• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Torque limiter lets loose=Damage!

J
Dec 10, 2012
My Polaris '99 XCR700 suddenly decided that the torque limiting plate, adjustment knob, and rubber bumper didn't want to be attached anymore. All the pop rivets tore out, allowing the plate to come free and lodge in the 2ndary, grinding up the 2 faces of that clutch and shredding a new belt.:mad2:

Prior to this lovely event, I was under the impression that torque limiters were a mod add-on, and probably only used by purists trying to extract the last few HP from their machines.

As I attempt to restore the drive and driven mechanisms, is there any advise I should be aware of?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
its really common. just rivet or bolt er back in pace, check the motor mounts, and maybe think about an aftermaket torque arm. slp used to make em, its a puller style..

J
Dec 10, 2012
Arrghhh!

its really common. just rivet or bolt er back in pace, check the motor mounts, and maybe think about an aftermaket torque arm. slp used to make em, its a puller style..

Unfortunately I believe it was an aftermarket arm that became detached. While it was in place, I don't see how I could have forseen the sudden release, short of taking it off or backing it off and trying to 'wiggle' the engine.

This was definitely an enthusiasm dampening event.:mad2:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Check your motor mounts, especially the front left one. They break and then the motor moves a whole bunch more than its supposed to... pounding torque stop to pieces.

sled_guy

Premium Features