• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Traverse Ski on Moto Trax Spindle?

P
May 26, 2020
Anybody ever done this? I was told by a shop over the phone that this would work, so I ordered a traverse ski. When it arrived today I realized that the two brands have a completely different attachment system.

It looks like I might be able to rig something, but it would take extending the skeg bolts to reach the MT mount bracket and lots of grinding the ski to make room for it to fit.

Maybe Moto Trax makes a fit kit?

E
Dec 19, 2007
I ran one on mine no problem it just bolts on, the trouble is getting a good tight rubber on the back side as the shape of the ts rubber doesn't match the mtx bottom block. I'm confused are you trying to mount the aluminum mtx ski saddle on the aro ski?

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
I ran one on mine no problem it just bolts on, the trouble is getting a good tight rubber on the back side as the shape of the ts rubber doesn't match the mtx bottom block. I'm confused are you trying to mount the aluminum mtx ski saddle on the aro ski?

Will the Mototrax rubber not fit on the TS ski?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
You want polaris rubber, bolt, spacers and a pile of 3/8” washers.

Bolt that mototrax spindle right on.

Like Eric mentioned.

P
May 26, 2020
The MT Rubber is longer and wider than the TS rubber. So I can not use the MT rubber.

If I use the TS rubber, the ski isn't supported in the rear by the rubber and could potentially cause the tip to dive - I'm thinking in a scenario where the ski is off the snow like a wheelie or jump.

Eric, were you not concerned about the rubber not fitting the MT spindle shape?

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
The TS rubber and mount is much wider than the MT. But it’s also a different saddle angles. So yes you can, but it will take some fussing and the MT spindle sucks anyway so it’s a wasted effort imo. For 250$ the Ts aro spindle is a perfect for the traverse ski and it works way better than the MT spindle. And yes I’ve tried both and also did achieve mounting other skis to Mt spindle (yeti, not traverse)

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
The TS rubber and mount is much wider than the MT. But it’s also a different saddle angles. So yes you can, but it will take some fussing and the MT spindle sucks anyway so it’s a wasted effort imo. For 250$ the Ts aro spindle is a perfect for the traverse ski and it works way better than the MT spindle. And yes I’ve tried both and also did achieve mounting other skis to Mt spindle (yeti, not traverse)
Agreed. I know Eric likes the Mototrax spindle but he is modifying it.

P
May 26, 2020

Here are a couple pics of the TS Travers ski mount and the MT ski mount. You can see that the MT rubber is wider than the TS. It's longer as well but I don't have pic of that.

Eric, I'm curious what mods you have done? I want to use the MT spindle, because: 1) I already have it. 2) I have their wheel kit for it and it works great.

Any pics? Thanks guys

E
Dec 19, 2007
When I was using the complete mtx spindle I was grinding custom sled based rubbers for a tighter fit on the back. The one I used were really stiff too. Then the mtx bushings kept wearing out so I bolted on the old style timbersled bottom block with the grease zerk and was able to use a ts rubber. Then way before the "s"models came out I started lowering my bikes and built shorter side plates for the mtx spindle with ts bottom block. This is great because my side plates are really short and don't flex much or bend the forks when I crash. I can also easily change the castor and ski angle to put more or less pressure on front or back bumpers. So basically the only mtx parts I'm using now are the top that attaches to the forks.

P
May 26, 2020
Full custom Eric! Any pics?

I like MTX's fork attachment design - so simple and maybe less chance to damage the fork tubes.

If I were to grind my own sled based rubbers, what part would I ask for in the snomo shop?

The MTX aluminum mount bracket fits perfectly into the traverse ski... it's the molded plastic that gets in the way on the base...

E
Dec 19, 2007
This is the shortest spindle to date on my raptor. This one has holes on the side plates for 2 different set backs. The ski is my low-snow smasher special. It's just 2 of the original sled simmons bolted together. Nothing special but floats over rocks and logs and doesn't catch on anything. It rides a lot like a camso ski. I've needed it a bunch this year... Normaly I run the aro ski on the raptor because it's so dang heavy it needs aggressive keel to turn. But today we are riding in a low altitude spot (8k)with less than 2 feet and no base so I put the smasher ski back on.

IMG_20210130_074405.jpg

P
May 26, 2020
FYI to all Moto Trax spindle owners looking to run an ARO ski - my buddy has a foundry and a CNC machine. He's making me a new saddle to replace the one on the MT spindle which will fit the profile of the ARO damper. If anyone is interested, this will be a bolt on part to convert the Moto Trax spindle to accommodate the ARO ski.

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
FYI to all Moto Trax spindle owners looking to run an ARO ski - my buddy has a foundry and a CNC machine. He's making me a new saddle to replace the one on the MT spindle which will fit the profile of the ARO damper. If anyone is interested, this will be a bolt on part to convert the Moto Trax spindle to accommodate the ARO ski.
Be good to see some pics and your impression of the ski. I could be interested for sure.
I like the Mototrax ski for everything except icy trail were it absolutely sucks. It's amazing even icy crust if there are no tracks it works great, but throw in tracks, forget it.

C
Jun 14, 2017
I would be interested in this also. I run the Mototrax spindle with a Mh ski would like to try an ARO ski on the spindle. Thanks

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Be good to see some pics and your impression of the ski. I could be interested for sure.
I like the Mototrax ski for everything except icy trail were it absolutely sucks. It's amazing even icy crust if there are no tracks it works great, but throw in tracks, forget it.
I really feel like you are suffering from Stockholm syndrome with the mototrax setup. If you ditch that spindle and ski, and drop 500$ on a traverse ski and spindle, you will be much much happier I believe. It’s well worth the upgrade imo.

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
I really feel like you are suffering from Stockholm syndrome with the mototrax setup. If you ditch that spindle and ski, and drop 500$ on a traverse ski and spindle, you will be much much happier I believe. It’s well worth the upgrade imo.

I don't know I try to keep an open mind and form my own opinions, not base them from others.
As far as snowbike skis I have only ridden three myself. My Mototrax, Traverse and Camso on buddies bikes. I don't find those skis have anything on mine in untracked snow, icy trails they are hands down better.
My experience in the snow ski world is extensive. I have lived through generations of changes and helped design the modern rockered big mountain skis. I am extremely picky with my snow skis and there are few I will use. My go to skis are discontinued and a few years old and getting beat, but I will continue to use them until I can find another pair or something else good gets developed.
As far as snowbike skis the CMX interests me the most. I wish I had access to a plastic molder, I definitely have some ideas.

Premium Features