• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbosmart boost T and Bov

jb800

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Currently MN
Anybody install a boost T and bov on a 18 plus silber turboed ctec? Did it make a difference in throttle response? How about fine tuning boost? If so, what brand did you use and how did your plumbing look.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Anybody install a boost T and bov on a 18 plus silber turboed ctec? Did it make a difference in throttle response? How about fine tuning boost? If so, what brand did you use and how did your plumbing look.

I have no experience on that kit,But I have seen some turbo kits on the 2 strokes come with out a BOV, so assuming the silber does not have a BOV, and I could be wrong. If your sled don't have a BOV, In theory you would benefit from one, though I'm unsure of how noticeable of a change it would be. instead of the turbo fighting air pressure when the throttle blades close, it lets it basically free spin for the moments until you open the throttle again, so the turbo momentum should be there still vs fighting its self as its basically dead heading. I've used a turbo smart boost T on many of my other sleds, Its great for fine tuning and turning up the boost. I hope I may of helped or answered a question.

jb800

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Currently MN
I have no experience on that kit,But I have seen some turbo kits on the 2 strokes come with out a BOV, so assuming the silber does not have a BOV, and I could be wrong. If your sled don't have a BOV, In theory you would benefit from one, though I'm unsure of how noticeable of a change it would be. instead of the turbo fighting air pressure when the throttle blades close, it lets it basically free spin for the moments until you open the throttle again, so the turbo momentum should be there still vs fighting its self as its basically dead heading. I've used a turbo smart boost T on many of my other sleds, Its great for fine tuning and turning up the boost. I hope I may of helped or answered a question.

Its not really a kit just starting thinking about installing these parts. The Silber kit does not come with a bov.
With the boost T going in between the compressor and internal waste gate does it act like its own relief? My understanding is that you leave your waste gate set at say 5psi and the turbo T lets you go up from there but can not go below what the waste gate is set at? If the boost T is acting like a flow control, then I would think you would have to turn your waste gate up to what your max pressure would need to be and work back from that? Not quit sure on how the boost T works.

I would think installing a bov in your charge tube line would help alot in the trees when your on and off the throttle a bunch. Should just be able to install one in the charge tube between the compressor and throttle bodies. Should take some stress off the turbo aswell?

Thanks for the response

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Its not really a kit just starting thinking about installing these parts. The Silber kit does not come with a bov.
With the boost T going in between the compressor and internal waste gate does it act like its own relief? My understanding is that you leave your waste gate set at say 5psi and the turbo T lets you go up from there but can not go below what the waste gate is set at? If the boost T is acting like a flow control, then I would think you would have to turn your waste gate up to what your max pressure would need to be and work back from that? Not quit sure on how the boost T works.

I would think installing a bov in your charge tube line would help alot in the trees when your on and off the throttle a bunch. Should just be able to install one in the charge tube between the compressor and throttle bodies. Should take some stress off the turbo aswell?

Thanks for the response

Basically the waste gate/actuator opens with pressure, so your base line is basically at maximum pressure to overcome the spring so say 5#. With the boost T, at minimum boost setting its letting full air pressure go to the actuator with out reducing pressure. Its like its not there, then as you turn it up it'll cut down the air pressure to the actuator. Which means it'll be closed longer/require more exhaust pressure before it opens which means more boost pressure.
Bov wise, yep they are needed to be easy on the turbo, realistically the turbos have a easy life on a sled for the most part, it won't see that 60k+ miles like a car, so no Bov they get away with but it will help indeed, as mentioned it let's it free spin VS trying to force the air and working hard, turbo will slow down with out a Bov in those moments, where as when you dump pressure itll keep its self wound out much better so that when you come into the throttle it's more likely to have the instant boost.

Premium Features