• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRS Alignment Bar video

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
My 2018 800 RMK 163 was out .152 and set that to zero at the leading edge of the secondary with .034 lead in and .038 float, so, I think I am set for another ride! I looked at the motor mounts with 500+ miles on the sled and they are starting to show some wear but not a lot yet. It would be nice if Polaris or someone on the outside would build a new replacement mount of a little higher durometer rubber compound. I have been looking for the PRO and AXYS - Chassis motor mounts for years and seems that there might be an optimal shape change for the rubber cast on the motor mount that would be more less prone to wearing the way they do! Just the Engineer in Me trying to think outside the BOX!
gtwitch in wyoming

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
A pic of a buddy sled. I mentioned it isn't shifting out and yur secondary could be out of alignment.
Response was a mountain sled never shifts out and it's fine. It has such an such cycle Clutching.
N/A 2019-850-163-2.6
That looks bad . poor clutching set-up and gearing

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
so I aligned my clutches last night using the TRS bar my buddy owns. This is the first time I have done this. I followed the video.
my secondary was .145" out (or in). I added that in shims behind the secondary. brought it right out to the bar.
adding that .145" to the bolt float washers puts the stack at .339" total. does that sound right?
in order to achieve that measurement, I had to mix and match the float washers since i could just not add the correct amount to what the factory had in there. i think i removed one of the thinner factory ones, and added one of the thicker ones i bought.
everything seems correct.
does it sound correct?

K-DOG2

Whiskey Dreamer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 6, 2007
MN
so I aligned my clutches last night using the TRS bar my buddy owns. This is the first time I have done this. I followed the video.
my secondary was .145" out (or in). I added that in shims behind the secondary. brought it right out to the bar.
adding that .145" to the bolt float washers puts the stack at .339" total. does that sound right?
in order to achieve that measurement, I had to mix and match the float washers since i could just not add the correct amount to what the factory had in there. i think i removed one of the thinner factory ones, and added one of the thicker ones i bought.
everything seems correct.
does it sound correct?
Yep, You don't need to match the exact amount, but you want to make sure you have .020-.030 float after installing the washers. If you didn't check how much float you had before you shimmed, you might be adding more or less than what you added to shim the secondary.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Yep, You don't need to match the exact amount, but you want to make sure you have .020-.030 float after installing the washers. If you didn't check how much float you had before you shimmed, you might be adding more or less than what you added to shim the secondary.

i did not check float prior. If I am checking it correctly (using a feeler guage), it seems like I have more than .030 float after. ?‍♂️

K-DOG2

Whiskey Dreamer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 6, 2007
MN
i did not check float prior. If I am checking it correctly (using a feeler guage), it seems like I have more than .030 float after. ?‍♂️
Mine was similar. Just remove/add your float washers to achieve .020-.030

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
Doing some belt clearance and driven float settings today. Belt clearance ended up at .022. Installed TRS bar and found .018 clearance with bar. Coincidence or Magic bar? Multi purpose tool, use it to set clearance also!

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Just did mine, was out 141 thou. Had to hit the dealership for some spacers for the lock bolt/spacer to set float, was under 20 thou.
Hopefully she runs like a champ! Installed the full TRS clutch kit as well, see how she runs this weekend, I hope.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
To the top for a new season. Tony, have you seen sleds that need almost .5" jackshaft shims with your alignment bar to be correct? Helped a buddy do his 19' 850 tonight and he's got .300 shims on the jackshaft now, and needs another .140 to take up the gap with your bar. Mostly I've seen .200-.300 shims to be correct. over .400" seems like a lot.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
It’s possible. Has the secondary been machined to lighten it? The bar will give you a false reading if machined.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
No, it’s not machined. I pulled the secondary off my 20’ and put it on this 19’ and it still off just as much .

Premium Features