• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track Speed with Clutching/Gearing Changes

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Belt drive now on, threw 2.52 gearing in it from 2.63 stock chaincase. Gained ~6 km/h over stock and lost 200-250rpm. Again in deep revy snow, roughly 30-35 slope. We swapped sleds and both did numerous runs to get a good comparison (same sled I compared with originally, 20 HC 165). Geared up he’s about 30 lbs lighter than me and he would see 2 km/h more on both sleds consistently. His stock 61-62, mine now 67-68 (originally I was using mph).

I’m now going to throw some adjustable weights to get the rpm back, not sure if that will grab a km or 2 of track speed or not. Then try and find a good helix/springs to try and snag some more if possible, without any negative clutching effects.

On another note, back to back riding the chaincase vs belt drive we were both surprised at the gained responsiveness of the belt drive. I wasn’t expecting something I could feel to be honest.

Premium Features