• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

twin pipes 800

R
Oct 15, 2011
washington
well im wanting to upgrade to twin pipes on my 2000 800 non ves, i have the pipes already, and have it jetted. i was just informed that i need to run a different head. apparently the slp head works, or simply have the machinist take some compression out of it. kif any one has any insight please let me know..im running at 4000-6500 feet.
non power valve 800
slp twins

thanks

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
You don't need to change the heads to run twin pipes. If you do change heads SLP can supply anything you want, top quality stuff from those guys. Generally heads for twin pipe setups will have slightly less compression, run good quality gas and you'll be fine.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis,MN
We had to run different heads on my brothers 2000 rmk 800 with his twin pipes but at your elevation i doubt you need to. We are at 1500 ft here and even with his slp heads he couldnt run the premium switch on or it would burn down(i know cause i burned down both pistons at the same time with the switch when i was riding it).

montanagrizzly

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2010
Polson, MT
I ran that setup and didn't have to change the heads. Do run a gallon or two of AV gas or race gas in each tank! Burned her down the first time I didn't! 500 bangers to redo the top end!

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Aviation gasoline for piston engine aircraft. Usually called 100LL, 100 octane minimum, LL stands for low lead. Great stuff, I highly recommend it. Can usually get it at your local airport.

R
Oct 15, 2011
washington
so after talking to a local shop guy who initially told me to cut the head, he said that for my altitude and budget to go ahead and have compression taken out of the head...out machinist here does the job for under a hundred bux. so in the longrun its better i think. but he talks about something called squish? he says to put a piece of solder in the plug hole and bend it so it touches the cylinder wall, then pull the motor through and squish that solder and take the measurement to the machinist with my head. does this sound familiar? im really wanting to get my ducks in a row so that i dont fry and engine.....thanks again fellas

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Yes that is the proper way to measure "squish" Compression chamber design is a real science, way over my head. Honestly I wouldn't change anything, but thats just my opinion. If you want some intelligent, honest answers call Doug Ruth, he's in your area, ask him about it. Ruthpower.com online Super nice guy to talk to, one of the best in the buisness. If you want to spend some money get him to port your cylinders, it'll turn that 800 into a little monster.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Have you talked to slp cause its their pipes they would know what to do

SLP "recommends" you buy their domes when you change from single pipe to twins.
They recommend you run lower compression on the twins, even at 6-9k feet.

I ran their pipes for quite a while... and I went with the 6-9k foot domes.
Ran a couple gallons of 110 in it and never had a lick of a problem.

Last edited:
Premium Features