• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo snow bikes dead?

A
Jul 22, 2016
Did all the manufactures of turbo kits quit? I see the kits aren't for sale on KMS, aerocharger, or boondocker. From all of the forums I have read on here I have seen very mixed reviews with them. Seems like people who like to wrench and tinker were satisfied, people that wanted to bolt on and go were not. I'm guessing they quit selling them because they didn't work that well. Part of the thrill of riding for me is speed and torque, and coming from a flatland area, it's a larger part of the riding experience than boon docking. I have ridden a couple different kits, and while enjoyable, it would just be hard for me to invest into one without knowing there is way to get more reliable power out of a bike. Any thoughts?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Did all the manufactures of turbo kits quit? I see the kits aren't for sale on KMS, aerocharger, or boondocker. From all of the forums I have read on here I have seen very mixed reviews with them. Seems like people who like to wrench and tinker were satisfied, people that wanted to bolt on and go were not. I'm guessing they quit selling them because they didn't work that well. Part of the thrill of riding for me is speed and torque, and coming from a flatland area, it's a larger part of the riding experience than boon docking. I have ridden a couple different kits, and while enjoyable, it would just be hard for me to invest into one without knowing there is way to get more reliable power out of a bike. Any thoughts?
My experience was this... the fueling is based on the clitching.... when they worked they were magical but as soon as the clutch started to slip then your fueling is off and then buying a new clutch... I wish someone could make one that would be reliable... 100 hp is the magic number and really turns a great sport to magical.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

K
Sep 21, 2016
I ran turbo bikes for many years. Fun for climbing or wheelies when I had it on the cmx but the weight was the biggest issue, it would want to push straight in the turns. I never had an issue with the clutch, but I ran a lockout. I had to do engine mods to keep it alive, head studs, low comp piston, stainless valves. On a new husky with a 120 cmx now and there's no turning back!

M
Jan 14, 2004
My take is that when guys first started riding snow bikes, most came from riding sleds. In order to pull a sled line the bikes needed way more jam. As seasons went by lines changed, I rarely find myself needing to go straight up I just pick a different route on the bike. As the sport evolved and continues to evolve turbos have become kind of obsolete. Id rather sidehill my way up through the trees given the choice.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
too much hassle for the bike to just sit on the rev limiter. I rode a couple.. I spent more time focused on trying to be on the pipe without banging the rev limiter than enjoying the ride.
I had a CR500 that would spank my friends turbo ktm, both broke down constantly though. went back to a stock four stroke with estart.

Premium Features