• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tough starting 05 Efi King

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
The 05 King Cat is getting tougher to start. Always been tough to turn over first few pulls but always fired on the 3 or 4 pull. Seems like I'm pullin 10 or so times before it fires? Is there issues I should look for tips to make it easier to fire up? Seems to start fine after warm. Maybe it's me, just getting weak in older years....pathetic
Thanks

Last edited:

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Some possibilities I can think of would be partly plugged intake (sometimes called smart valves) in the tank. Low compression, low fuel pressure, cracked and leaking throttle body boot.

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Thanks for the info. I probably do not have the smarts or talents to check all that. What should compression be at if i can get that checked? Smart valves hard to get at?
Thanks again

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
compression should be around 125. Gauges will vary from one to another. You should be able to fish the smart valves out through the filler neck with a wire with a hook on the end.

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
I got 111 for compression on both. slightly lower after I warmed it up a bit. Did not hold throttle open, does that impact reading on a efi sled? Started better today! Not sure what to think, always seems to have more than enough power, but don't want to cause major damage.
Thanks

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
I got 111 for compression on both. slightly lower after I warmed it up a bit. Did not hold throttle open, does that impact reading on a efi sled? Started better today! Not sure what to think, always seems to have more than enough power, but don't want to cause major damage.
Thanks

Yes you want to hold the throttle open when doing compression check. WOT for three or four pulls.

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Read 120 or so with throttle held open, hope the old girl will last awhile! Plan on putting a little starting fluid on the plugs to get her to fire a little faster, then run the heck out of it!
Thanks for the input.

Premium Features