• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS check / adjust step by step.

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Even though it's in spec there is ( a sweep) allowed. Some sleds I have tweaked on responded differently. While some like the idle @ 940 and the base at 690.
Try playing with setting within the ranges - mine was a boggin b**** on top till I played with the settings and found her sweet spot.
That's why the digital wrench is only a guide that the dealers use.. and if it fall into the range (spectrum) then they call it good.

The sweep ranges are:
Base; 690-710
Idle; 930-949
Small range but some sled react differently than others.
Mine sled ended up after 5 trial and errors.. as follows... Base 701 /Idle 940.......... 2016 Axys 163 2.6
Yeah it was not fun till I found it, then it's game on and all worth the effort.
Hope this helps you out- lot's of info on this thread but it's 10 pages now and a few years old, so I just gave the reader digest version.. ( I am aging myself with that :ROFLMAO:)

Last edited:
H
Oct 23, 2015
. Now hook up a GOOD quality volt meter to the TPS connector, its in the bag right above the PTO spark plug. Its 3 wires, triangle connector, Black, Blue, Yellow. Leave the connector plugged in and carefully back probe the terminal between the wire and weather pack seal. If you dont have a back probe, use a very thin gauge paper clip unfolded.

I can't find the triangle shaped TPS connector on my 2013 PRO RMK 800. Is there possibly another plug shape? Or something like that going on? Am I going to to have to probe off the sensor itself or can I probe out of the ECM?

F
Dec 30, 2019
I am currently dealing with a new sled that is eating plugs on one cylinder nearly every ride. Maybe I am jumping the gun here, but if the dealer is unable to resolve this (being told it’s normal) and if it continues to foul plugs once I am out of break-in mode, then I would like to check/adjust my TPS. I am currently at 17-1/2 hours and the manual says 2 hours extra fuel and 18 hours oil enrichment. However I had a tech tell me it is 18 hours above a certain rpm (5500 or 7000?) to get the true map. Dealer has tested compression, fuel pressure, coil, and are replacing reeds. Get the sled back in a few days. So I am just in the process of educating myself in the event I need to adjust/replace TPS. My dirt bike came very lean from factory and adjusting the TPS made a night and day difference.

I have read this entire thread and I am curious where this baseline voltage of .700 VDC comes from? My service manual of course outlines the digital wrench procedure and only makes mention of two voltages .913 and .940.....well and of course the 5.0V.

8-C91-DCE1-5-E16-4323-B90-D-3-BFF8-E3-CC982.png

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I am currently dealing with a new sled that is eating plugs on one cylinder nearly every ride. Maybe I am jumping the gun here, but if the dealer is unable to resolve this (being told it’s normal) and if it continues to foul plugs once I am out of break-in mode, then I would like to check/adjust my TPS. I am currently at 17-1/2 hours and the manual says 2 hours extra fuel and 18 hours oil enrichment. However I had a tech tell me it is 18 hours above a certain rpm (5500 or 7000?) to get the true map. Dealer has tested compression, fuel pressure, coil, and are replacing reeds. Get the sled back in a few days. So I am just in the process of educating myself in the event I need to adjust/replace TPS. My dirt bike came very lean from factory and adjusting the TPS made a night and day difference.

I have read this entire thread and I am curious where this baseline voltage of .700 VDC comes from? My service manual of course outlines the digital wrench procedure and only makes mention of two voltages .913 and .940.....well and of course the 5.0V.

8-C91-DCE1-5-E16-4323-B90-D-3-BFF8-E3-CC982.png

Assuming you are talking about a 2016 + 800ho.

Base setting is when the idle screw is backed off. Do this with the painted head screws holding the tps in place. (.698 is ultimate)

Idle setting is set by the idle set screw and locknut. (.940 is best)

F
Dec 30, 2019
Assuming you are talking about a 2016 + 800ho.

Base setting is when the idle screw is backed off. Do this with the painted head screws holding the tps in place. (.698 is ultimate)

Idle setting is set by the idle set screw and locknut. (.940 is best)

Yes it’s a 2018 SKS 800.

I realize this is the case based on what I have read in this thread. I was just curious how someone came up with the .700 since Polaris doesn’t specify this. I’m gathering some guru just figured out what is optimal?

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Can anyone comment on what all needs removed to do this on a sled with a Silber turbo? With the factory airbox being gone, does everything else still need to come off? Thanks.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Back probing the yellow wire gives me the same voltage that my 12v power supply is providing(12.54v) instead of the desired 5.00v.

what does that mean?

What do I need to replace to get the voltage back to 5.0v?

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Yes I think it is the ecu the drops it down but not sure. Maybe someone else will chime in on that one.
Post a picture of the plug you're using to power up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
All of you with BD turbos, are you having cold idle issues? Have you found a TPS setting that helps with this? I set mine dead on to spec in this thread and she wont idle cold. Idle is pretty low as it is as well. Yes I have thoroughly checked everything on the sled. Everything! She runs like a raped ape, just doesnt like to idle. I used the same technique with my 16 Silber and that one idled great. I have heard this is a BD thing.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
All of you with BD turbos, are you having cold idle issues? Have you found a TPS setting that helps with this? I set mine dead on to spec in this thread and she wont idle cold. Idle is pretty low as it is as well. Yes I have thoroughly checked everything on the sled. Everything! She runs like a raped ape, just doesnt like to idle. I used the same technique with my 16 Silber and that one idled great. I have heard this is a BD thing.
Did u end up getting it to idle?

Also is this the correct thread for 2018 axys or pro chassis only?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Premium Features