• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tunnel Cutting

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
Should. I will be picking it up from weld Friday or early next week. I will let ya know.

That would be awesome, happy to pay for the shipping and a case of beer if it helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
Oct 18, 2020
i went with the MTNTEK kit first and ran hotter than hell.
the cut process is a pain, but must be precise. will make welding easier and it has to seal up. in the process of welding this week. i took a long skinny screwdriver with a small piece of paper towel around it soaked in brake cleaner to clean out the dust and pieces. just keep sweeping it with cloth till its clean. there are several videos on Youtube but they dont go into great detail. i cut around 7+" off and really like it. like how it dug in and kept going in the deep stuff. worth it, yes for those deep mountain days. if you want i may be able to send a couple pics that would help.
Would you be willing to send me some pictures? I've looked all over online and haven't found a very good tutorial video, they skip over all of the parts i have questions on.

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
Would you be willing to send me some pictures? I've looked all over online and haven't found a very good tutorial video, they skip over all of the parts i have questions on.
i will try to get something this week, i took a dozen or so photos to show a friend who is also doing it.E91527D8-284F-4EBA-8E2A-1E3BDFA923AC.jpeg97D9F3FE-FB66-4E3D-AA70-337AA67A5A59.jpeg

6F9E23A5-1E6A-4B54-9C50-34F8A702F28E.jpeg F8A232E2-7A3E-49C7-8172-E9657CFAF80E.jpeg A87297B1-161D-49AA-9144-F2B66DD872FD.jpeg

Last edited:

Superduty348

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
BC
Hey Polaris listen up, just look at all the guys cutting their tunnels maybe they are on to something here. Hell even Skidoo did it. Let’s get this change made to the 2022 models. Not trying to hijack here but it is a kick ass mod that works. Keep up the mods guys.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
So here's a preview of the weld in tunnel shortening 'kit' we are working on. We are currently 3D printing a prototype to test fit and check for any potential revisions. Once that is complete we will be machining these from solid aluminum and supplying a section of aluminum pipe that acts as a crossover tube between the two billet adapter pieces. The billet adapter pieces will slip into the extrusion with a slight interference fit.

This eliminates the difficult trimming / fit-up and weld when trying to reuse the existing crossover extrusion. Just cut your tunnel to the desired length, slip the billet blocks into the tunnel, tack the crossover pipe. Remove from sled and full weld the cross over tube, then slip back into the cut ends of the extrusion and weld into place to create a seal.

This is a similar concept to the MTNTK kit but improved in the sense that it creates significantly more strength, retains some heat exchanging through the cross over pipe, and is a fully welded setup that doesn't rely on adhesives. Billet blocks will come with weld bevel/prep machined at all weld areas.

I will be posting more information and pricing once we have an idea of machine time for the kit.

IF you are interested in the kit please shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

IMG_8859.jpgimage-2020-11-20-112350-147.JPGIMG_8863.JPG

Last edited:
S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
So here's a preview of the weld in tunnel shortening 'kit' we are working on. We are currently 3D printing a prototype to test fit and check for any potential revisions. Once that is complete we will be machining these from solid aluminum and supplying a section of aluminum pipe that acts as a crossover tube between the two billet adapter pieces. The billet adapter pieces will slip into the extrusion with a slight interference fit.

This eliminates the difficult trimming / fit-up and weld when trying to reuse the existing crossover extrusion. Just cut your tunnel to the desired length, slip the billet blocks into the tunnel, tack the crossover pipe. Remove from sled and full weld the cross over tube, then slip back into the cut ends of the extrusion and weld into place to create a seal.

This is a similar concept to the MTNTK kit but improved in the sense that it creates significantly more strength, retains some heat exchanging through the cross over pipe, and is a fully welded setup that doesn't rely on adhesives. Billet blocks will come with weld bevel/prep machined at all weld areas.

I will be posting more information and pricing once we have an idea of machine time for the kit.

Thanks!

View attachment 361552View attachment 361553View attachment 361554

Wow .. beauty !!!! i did not want to shorten my tunnel till I just saw this work of art .. cant wait to see a finished product.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership

Thanks!

View attachment 361552View attachment 361553View attachment 361554

Nice rendering. ?

My concern with this design is it is built around a restrictive crossover—similar to 11-15 ProRide Pros. The Axys cooling capability was increased significantly with the large volume crossover. If crossover extrusion cost is the concern, double crossover running parallel to each other?

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
Nice rendering.

My concern with this design is it is built around a restrictive crossover—similar to 11-15 ProRide Pros. The Axys cooling capability was increased significantly with the large volume crossover. If crossover extrusion cost is the concern, double crossover running parallel to each other?

You are correct that the port size shown in this rendering is restricted in size vs. The OEM extrusion. There was a miscalculation when sizing the tubing and wall thickness, it’s only slightly less but we will be revising to have a volume that is equal to that of the hose connections on the engine side of the cooling loop.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
when I look at the drawings is seems it will extend lower than the current cooler and create a ledge hindering snown exit no?

Hindering snow exit from the tunnel?

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
I was hoping that it was going to be more like the stock crossover piece with more cooler. Like a w cooler. Not huge but kinda like an iqr trail cooler.
Either way nice work.

Torpedo

Premium Member
Feb 22, 2008
Eden, Ut
Have I missed something here. Why not just cut a section out along the straight length of cooler.
No fancy angles , should make the whole process easier for non career welders.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
Have I missed something here. Why not just cut a section out along the straight length of cooler.

Good idea, except it would make for a messy weld that is visible from all angles on the tunnel. If you have a painted tunnel you need to grind the paint off before welding which is pretty unsightly on a brand new sled.

Cutting at the rear allows for the tail light and snow flap shroud to cover up the area that’s been welded so it’s not really visible unless you look under the tunnel and see the new welds.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Good idea, except it would make for a messy weld that is visible from all angles on the tunnel. If you have a painted tunnel you need to grind the paint off before welding which is pretty unsightly on a brand new sled.

Cutting at the rear allows for the tail light and snow flap shroud to cover up the area that’s been welded so it’s not really visible unless you look under the tunnel and see the new welds.

Just slap a red bull sticker on it
If the welding is fair to good then what odds if you san see it - welds and glue visible lots other places n the sled ...

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Basically the oem cut method is the only way to hide the weld fully.

any other way is visible.

Premium Features