• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo M1000 to 2020 Alpha Hardcore

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
So I haven’t owned or rode a non boosted sled since 2006.
Last sled was a total mod M1000.
Ya all think I’ll be happy with my new totally stock purchase?
4ea03b2e642cdc1784adafc136f0f5c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
So I haven’t owned or rode a non boosted sled since 2006.
Last sled was a total mod M1000.
Ya all think I’ll be happy with my new totally stock purchase?
4ea03b2e642cdc1784adafc136f0f5c1.jpg

Depends on what your wanting to do with it. Its going to handle waaaaaaaay better, but if your a chute climber you might be disappointed compared to a turbo 1000

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Depends on what your wanting to do with it. Its going to handle waaaaaaaay better, but if your a chute climber you might be disappointed compared to a turbo 1000

I’m thinking my big chute days are over now.
I’m getting old and sore,the old TM1000 was a beast but sure tired at the end of the day.
I’m going to retire in the trees now.:)

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
Then a stock Alpha or one with a few bolt - ons will be more than sufficient. Give it a few rides to get used to it, for me it was frustrating but after a few good days of riding things got easier and after we became "acquainted" we now get along very well.

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
I have a 174 turbo pro and a 19 Alpha. Rode the Alpha bone stock for one weekend. The Alpha is a fun sled stock but was disappointed with the power. Stock track speed was 42 mph, once we had it clutched we were holding 49 mph and pretty sure I will get into the low 50’s this winter. Its a totally different sled with a few mods and don’t miss the turbo anymore.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I have a 174 turbo pro and a 19 Alpha. Rode the Alpha bone stock for one weekend. The Alpha is a fun sled stock but was disappointed with the power. Stock track speed was 42 mph, once we had it clutched we were holding 49 mph and pretty sure I will get into the low 50’s this winter. Its a totally different sled with a few mods and don’t miss the turbo anymore.
What was your elevation and clutching setup?

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I too have had a boosted m1k and you will have to get past the disappointment of the lack of power for sure. Then you will have to re train the old muscle memory to not over ride the chit out of it. Yes you will look like a squirrel on black ice. Stay forward with your feet up in the foot wells, hips to the bars and only turn with your eyes and feet to start out or you will be on your side in a split second.
The track is amazing and even when you think your stuck it will climb out if you have any momentum at all.
I can't imagine the jump from an tm1 to alpha as I change sleds about every other year. Good luck and enjoy!

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Did that track speed increase just come from clutching or was there any power changes from Y-pipe, pipe, head etc?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I'm also coming from a 174 turbo pro, I got a few rides on my 19 alpha. I will miss the power and the fun but my pro was nothing but a money and time pit, I'm looking forward to just riding, that said the alpha gets around decently and I found it great to ride. Just have to be o top of it more as it will try and flop over on you when a twin rail wouldn't. Especially when loading/unloading it from a deck. Will ride mine stock then maybe another winter turbo or just stay stock.

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Well I picked my new sled up today.
Definitely having issues fitting it into my shop.
Next day off I’m going to clean up.:)
598f943e405febe75b8102579307d88b.jpg

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Well as for garage riding it sidehills forever.
Other than removing the safety warning decals and do a nut and bolt check I’m leaving it alone and just ride it as is.
Cat sure has done a very nice clean job on panels fit and finish,easy to open and they seem sturdy.
Lots more went into this then the old M series that I can see.
I am very happy that a factory tether is now standard.

I do like these running boards,sure are stiff.
f8c55a4506d52711946e5603488d63a6.jpg
971ae920cf7cdc4a406caa4eb62a0f0f.jpg

Salesman was saying something about being able to lock out rear shock when the snow is deep,anyone know more about that?

Last edited:

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
Did that track speed increase just come from clutching or was there any power changes from Y-pipe, pipe, head etc?
I am running y-pipe but the clutching is what made the biggest gains. Trying lower gearing and head change next.

L
Nov 25, 2018
Salesman was saying something about being able to lock out rear shock when the snow is deep,anyone know more about that?

Yes, the lockout feature is fantastic when climbing or racing up a hill.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Other than removing the safety warning decals and do a nut and bolt check I’m leaving it alone and just ride it as is.
Cat sure has done a very nice clean job on panels fit and finish,easy to open and they seem sturdy.

On the RTS there is a 3 position clicker they are 1, 2 and lock whereas the other 3 shocks are 1, 2, 3. The lockout has made a huge difference on other sleds I've used it on

I am running y-pipe but the clutching is what made the biggest gains. Trying lower gearing and head change next.
Thanks. I am following your build on S&M too. You are running Benny's clutching iirc. Do you know if it's based on the SSI kit?

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
On the RTS there is a 3 position clicker they are 1, 2 and lock whereas the other 3 shocks are 1, 2, 3. The lockout has made a huge difference on other sleds I've used it on

Thanks. I am following your build on S&M too. You are running Benny's clutching iirc. Do you know if it's based on the SSI kit?
We started with the BDX/SSI clutching and and had to make some changes. BDX cut us a multi angle and we used different springs. Benny is the one to talk too about the technical aspects of the clutch kits. You should give him a call , he’s very knowledgeable and can talk you through it.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010

Have the lock out on the rts on my Poo... works good for getting on the snow, but really wrecks the handling. Not really intended to be left locked... but believe me you’ll be ready to unlock it as soon as you get past whatever you locked it for.

B
Jul 28, 2008
I have both. An Alpha and an m1000 . Alpha handles better, especially in trees. I like the power of the stock Alpha and put 600 miles on it last Winter without mods. THrowing a turbo on it right now, not because it needs more power, just because turbos are funner. :)

Dstickan

TimelessTurbo
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2018
Wisconsin
Does anyone have an intake plenum for the M1000? I had a garage fire this summer and looking to put the ol' girl back together and need to replace some pieces that I lost. Or if anyone knows where to find pieces to the past kits that would be great too.
Thanks!

Premium Features