• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer floor rebuild

J
Jul 19, 2019
Hello gang,

I bought a used Aluminium Mission trailer. I had no choice to remorve the old floor and replace it. This is 1/2'' plywood. I changed it but I found this is a bit weak. My girlfriend told me to let it like that as this had done the job for 10 years for former owner. But with my spare plywood parts I'm trinking to double it. So here is my quesitons:

- Do you think I should apply contact glue between the 2 plywood?
- Install the seconf one over the fist one without any glue ? ( I'm a bit affraid as there might intrudue water and get them rot faster)
- Do as the GF told and let it as is?

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Y not just buy 3/4 green treated plywood? It will last a long time and if u want it to last longer treat it with something to keep the water out.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Maybe you could router a little off the thickness where it slides into slots. I suppose the same could be done with a table saw if possible to install multiple blades for thickness of cut. Probably other ways to do it as well. I had considered the same thing on my 1/2” triton open trailer but the oem wood is still working after 20 years.

On the other hand, tell the GF what an astute observation that was and stay with 1/2”.

I would be leary of moisture getting between the boards so if I was doing that I would apply a lot of glue to seal it up tight as possible.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Im in process of doing the same. Fortunately my sled bed allows 3/4". If I was in your shoes - I would put down what was there and reinforce where needed. Or do - 5/8" and route out the difference. Or if you had a Dado blade for your saw it would go pretty quick to shave it down. I'm going with Marine grade as I hate painting. :)

J
Jul 19, 2019
Finally I choose to reinforce the trailer. Will add 3 * U chanels per section. 1 in center and 2 half distance from center . I had to remove the traited wood and will do the job this week . I'll keep you posted on results!

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Well - I went to THD yesterday and purchased 3/4 Marine grade plywood...and it looks like I will have to shave about a 1/8 ish of an inch off the edge - may old wold was so absorbed with water it probably skewed my thickness measurement. Even though it's marine grade - i'm also pondering sealing it with either Thompson water seal or some sort of varithane. Did you also seal your new plywood?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I used a two part epoxy on my floor when the trailer was new in 2007. It has held up good except the area on the leading edge where the carbides cut in coming off the ramp.

IMGP1772.JPG

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
I picked up some Mini Wax Helsman urethane today and starting the two coat process to get them installed. Already routed the edge to fit into the slots on the outside. Excited to get it complete.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
It was a Rustoleum product sold at Home Depot. Oil base, but have quit making or selling it, only the water based now. Rumor has it that it isn't as durable. Not sure what to suggest.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Get any marine grade oil based 2 part epoxy that SOAKS into the wood. Will last many years. Take plastic truck bed liner from the dump like $25 cut up for carbide protection.

Last coat add roughage or tire shavings for traction. Anything you drill into it predrill and fill with epoxy then screw in fastener. I have some decks in garaged still good after decades.

Find oldwax pour on deck can easily remove oil / water / fuel.

Premium Features