relocating of the exhaust valve servo assembly. When I did mine I had some concern with how the actuator cable needed to be bent/forced a little bit to accommodate the new servo motor location - mine was really tight. The factory routing is much easier. I wondered if this would have an effect on the "tune" of the exhaust valves. If you think about taking a bicycle brake off and putting some radius in the cable housing and cable, it will make the brake actuate.

I have been thinking about taking my twin sled in to the dealer for exhaust valve re-learning. But, admittedly I don't know a ton about this and how sensitive it might be.

Thoughts?

S
Feb 6, 2008
I felt exactly the same way about the PV cable routing, it is under a fair bit of stress. I also have the same 6000 rpm motor fluctuation which I also think is the power valves opening, it’s obnoxious as hell on the trail ride in and out. I heard some where that bikeman possibly had a better tune for these twins but I haven’t called. Maybe someone will chime in that’s in the know. I do know that Trs and kurts both are working on clutch kits so I’m waiting to find out what gains they are getting out of them.

B
Nov 2, 2009
I reached out to Torque link via messenger on the Facebook site, as Joey seems to be around there a lot. I’d give it a go, however with the response I have had (zero) I’m hesitant. Perhaps I should try a different platform (bikeman) to get a hold of them .

whatI would like to see as well is the torque/hp curve - I haven’t been able to find the stock vs outlaws dyno charts. Or am I justnot Looking hard enough?

chrisco

Premium Member
Oct 22, 2008
Stony Plain Alberta
So to recap the twin pipe deal the last weekend out the pipes ran spot on, clutching was bang on the money and the sled pulled very good. Racing up hill in 2 feet was able to pull and pass on a well clutched stocker with a lighter rider, SO THEY DO MAKE POWER. SLP is also working on a new tune that will make them better and also HM turbos is also working on a tune as well. The sound is awesome coming from the twins and is unmistakable on the mountain lol, people knew I was on the hill just from the sound.
So if your looking for a modest power gain and are dead set not getting a turbo this would be the way to go, and with a good HIGH compression head I think it would make all the difference.

Now on to bigger and better MORE POWER !!!!!!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Talk to Wayde Johnson on here (turbotater).
He's got a tune that he's really happy with on his big bore (stroker 962 with SLP Outlaw Twins).

F
Oct 16, 2008
Quebec
Does anyones try the new tune mine doesent even start with OLtwins2 map im at sealevel stock head? Am i the only one? OLtwins1 run perfect but i didnt take the time to checked the plugs!

B
Nov 2, 2009
Ran it this weekend; with head installed. The wierd surge at 6000 rpm is gone - running 44mph track speed on long pulls in deep fresh at 8400 and change - need to remove some weight. Running hm turbos clutching rather than slps.

Happy with the new programming - however still has low elevation 2500-4000 feet burbles - it cleans up if you crack the throttle

Talked to SLP today they imply it’s an inherent issue due to the load on the motor (or lack there of due to the massive clutching difference from elevation loss) however unless tried it out I cannot comment.

Doesn’t cause grief in the ride up. Just you notice it give the throttle a
Snap and it’s gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

mattwiles

Feb 24, 2009
columbia falls montana
so has anyone found a tune that helps these twins run better below 7000'? I struggled with mine until i hit about 7500' elevation. i had the ole twins 2 tune supposedly.

H
Dec 2, 2019
I reached out to Torque link via messenger on the Facebook site, as Joey seems to be around there a lot. I’d give it a go, however with the response I have had (zero) I’m hesitant. Perhaps I should try a different platform (bikeman) to get a hold of them .

whatI would like to see as well is the torque/hp curve - I haven’t been able to find the stock vs outlaws dyno charts. Or am I justnot Looking hard enough?
Bikeman has no customer service I've tried to contact them a few times with legit questions on a few of there products and nothing.

Premium Features