• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRS Clutching [ PART TWO ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Nobody that I know of has had a problem with a 46-32F ER / 46-34F ER even with the large Polaris reverse notch. Not saying it can't happen, but we haven't seen it even after 1000's of miles.

Sledhead, clutching makes a big difference in how these sleds run eh?

Day and night eh. I love the long legs and delivery is so smooth. Im going to say this again to the Turbo chain case crowd.. Change your gearing !!!!

Last edited:

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
I would love to try this setup with the lightning weights. Only concern i have is that the weight wont be heavy enough when running a mtntk axys at 1000-3000 with 8-10psi.

How would it be to switch out the primary to a 155-280 spring. That would let me go down abit on the weights. But would the clamping force on the belt be sacrificed?

My current setup is:
Team Rooster Turbo Weights. 76.5grams. 0 in the heel, 5 gram mid, 6.5 gram top. (65gram base)
155-280 Primary spring (titanium)
160-240 Secondary Spring
Helix: 50-44-F

At the moment only running 5psi to break in the sled abit. Its turning 82-8300rpm at sealvl.
But the goal is to step it up to atleast 8psi and sometimes 10psi when riding in the mountains (1500-3000feet)

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Well I'd love to pipe in on my experience with this Clutching as Saturday I went out ready to rock but my rails quickly collapsed as I was going down the trail ha. BUT we've got some bombers on the way!! AKfullthrottle and I will be out running this setup and a couple other ones this weekend. Eager to get some sealevel feedback out there.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I would love to try this setup with the lightning weights. Only concern i have is that the weight wont be heavy enough when running a mtntk axys at 1000-3000 with 8-10psi.

How would it be to switch out the primary to a 155-280 spring. That would let me go down abit on the weights. But would the clamping force on the belt be sacrificed?

My current setup is:
Team Rooster Turbo Weights. 76.5grams. 0 in the heel, 5 gram mid, 6.5 gram top. (65gram base)
160-240 Secondary Spring

At the moment only running 5psi to break in the sled abit. Its turning 82-8300rpm at sealvl.
But the goal is to step it up to atleast 8psi and sometimes 10psi when riding in the mountains (1500-3000feet)

I think you are right. The next best thing is Indy Dans clutching. Very similar concept except weights are different and you can load them up with more weight. They have 3 different turbo profiles now. You should give them a call.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY

My current setup is:
160-240 Secondary Spring

Would it interest you to run less boost if a clutch setup ran efficient and transferred more power to the ground? I know there is nothing like more boost.
Tory's testing of lighter springs may get you to a much lighter weight.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I am getting a lot of questions from the Silber crowd. It leads to I am running "88 gram weights at here, what should I get for weights?"

Make sure you guys are posting where you end up so we have a reference. Maybe there is some on here and my short term memory loss kicks in.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Sled is pulling 8250 RPM and big track speed.

Turn the boost up till you hit 8400 RPM. Then let us know what you think! From my experience, that last couple hundred RPM takes quite a bit more boost to pull.

I am getting a lot of questions from the Silber crowd. It leads to I am running "88 gram weights at here, what should I get for weights?"

Make sure you guys are posting where you end up so we have a reference. Maybe there is some on here and my short term memory loss kicks in.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Sage Crusher: 7# spring, 140-330 primary, 140-220 secondary, 74 grams, 9000' and up. (still not dialed in but should be soon)

562XP: 5# spring, 150-310 primary, 140-220 secondary, 72.5 grams, 6000'-7000'. (too much load on the bottom end)

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
Would it interest you to run less boost if a clutch setup ran efficient and transferred more power to the ground? I know there is nothing like more boost.
Tory's testing of lighter springs may get you to a much lighter weight.

Ofcourse putting power to the ground always has priority over high boost.

How far of is the lightning weight compared to team turbo weights in profile? Kinda like the adjustability of the team weights to be honest.

Im also running a tki beltdrive with 2.17 ratio. Going to 2.3 and i got a 7T 3.0 Pitch driver running a Conq 280 track.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Ofcourse putting power to the ground always has priority over high boost.

How far of is the lightning weight compared to team turbo weights in profile? Kinda like the adjustability of the team weights to be honest.

Im also running a tki beltdrive with 2.17 ratio. Going to 2.3 and i got a 7T 3.0 Pitch driver running a Conq 280 track.
PM'd you

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
I think you are right. The next best thing is Indy Dans clutching. Very similar concept except weights are different and you can load them up with more weight. They have 3 different turbo profiles now. You should give them a call.

Tory, it would be interesting if you tried Dan's complete kit and see how it compares to Tony's and what you have tried. Only because the concept is similar and the weights are more available and adjustable.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Tory, it would be interesting if you tried Dan's complete kit and see how it compares to Tony's and what you have tried. Only because the concept is similar and the weights are more available and adjustable.

Im in the same position, i would love to do the TRS clutching, but cant get the lightning weights heavy enough. I have Heelclicker 2-speed now at 77gram, 165-310 primary, 50-44 helix with a 160-240 spring, at 7.5-8psi and pulling 8400rpms.

Im not going down from 7-8psi, i want to atleast go to 9-10psi.

So i would love to know if Dan's clutching could be an alternative to TRS.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
We did run Dan's kit. Like I said, the secondary setup is very similar. The weights we got were adjustable from 71-82 grams. We had them at 75. I think they were his first turbo mag design. They are tucked even more than the lightning weights allowing you to run a lighter primary start force and still have high engagement.

Clutch heat was much better than stock. We did have more primary slippage than the Lightnings. But we never made an attempt dial it in.

If you guys get Dan's kit, let us know what helix he sends you. We may want to send you a set of heavy Lightnings for an experiment.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
MH NOTE: CONTINUED IN TRS CLUTCHING [PART THREE]
https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4054426

We did run Dan's kit. Like I said, the secondary setup is very similar. The weights we got were adjustable from 71-82 grams. We had them at 75. I think they were his first turbo mag design. They are tucked even more than the lightning weights allowing you to run a lighter primary start force and still have high engagement.

Clutch heat was much better than stock. We did have more primary slippage than the Lightnings. But we never made an attempt dial it in.

If you guys get Dan's kit, let us know what helix he sends you. We may want to send you a set of heavy Lightnings for an experiment.

We've got Dan's kit with a few different Turbo weights he sent. AKfullthrottle has it in his sled now just waiting for the weekend. I'm trying your setup but with venom weights instead. Give a little more diverse feedback. I know Kyle has to shim his clutch if he hasn't already and I'm not sure which set of turbo weights he is starting out with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features