• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer must haves....

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
So my trailer is a couple weeks from being completed and I am putting the finishing touches on my layout. Are cabinets worth it? Or would wall organizers be more useable? I will be hauling two sleds 90% of the time but occasionally three. I don't have a ton of wall space but I am looking for storage recommendations. Is there anything you can't live without once you have it?

Thanks!

***This trailer is a gooseneck

Trailer Layout Final.jpg Trailer Layout Final 2.jpg Trailer Scale.jpg

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I have a 14' box with 4' V and haul 3 sleds. I load from the front so they all drive in. Backing them in can be a pain since mine is a deck over and the ramp is steeper.
I have a pair of shelves on the front V. Top shelf holds 4 milk crates, bottom shelf is shallower but holds tire chains and oil jugs. Otherwise, hooks up high along the long walls for coat hooks when changing in the trailer.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Pic final 2, will make for a scary swaying ride down the hwy.
U need tongue weight or that trailer will push even the heaviest diesel around corners with any bumps.

Sent it

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
It's pretty heavy on the tongue being steel and a gooseneck. Do think it's still going to take to too much weight off the hitch? I'd take it to the scales before setting the final position of the sleds.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
It's pretty heavy on the tongue being steel and a gooseneck. Do think it's still going to take to too much weight off the hitch? I'd take it to the scales before setting the final position of the sleds.
Ah, i didn't realize it was a gooseneck, that changes things quite a bit.
Probably won't hurt to have some weight behind the center of the axles.
Definitely have some type of storage up high, either shelving or cabinets. Keep everything off the floor so it stays dry and u don't trip over it.

Sent it

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Here is another loading option if I run all 6' Airline Track instead of 2x 6' and 2x 4'. I also through in a base cabinet. I am pretty much sold on an overhead cabinet. But I go back and forth on the base cabinet.

Trailer Layout Final 3.jpg Trailer Layout Final 3 with 2 sleds.jpg Trailer Layout Final 3 with 3 sleds.jpg

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
What your going to do with any room over the hitch?

Where do you plan on storing fuel jugs? When we make trips, I usually pack 4 6-gallon jugs so I don't have to go fill up for a couple days of riding. My gear tote is all plastic so it can sit in water on the floor so floor space is nice for possible storage and still get in and around the sleds.

What about riding the front sled in on the drivers side, then slide the rear over to the wall, back the second drivers slide in and kick the track into the middle so the floor is open as much as possible by the man door. Your base cabinet could go in front of the door against the hitch wall.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
I'm a fan of high mount cabinets. You're not limited on what you put in them, whereas some things fall out of racks from being too small, they'd bounce out, etc. You can also put USB/12V charging panels on the inside or outside of a cabinet wall. Mine hold tools, rope, flashlights, locks, trail maps, phones, radios, hats, gloves, beer, etc. All the stuff you can't live without and that your won't want on the floor.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
My order of priority for creature comforts is:
  1. Wall hooks or hooks below the cabinets to hang gear and clothing on while getting dressed. If you have heat in the trailer condensation on the walls will show up so hooks under overhead cabinets that hold your stuff off the wall are nice.
  2. Decent lighting with onboard battery so you can turn lights on when truck is off or unhooked.
  3. Heat. 12V fan to move air if heat is not forced air is a bonus.
  4. Fold down benches to sit on. Or throw a couple camp chairs in the gooseneck for the budget route.
  5. Folding work bench. Don't use it a lot for actually working on sleds but a flat spot to set "stuff" is always nice.
If they offer pop-open vents on the side of the trailer to let air blow through while your driving home it helps to thaw sleds out (if it's warm enough). Also if you use it in the summer and travel dirt roads you can open the front one to pressurize the trailer and keep the dust from filtering in.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
My order of priority for creature comforts is:
  1. Wall hooks or hooks below the cabinets to hang gear and clothing on while getting dressed. If you have heat in the trailer condensation on the walls will show up so hooks under overhead cabinets that hold your stuff off the wall are nice.
  2. Decent lighting with onboard battery so you can turn lights on when truck is off or unhooked.
  3. Heat. 12V fan to move air if heat is not forced air is a bonus.
  4. Fold down benches to sit on. Or throw a couple camp chairs in the gooseneck for the budget route.
  5. Folding work bench. Don't use it a lot for actually working on sleds but a flat spot to set "stuff" is always nice.
If they offer pop-open vents on the side of the trailer to let air blow through while your driving home it helps to thaw sleds out (if it's warm enough). Also if you use it in the summer and travel dirt roads you can open the front one to pressurize the trailer and keep the dust from filtering in.
The benches and work bench are on my radar. I was thinking a base cabinet but I'm not sure I want to lose the floor space 100% of the time

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If I had things I know I'd be bringing with me every trip and setting on the floor that would be better served in a cabinet then I'd consider it. I'd want the base to be fairly water tight as well.

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
The Sheyenne River Valley of ND
So my trailer is a couple weeks from being completed and I am putting the finishing touches on my layout. Are cabinets worth it? Or would wall organizers be more useable? I will be hauling two sleds 90% of the time but occasionally three. I don't have a ton of wall space but I am looking for storage recommendations. Is there anything you can't live without once you have it?

Thanks!

***This trailer is a gooseneck

How long is your new trailer?

Premium Features