• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

triple PRO RMK

Timmy!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2018
Been doing a lot of research lately and havent been doing much building on the sled other than installing some tunnel reinforcement plates from fastrax, and a new 64 series digitron gauge.

I pulled my old 1200 out of the prox and found an awesome home for the chassis as it will have a 1350 UBR WC triple and become a tar/asphalt sled and will be restored back to new and perfect condition.

Ive been doing some back and forth with crankshop, im sending them a motor plate to mock up pipes in a pro rmk we sourced at their shop so they can fit pipes.

I am seeing how much interest this could generate to build more plates and if crankshop can build fitted pipes for this application on a more regular basis for more people.

I will be shipping them a plate after thanksgiving and they told me 2 weeks out on building the pipes. I was going to fit them myself but Im trying to figure out if theres any interest for more people into building a big triple pro. If this winter the 1200 works out then ill do another with my 1500 cat in one come next season. I also have a buddy who we will be putting his cat 1000 twin big bore into one as well.

I just bought a 1200 W/C motor. Was planning an IQR but I'm very interested in doing a Pro instead.

Dec 30, 2011
I also just bought a running w/c 1050 in an 02 edge chassis. Also got a bare w/c case with all the stock polaris 700 parts to build another motor ( 2 700 cranks, 3 220 casted 700 cylinders, and ultra ignition parts) i would absolutely love to put one in a pro! Also have 2 unionbay big bore ultra motors, 2 mod storm motors and one 800xcr motor that need new homes. Would be sweet if crankshop and PAR start manufacturing the parts to but them in new iron.
9e2c60278eb3c782b6c52aef8c58797b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I like your style Matty!
I have to bookmark your 1500 build as I'm putting back together the Newfie's 1620, but in 1462 form. I don't want to deal with custom pistons anymore! lol

Can't wait to follow along with this one!

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
finally got the pipes back from crankshop, a 4 week timeline turned into 6 weeks. the pipes will need to be reworked as they dont quite fit like they were supposed to. Motor is mounted but theres quite a bit left to address before this sled sees the snow. The PTO cylinder outlet runs right into the steering post, I have a few ideas on how to do this.

This is the first VES watercraft triple in a pro that I know of so the VES cap hits the upper mount on the lower steering post. The three other triple pros I know of dont have exhaust valves.

Coolant bottle hits the carb air filters, need to move it.

Just a few things, but mainly waiting on parts for the steering then ill rework the pipes to get them to fit better.

Heres the pipes just sitting in the chassis with no motor.

thumbnail_IMG_20200117_125702686.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200119_102449123.jpg

Last edited:

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
a few random pictures.

Steering post where it lines up with pto cylinder

led light I mounted to the bars

avenger 3

Bulkhead before the motor plate with the extra two motor mounts for a total of 6 vs the factory 4.

I like not having anything on the hoods of my sleds since I usually take em off fairly often but when the snow is right I usually dont ride with a hood anyway.

thumbnail_IMG_20200119_154854714.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200117_180800205.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200117_180820564.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200117_180844321.jpg

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Im not one to go bashing a company, especially one such as crank shop who still has a huge passion for custom parts in out industry!

But I dont even know how they can build a set of custom fitted pipes to a chassis that doesnt have ANY steering or the complete overstructure bolted in place!

I didnt expect these pipes to fall right into place, but they were over 2" off and couldnt even be hung onto the manifolds! It took them 3 weeks longer than they promised, I was on the fence fitting them myself but they said no problem and I thought for a company that does this on a daily basis im sure they will turn out better than what I could do.... Nope! I should have just bought the stampings and fit them myself, I would have been 5 weeks ahead of schedule.

They had the bends all going toward the center in the nose which is where room is most valuable to stuff the three pipes side by side, I also told them dont worry about height just make sure they fit in the stock side panels... They didnt!

After a few hours I have em closer to where they need to be.

Heres a few of how they fit with half the sled missing and no steering. I just cant believe that they thought it would be ok to fit them without these parts! Boggles my mind, and then when I called em and explained to them I got ZERO explanation, Help, assistance or money off.

crank shop fit nose.jpg crank shop fit.jpg crank shop manifold.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200119_154854714.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200119_161930531.jpg

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I ended up buying an axys lower steering post, it has a bend in it but its straight forward. I had to cut the bellcranks off the end and rotate them 90 deg. towards the right side for extra pipe clearance. Other than a little trimming its almost a direct fit to a pro. I also had to push it over a bit with an aluminum block to clear the VES cap. The actual bend is a little higher than ideal but it still made for enough clearance for what I needed to work. Next time id build the same thing just bend the post myself from chromo tube.
I ran billet UBR manifolds on this motor, they pushed the carbs back a little to far and the bowls hit the top of the bulkhead/tunnel. New manifolds sucked em in just enough to clear.
moved the factory coolant bottle higher, the hose by the rotor gets close but theres enough clearance.

