• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer Insulation

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

agalen

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Helena, MT
I have a 27 foot Look that has a finished interior but no insulation. I'm curious with such small wall cavities and relatively low R value does insulating the walls and ceiling really pay off? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Isn't any insulation better than none?

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
It helps with condensation and adds r value. Go in a trailer with no insulation in the walls or ceiling kick the heater on when it's in the teens and below and you will have condensation dripping from the ceiling and walls. With a properly Insulated trailer theres very minimal condensation. Use the thickest rigid foam that will fit in the cavity or use a 1/2 rigid foam in the walls then a radiant reflection insulation for the ceiling use the tough r style insulation or spray foam. I can heat my 8.5x24 trailer with a 18,000 btu heater in below 0 temps with it insulated this way.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Not the case with my 7x29 uninsulated Aluma. It heats up quick with very little condensation even if I run it all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Not the case with my 7x29 uninsulated Aluma. It heats up quick with very little condensation even if I run it all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have yet to see a non insulated trail not condensate when its below below zero steel or aluminum or even 15 above. Put heat to steel or metal that's below 0 and your going to have condensation. You might not see it if your trailer is finished but it's there. Also you'll use a lot less propane and wont need as large of a heater with an insulated trailer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

D
Mar 23, 2010
Boulder, CO
I was quoted 700 to spray the walls and ceiling 1" thick on my 16' Triton. He also said they wouldn't fill them full, or it would be too challenging to trim the excess.

We removed the panels and put one inch foam in all the wall and 1.5" in the ceiling cavities.

No heater yet to compare.

Premium Features