• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Transporting fuel

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
I'm curious what people are using to transport fuel. I'd like to bring 30-50 gallons with me. I would need to be about to haul it in the bed of my truck but would prefer not mounting anything. I also prefer it be below the bed rails.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I use a old 55 gallon race gas barrel.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
we use 5 or 6 gallon jugs to haul what gas we need. have thought about a bigger tank but then would need a pump and hose and run electricity. most metal tanks sit up at least as high as the bed rails. I farm so we have had a few different service tanks and most are about even or a little taller than the bed.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Northern tool has 60 gallon tank toolbox combo fits below bed rails. One of the best things done. Dont have to worry about pulling trailer close to gas pumps. I have a good source of 91 ethanol free i run a mix of 40 gallons 91 and 20 of av gas. I also like the extra weight in truckbox when icey.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Especially if your pulled over in Montana for speeding with a 3500 pickup it was about as bad as crossing the border. Hp really thought we were contractor's.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
You gotta watch out hauling gasoline. Especially on Federal property. Gotta have proper containers thanks to OBAMA. They ticket you AND can take the fuel.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Different legal rules hauling gasoline vs diesel. Different colored cans & type of vents etc. Most metal tanks added to the back of a truck are diesel only. Here in SOCAL there are desert areas of BLM and NFS land. Go there to ride quads , jeeps and bikes. In a group of about 50 people law enforcement comes there and checks all registration , writing tickets, Then typically NFS motorized recreation officer on Federal land comes there and checks the fuel containers ... min $150 ticket for each container not compling with new regulations. Mostly gasoline in diesel or non flammable containers. Older containers do not have a grandfather clause because when manufactured they complied with fuel containment regulations. And after the ticket they take the fuel and pour out in a trailered fuel tank. Same holds true for leased federal land where a occupied property is built on. Was with a club on HWY 2 in Los Angeles forest. 40 leased acres 2 hours from downtown Los Angeles at 6500 feet. Pic of cabin is my icon. had to have special flammable lockers for anything flammable. Over 100 person membership it was crazy getting flammable items even cooking oil and any aerosol in a federal approved flammable locker. We eventually removed the cabinet covers in the kitchen then all lockers so was easy to check for flammable liquids. Ended up with one person responsible each day who would spend time with law enforcement and "pay" for the ticket if the club did not comply. Had 2 tow ropes for skiers powered by old 1950's gas truck where the entire frame of an truck was there and the rope system ran on the rear wheel. had to go to federal compliance hearings to rebuild shed housing them because lacked modern sumps / bilges in case engine oil leaked out of engine. Plus of course modern fuel gasoline tank to hold fuel. Then a fire suspression system beyond a fire extenguisher. BUilt in the 1920's had an out house bathroom. Hole in the ground for human waste. Ticketed for that had to remove odd house. Put in a porta potty , ticketed for not have it anchored and on and on. Also non members would walk right into the cabin all hours of the night thinking it was public access since its in the middle of the national forest. Demanding to use restroom, park block road access, throw trash away. not talking a few people ... On weekends hundreds non members being a couple hour drive from millions of people. I left when feds going after the septic tank for the cabin. A few paying to keep the cabin. only used tuesday thru thursday because too many weekenders blocking trails and parking so close to trailer couldnt load unload or even get out. Left the club because would ride past the 40 acreas all over the NFS trails. The trails adjacent to property because registered "hiking" trails so couldnt cross them on motorized vehicles to ride rest of forest.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Amazing post Don. There will come a time when the money will run out and people will be glad to have an outhouse.
There just isnt any COMMON SENSE any with all these regs. Unfortunately i believe that our country is heading on the same path as California. But at some point the money will run out and we will have a reset of society. Im glad to have lived though this time in our country.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
That's only 6-10 jugs. My vote would be to keep it simple and just fill more jugs. Makes filling sleds easy without the need for a pump or long twisty hose.
6-10 jugs sounds like a pain the AZZZZ.

I used to fill my mowers, side x side, and an acreage tractor with jugs. I bought a 100 gal tank and 12v pump, and very honestly was one of the best purchases I have EVER made. It just so much friggin easier. I have an RDS tank and a fill-rite pump, not sure if you could get something with enough capacity that would still fit below the bed rails.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
6-10 jugs sounds like a pain the AZZZZ.

Pshhh, the more jugs the merrier. Lol.
5adac7ef43c991aacad83ad32caf89e5.jpg

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
You know they make mounts for rotopax jugs right? Its kinda the whole point ;)

Well aware, and didn't work in this application. However, you got me thinking and now I have an idea that just might work. Thanks. Strapping them down isn't a big deal but sort of a pita at the end of the day when the sun is going down and I'm tired from riding all day.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Well aware, and didn't work in this application. However, you got me thinking and now I have an idea that just might work. Thanks. Strapping them down isn't a big deal but sort of a pita at the end of the day when the sun is going down and I'm tired from riding all day.
.... Joke... Winky Face... Sarcasm...

But yeah you could probably figure something out if you are just hauling fuel down the trail and stashing it till the trail ride home.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
You’ve gotta be the most hardcore rider I’ve ever seen if you are draining your whole tank and 6 extra gallons to get back to the truck on a day trip!

Premium Features