Theres been 4 other pro triples built that I know of. All but one had CPI pipes on em that all exit the right side. What I dont like is they remove the right upper overstructure tube for clearance, to make it easier, and lower pipes in the chassis. Also none of them address the steering post issue. They all have a really sharp angle right at the manifold. Not a smooth bend but a very sharp angle. Being that close I personally would never do it because of the flame right from the combustion chamber hitting this sharp angle. Ask any pipe builder about having such an angle that close to the piston. Not good.

This is the only VES watercraft pro rmk that I know of.

The best way to describe this build is:

6 gallons of sh!t in a 5 gallon bucket! Its tight but Im almost done and looking forward to see how it works.

axys post.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200128_181013202.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200128_181112915.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200128_181145556.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200128_181341664.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200128_182124738.jpg

Last edited:

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
looks awesome, I miss my triple. there is just something about the sound of three pipes screeming. I wish I had the time, money and skills such as your self and I would put my old PSI 800 triple into my pro chassis. Any way looks awesome and I hope it all works for you.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
finished the pipes, just a few small details to take care of.

The pipes would have been different if crank shop didnt already try and fit them. I had to deal with pipes going in a direction I wouldnt have ran them. If starting with raw blanks it would have been easier for sure.

Also found some small pop locks that worked great for keeping the side panels in place in the front since i havent started on a hood yet. push the button and they pop off, then just push em back on and snap... locked in place.

Silencers ended up being 2.5'' by 4" long, fairly loud but the size helped with getting them fitted since room is a precious commodity inside this thing.

thumbnail_IMG_20200205_172001601.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200205_172120116.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200205_173320862.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200206_165613664.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200206_165621834.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200206_171325444.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200206_172509998.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200206_172533232.jpg

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
first rip through the orchard. Just with my phone so it was a little hard to video with one hand and drive with the other.

Needs a few little things then itll hit the snow soon.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Nice work on this. I have been thinking of a similar project with some variations.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Should hopefully have a run of plates next week if anyone is interested in em to do a triple or big twin conversion in a pro rmk.

Im doing a big cat twin in one now and I made a design change to the original plate to accommodate the big cat twin (king cat zr upright engine), it wont affect anything else other than it will make it to where that specific case will now also bolt to it.

This plate will NOT work with any OEM CFI based engine cases (other than the billet PAR CFI based twins/triples) Basically anything with a flat bottom case.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Should hopefully have a run of plates next week if anyone is interested in em to do a triple or big twin conversion in a pro rmk.

Im doing a big cat twin in one now and I made a design change to the original plate to accommodate the big cat twin (king cat zr upright engine), it wont affect anything else other than it will make it to where that specific case will now also bolt to it.

This plate will NOT work with any OEM CFI based engine cases (other than the billet PAR CFI based twins/triples) Basically anything with a flat bottom case.

I have been thinking about an AXYS build this summer. Your mount is probably way different for the Pro though..?

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.

put about 150 miles on it is all.

Getting it closer, its not dialed in 100%

It needed WAY more gear, finally got the rpm's where they needed to be, suspension still needs a bit of work, and definitely a track.

This summer im probably going to do full zbros shocks or a KMOD skid with raptors up front, camo extreme 156 3" cutdown paddle, finish the hood for it.

fun project, way fun sled to ride!

had some hang ups on getting more motor plates machined but got the first one done in my hand yesterday, just have to do a test fit in the chassis then machine the rest out. Doing 5 more total 3 of em are already spoken for.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA

put about 150 miles on it is all.

Getting it closer, its not dialed in 100%

It needed WAY more gear, finally got the rpm's where they needed to be, suspension still needs a bit of work, and definitely a track.

This summer im probably going to do full zbros shocks or a KMOD skid with raptors up front, camo extreme 156 3" cutdown paddle, finish the hood for it.

fun project, way fun sled to ride!

had some hang ups on getting more motor plates machined but got the first one done in my hand yesterday, just have to do a test fit in the chassis then machine the rest out. Doing 5 more total 3 of em are already spoken for.

SOUNDS GOOOOOD! What ever happened to that cat triple project?????

Premium Features