• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail Cooling on SLASH - How will it do?

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
Ive never had any issues with cooling on my sled even with the flap off (with doo scratchers). Even with my flap off I would say my sled runs cooler than my buddies 850 axys and my fathers mountain cat, the full cooler makes a big difference on the doo.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Sled length matters also.
My 155 khaos runs about the same temps as my 165 Alpha with the Khaos running a bit hotter, 130-160° on hard crappy trails.
My buddies 163 Pros run 20-40° cooler on the trail, 120°'s. They'll only get in to the 130°'s if it's icy.

Off trail, my Khaos is usually ~5° cooler than my buddies 163.

I tried running with a mini flap on the Khaos and seen 180° pretty quick.

Sent it

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I'm really up in the air on a 146 matrix slash or a Freeride 146. Problem here in the Northeast is we have to ride 40-50 miles to get to our play areas. I'm worried about cooling on the trail. With the Freeride I can get the accessory snowflap witch will help. Not so sure about the Matrix.... Guys that have rode them on the trail, what was your actual temps? Thanks for any help. The Khaos is really what I want but leaning Freeride because of this
I read somewhere that the 146" Khaos Slash has a longer cooler than the other Slash models, runs like 8" further back behind the gas tank vs. Stopping at the back of the tank like the others

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I read somewhere that the 146" Khaos Slash has a longer cooler than the other Slash models, runs like 8" further back behind the gas tank vs. Stopping at the back of the tank like the others

Yes I remember seeing something about that as well.. They know who their 146 market is, and they know most of those people will be running a lot of trail.. So they adjusted their cooling accordingly.

I'd love to be in the market for one right about now. That's the sled I've been craving for the last couple years.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Ive never had any issues with cooling on my sled even with the flap off (with doo scratchers). Even with my flap off I would say my sled runs cooler than my buddies 850 axys and my fathers mountain cat, the full cooler makes a big difference on the doo.

If I understand you correct, you are comparing an older Skidoo to a new Polaris chassis?

Last edited:

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
Yes I remember seeing something about that as well.. They know who their 146 market is, and they know most of those people will be running a lot of trail.. So they adjusted their cooling accordingly.

I'd love to be in the market for one right about now. That's the sled I've been craving for the last couple years.

Good to know, I have one more year warranty left on my doo and can see myself on a khaos 146 after that unless skidoo comes out with some significant changes for 2023.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
My cut tunnel 146 Axys RMK consistently ran 100-110 degrees on the trail with the 18 head and off trail it ran 88-100*. Logged well over 500 miles with the 18 head and the prior 600 miles with the 16-17 head and it ran 120-126" in pretty much every situation. I wouldn't be too worried about the cooling systems capacity.

kevpak24

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
MN
I rode a sks 146 2.25 lug last week no problems overheating actually thought it was running too cool 95-110 deg compared to what I was used to on my pro, occasionally on longer trail runs would get to 125 deg.
Just snow checked a Khaos matryx slash 146 with the 2.6 lug. Overheating is one thing and keeping hyfax lubed is another. They didn’t offer scratchers as an added accessory. Probably wouldn’t hurt to put a set on though? Thoughts? Thanks.

B
Dec 17, 2016
I'm really up in the air on a 146 matrix slash or a Freeride 146. Problem here in the Northeast is we have to ride 40-50 miles to get to our play areas. I'm worried about cooling on the trail. With the Freeride I can get the accessory snowflap witch will help. Not so sure about the Matrix.... Guys that have rode them on the trail, what was your actual temps? Thanks for any help. The Khaos is really what I want but leaning Freeride because of this

In my experience the Polaris tracks don’t hold up on hard, icy trails for long period. I’ve had a 2.4 and 2.6 track both completely blow apart on my sks.

Two friends with summit 146 have absolutely no issues with the 2.5 track and doo has more ski lift and I think is more fun when not out west.

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
I rode a sks 146 2.25 lug last week no problems overheating actually thought it was running too cool 95-110 deg compared to what I was used to on my pro, occasionally on longer trail runs would get to 125 deg.
Just snow checked a Khaos matryx slash 146 with the 2.6 lug. Overheating is one thing and keeping hyfax lubed is another. They didn’t offer scratchers as an added accessory. Probably wouldn’t hurt to put a set on though? Thoughts? Thanks.

The khaos slash 146 comes with scratchers. There is a demo one making its rounds at dealers nearby. I also own a sks 146. the hottest its ever been is 125 and that is from very slow riding. So i am not really concerned about how the cooling is going to be on the slash.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Put 10+ miles of groomed trail riding on our test ride on NA and boosted slash sleds.

It absolutely worked BETTER then a stock '21 and WAY better then my Khaos with a cut tunnel and no flap. The new cooler works a lot better at transfering heat out of the coolant. IM excited for this to be less of a challange then i deal with right now.

You should man up and quit riding so many trails ?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
You should man up and quit riding so many trails ?
I wish. The unfortunate nature of our riding areas. Never enough snow to hop off the road for 10-15 miles except for peak snowpack season (march-april)

Im thankful for the cooling system update on the Matryx sleds. Its a welcome change in my book. The internal/external fins helped a ton with heat dissipation. Capactiy wasn't the issue before it was more of a heat transfer issue.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
In my experience the Polaris tracks don’t hold up on hard, icy trails for long period. I’ve had a 2.4 and 2.6 track both completely blow apart on my sks.
What speed do you go on trails?
Scratchers up or down?-- leaving scratchers up, even for short periods, will quickly overheat a track and cause premature failures.

Premium Features