• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track Style Opinions. Power Claw or Ch.E.

G
Feb 23, 2010
I am going to stretch my HC to 153. Need to pick a track. Power Claw or Challenger Extreme seem to be the best choices in either 2.25 or 2.5. I don't know if I really need the 2.6???? Ride mostly back east. Please let me know which way you guys think would be best. I try to get input from you mountain guys as you have a lot more seat time in deep powder. I'm jealous for sure. We do get a lot of off trail here and in Quebec. Thanks Dave

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I find the powerclaw is a great powder track but on hard back it spins a lot, also if you like going down steep hills... Dont expect to have much stopping power with the PC. Its a softer compound so thats why its not the greatest on hardpack it doesn't dig in and grip I guess you could say. If your mainly in powder I would definitely say get the PC but if you ride a lot of hardpack, or do any chutes that involve scary descents I would recommend it, because that track is terrifying on some long steep downhills.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I find the powerclaw is a great powder track but on hard back it spins a lot, also if you like going down steep hills... Dont expect to have much stopping power with the PC. Its a softer compound so thats why its not the greatest on hardpack it doesn't dig in and grip I guess you could say. If your mainly in powder I would definitely say get the PC but if you ride a lot of hardpack, or do any chutes that involve scary descents I would recommend it, because that track is terrifying on some long steep downhills.

the 2.6 stops fine for me on hills

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I put a new 2.5" Camo Extreme on my 2012 this year. After running it all year in all kinds of snow conditions I do not think its as good of an all around track as the 2.25 PC and not nearly as good as the new 2.6.

Camo Extreme Low Points
On a groomed trail the Extreme will just spin and spin. I believe this is because the paddles are just flat across the top with no notches in them. Not sure why they stopped notching them. The new Camo Extremes that fit a Polaris are notched but not the Cat??

Camo Extreme Good Points
Great in the deep. Floats really well. Stops some better than the PC but not worlds better.

I have both tracks still and I'm going to sell both of them and get a 2.6 for next year.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
I don't know if I really need the 2.6????

you "don't really need" alot of things, but the 2.6 isn't one of them. It is amazing. Look at my avatar....bone stock sled....not even a vertical slope, went right over backwards....SPF!!!

And as far as downhill is concerned....they all slide downhill if you lock of the brakes. The PC is and always has been manageable. IMHO the 2.6 is better downhill than the 2.25....still a little squirrely on the STEEP stuff but they all are.

Last edited:

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
for where you live the 2.25 will suit you just fine and perform just fine if you ever get to visit the West. If you were closer to the mountains i would tell you to do the 156"X3" but that is a waste where you live imo.

G
Feb 23, 2010
I guess if it is the Power Claw I just need to decide 2.25 or2.6 Would the 2.6 Be any harder on hyfax when riding the trails when we have to??? If not an issue I think the 2.6 sounds like a better or best option. I have good scratchers and use them whenever they are needed.

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
I stretched my HC to 153 and put a 2.6 PC 85 duro on from a HCR. The track is a little stiffer than the stock m8 2.6.

I'm telling you this track is f-in awesome. Stops good and takes off like crazy!

I would do this again and again and again.

KJP

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
I guess if it is the Power Claw I just need to decide 2.25 or2.6 Would the 2.6 Be any harder on hyfax when riding the trails when we have to??? If not an issue I think the 2.6 sounds like a better or best option. I have good scratchers and use them whenever they are needed.

IMO no, it wouldn't be a problem. its a tough track. seemed thicker to me too. nothing to verify this tho...just gut.

Bottom line tho, If you want a kick arse mt sled that you can hammer trail on too, then go 2.6. If you want a kick arse trail sled that will take you in the pow and steep and deep on OCCASION, then go 2.25. You are polling the opinions of a bunch of "mt exclusive" riders...so we will all say 2.6, why get a 2.25 when you can have a 2.6? but make the best decision for you. I live 1000mi from where I ride, but if I didn't ride there, I wouldn't ride. thats me.

4mcntrls

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Drayton Valley Alberta
The new PC is a better track than the new CE IMO. I think that they really dropped the ball on the new CE design with out the notches on the lugs it has no hard pack traction.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
I am going to stretch my HC to 153. Need to pick a track. Power Claw or Challenger Extreme seem to be the best choices in either 2.25 or 2.5. I don't know if I really need the 2.6???? Ride mostly back east. Please let me know which way you guys think would be best. I try to get input from you mountain guys as you have a lot more seat time in deep powder. I'm jealous for sure. We do get a lot of off trail here and in Quebec. Thanks Dave

Doesn't the HC have the 141" PC?

G
Feb 23, 2010
Yes as new it has 141" skid with a PC 2.25. I have 153 Ice age rails coming and need to pick the right track for next winter. We r dying fast here in the NE. SO won't ride till next winter. Thx all.

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
Why are you stretching it anyways? Riding over there, that sled should easily have enough track for you?

G
Feb 23, 2010
I am the type of guy that likes to get all the performance I can out of something. I ride with some guys that have the 153's and they just do better where we ride off trail. I am 260 so the 141 side by side just cuts in that much more. Also for some reason the 153 is a lot better on hyfax. The best I have been able to do was 980 miles on a set. Yes using really good scratchers whenever needed. I am gong to try the Ice Age rails and a track to be determined. I should have bought an M, I know. I didn't because I was comparing it to my pals 2011 M and didn't realize how much less this new platform pushes and how easy it steers compared to old. SO that leaves me here. Not disappointed at all with the sled, except for the clutches!!!! Hopefully something will come from Cat. If not it is TEAM TIED for me with the stock M gears from TEAM with the good chain. Better skies and Jackshaft maybe??? trail tank or cat 12 gal. tank. When I have it apart I will look at the jackshaft and determine if I want to just put an aftermarket shaft in. Thanks for the input.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Yes as new it has 141" skid with a PC 2.25. I have 153 Ice age rails coming and need to pick the right track for next winter. We r dying fast here in the NE. SO won't ride till next winter. Thx all.

Did you get rid of the 141" PC yet?

Premium Features