• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tunnel stiffeners...

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
Mike does fantastic work, these are the ones he made for my Dragon. I cheaped out and just used stainless rivet's then pounded the ends flat.

misc008.jpg

misc001.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Mike does fantastic work, these are the ones he made for my Dragon. I cheaped out and just used stainless rivet's then pounded the ends flat.

misc008.jpg

misc001.jpg
thanks chuck....is it ready to ride yet? looks good for sure...

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
Been out 3 times now and it's running well. Needs some clutch work again. With this 2010 motor I'm now turning 8650 rpm's with the same setup as the 09 motor. It doesnt look anything like that anymore either I need to take some new pics of it sometime.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
you better get them R's down or the 09 motor is gonna be in it again..yep fresh pics would be good....hows wild one doing?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
looks good but how much weight are we talking about?
these weighed 12 pds before powder coat for all the peices on my bathroom scales, now the base peice could be cut out as well but I wanted it solid for powdercoat to help stop snow buildup vrs cutting it up and a wrap behind it(cant glue with a wrap)also these are pretty thick vrs what just a sledder would want (I will sometimes pull 2 loaded sleds to the cabin, 1 with 50 gallons plus of just fuel and the other with clothes,coolers, propane cylinder..and anything else needed...)now for just a fancy reinforcment for looks and toughen a stock tunnel for a 5 er of fuel and a tunnel bag..well .40 base and an 1/8 overlay...about 1/2 the weight of what I did....

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
You might consider running the tunnel brace up past the toe kick area. Was working on my buddys sled last night and found his tunnel is bent there. He didnt even know it. Only 185 miles on the sled and he is not a jumper or a very agressive rider.
It is starting to worry me a bit. Not sure what I sould do with my 012 to prevent it from happening.
Looks like a hard place to reinforce though.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
How bout you start making these to sell???
Dang it Eric...ok..will do it..soon as 10 guys on here confirm they want them. I will build some..I will design up something cool as far as a light weight set...you boys tell me what you want...your names in them , flames, geo design, triangle, circles..some kind of aztec setup that would match with a wrap?price wise...well I can do just a single thin setup it wont have much of anything for cutouts other then a hole around the vin..just a basic light reinforcement..leave the stock/aftermarket bumper and you just lay it on and rivit it up..all the way to some thing wild where you can replace the whole tunnel sides and boards with something like above with an aluminum tube air frame type board........for those that are interested..I think I could redo a pro tunnel to where a 3" track would bolt on with all stock parts but the tunnel..if interested let me know and I will explore into it more seriously..frow what I have looked at so far..I think I can....so guys its up to you..I know times are tough(they are for me as well)...but how many are really that interested..and serious enough to buy?let me know ..thanks..mike

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
ok..some more pics of my old dragon so you can see some details..the boards are raised 1.5" at the rear of the boards, which is why the tunnel is so thin in the back..the dragons had really heavy steel rear suspension mnts..those are eliminated, the gas rack on this one is pretty tall.(have gone smaller since because I got bucked off one time and caught my back on the rack..it hurt..so now they are lower and rounder for safety..)I made foot plates for the running board braces where they turn up to the tunnel..so when on steep stuff you can stand there if needed,these complete sides/boards/bumper actually lost quite a bit of weight over stock(I removed all the stock boards, steel rear suspension mnts..and I ran the polaris steel hitch bumper setup..)

Picture265.jpg

Picture310.jpg

Picture255.jpg

this pic shows my pattern..and what I was wanting to acheive...

Picture126-1.jpg

this is my best friends 10 xp.. there is a few of these running around...

Picture207.jpg

hard to see but if you look close..the xp braces are the copper color of the hood....
DSC00339.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I'm on the phone with a buddy right now and we want 2 for sure and more to follow. What is the price?
Idaho..I dont have a firm price right now..but like anything..the bigger the number of these I do at 1 time..the cheaper the waterjet charges and the material cost go down..first I need to figure out a concensus of what will work for peeps..strong enough yet light enough ..the pro ones above I did for 2 friends as well when I did mine..cost on those this time last season ran about 300 for the cut material..no pow coat, rivits, and that was zero cents for my time and effort...figure depending on how thick of material, fancy of design(waterjet time is spendy..the guy that cuts these for me his waterjet runs pretty much 24/7/365..its that busy,,)and how fancy on powdercoat..you could go anywhere from 400 to 800 + ready to ship...I need you guys to tell me how fancy you want....then I can get a better idea on cost....

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
You might consider running the tunnel brace up past the toe kick area. Was working on my buddys sled last night and found his tunnel is bent there. He didnt even know it. Only 185 miles on the sled and he is not a jumper or a very agressive rider.
It is starting to worry me a bit. Not sure what I sould do with my 012 to prevent it from happening.
Looks like a hard place to reinforce though.
can you get me some pics of this? I think there is a way to fix this..but I need to see some pics..thanks

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
I think this goes here:

Well, I can make something for sure, the way the pro tunnel hooks into the bulkhead right there I would have to make /replace the complete tunnel sides or do like I did mine, then add a second overlay up frt to bridge ove the bulkhead peice..not a big deal other then the sled would pretty much have to be stripped bare from what I have seen looking at mine..price wise..what I did on mine ran about 5-600 in materials and powdercoating ...I put about 25 hrs into it for labor...I would guess you could double the labor time to overlay the bulkhead with the amount of stuff needed to be removed for access...

MAXED OUT.......

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
I BENT 2 TUNNELS SAME PLACE LAST YR... WE DONT NEED ANYTING TO FANCY AND WOULD LOVE SOMETHING AS LIGHT WEIGHT AS POSSIBLE

vertical800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Columbus, ND
I'm definitly interested in Mike's option of being able to run a 3" track with the replacement tunnel sides and the airframe style boards incorporated in them. Let him know if your interested in these guys so we can get the ball a rolling on these. I'm in for a set.

Premium Features