• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS???

P
Jul 30, 2021
Washington
Hey everyone I'm working through a problem on a new to me 2008 Dragon 700 RMK high (3200RPM) idle issue . I'm thinking vacuum leak so this is what I've done for trouble shooting and just maintenance:
- new intake boot
- cleaned throttle body
- cleaned/rebuilt power valve
- o- rings on injectors
- cleaned and inspected reeds

Started it up........3200rpm's after a bit engine code 5 for exhaust temp comes on. It's for running above 3k rpm's for longer than 2 minutes, etc etc etc. Can't imagine that would have anything to do with cause of high idle.

So back to trouble shooting:
- sprayed throttle/ brake cleaner around engine expecting if their was a vacuum leak it would pull it in and raise the rpm's. That did not happen..... so no vacuum leak??
- I'm about to check out my TPS. Been on YouTube for videos and have a fair knowledge through YouTube university.
- I also read a review that the ECU was damaged done how. I have a 2009 800 dragon, if plugs match up do you think theirs any harm swapping the computer into the 700?

Thx any advice would be great, TIA.

20210915_200246.jpg 20210915_193255.jpg 20210915_205105.jpg

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I don't know if there is any harm but the TPS voltages are set different for the 700 and 800. It most likely wouldn't prove anything by swapping ECUs.
Best bet is to go through the setting of your TPS using the proper ECU and see what you come up with. Have you looked at the idle voltage setting to see what it is before adjusting it?

P
Jul 30, 2021
Washington
I don't know if there is any harm but the TPS voltages are set different for the 700 and 800. It most likely wouldn't prove anything by swapping ECUs.
Best bet is to go through the setting of your TPS using the proper ECU and see what you come up with. Have you looked at the idle voltage setting to see what it is before adjusting it?

I have not looked into the tps yet. I'm looking into the exhaust gas temp sensor currently. Through that blink code 5. Gonna correct that first, if that doesn't fix it.......tps here I come.

P
Jul 30, 2021
Washington
Okay I'm back with even more dead ends. I went through my TPS and came up swinging. I first tested the current setting, it was with in .002vdc so I almost didn't move forward. I decided to go ahead with my TPS testing. I first started with a baseline, I backed off my throttle cable and then my throttle stop. The TPS was sitting at .687vdc so it was off. I adjusted to .700 on the dot by rotating the TPS itself and locking it down. I then brought the idle set to .950vdc on the dot. I knew I had this licked. Put everything back together and pulled the rope. Boom.....right back up to 3200 rpm's. Crap I fixed nothing, again.....

I did notice the coolant temp sensor was not at the desired resistance. Desired 2.5k-ish ohms and mine was at 4+k ohms. I'm assuming that would show it to be extremely cold and then would it ever show it to be warm? Don't know.

I also checked my spark plugs, they are not showing a lean issue situation at all. However I'm only running for maybe 1-2 minutes each time.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
White Grey Measuring instrument Gas Font

Automotive tire Household hardware Gas Auto part Electric blue

Motor vehicle Plant Measuring instrument Vehicle Gauge

P
Jul 30, 2021
Washington
Okay I'm back with even more dead ends. I went through my TPS and came up swinging. I first tested the current setting, it was with in .002vdc so I almost didn't move forward. I decided to go ahead with my TPS testing. I first started with a baseline, I backed off my throttle cable and then my throttle stop. The TPS was sitting at .687vdc so it was off. I adjusted to .700 on the dot by rotating the TPS itself and locking it down. I then brought the idle set to .950vdc on the dot. I knew I had this licked. Put everything back together and pulled the rope. Boom.....right back up to 3200 rpm's. Crap I fixed nothing, again.....

I did notice the coolant temp sensor was not at the desired resistance. Desired 2.5k-ish ohms and mine was at 4+k ohms. I'm assuming that would show it to be extremely cold and then would it ever show it to be warm? Don't know.

I also checked my spark plugs, they are not showing a lean issue situation at all. However I'm only running for maybe 1-2 minutes each time.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
White Grey Measuring instrument Gas Font

Automotive tire Household hardware Gas Auto part Electric blue

Motor vehicle Plant Measuring instrument Vehicle Gauge

P
Jul 30, 2021
Washington
Well I hate to do it but I finally listened to others and bought some starting fluid. The clutch side crank seal appears to be bad. Hosed it down and my idle went from 3200 down to nearly killing it as I held it there. $850 just in labor, I really want to do it.i just don't have the facility to do so.

Premium Features