• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Top of the world, beartooth lake?

B
Apr 14, 2008
FINLAND, MN
Stum there was talk of this happening but I’m not sure what the Forestservice decided? On my onx app it is now showing north and west of beartooth lake being wilderness but I’m not sure if it is closed?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I know there were several proposals, a couple of which would have had a major impact. I don't remember any of the proposals shutting down the whole area, but there was potential for around a third of the area people ride up there being closed off. I'll have to dig and see what, if anything came of all that. Sadly, look for this kind of BS to ramp up in the coming years. Hopefully we can fight it off, but it's going to call for all hands on deck.

HOOTS

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
S.W MN
I know there were several proposals, a couple of which would have had a major impact. I don't remember any of the proposals shutting down the whole area, but there was potential for around a third of the area people ride up there being closed off. I'll have to dig and see what, if anything came of all that. Sadly, look for this kind of BS to ramp up in the coming years. Hopefully we can fight it off, but it's going to call for all hands on deck.

Any info on this yet?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
It's part of the Shoshone travel management plan, and there's more info on that in this thread: https://www.snowest.com/forum/threa...n-togwotee-and-top-of-the-world-areas.459979/
Direct link to the USFS website on the topic: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/shoshone/home/?cid=stelprd3846526
Pull up the maps for Clark Fork and North Fork from Subpart C to see what's on the chopping block. The high lakes WSA may be closed off, under alternative 3.

Apparently, nothing changes for this season, but there's potential for a fair amount to be closed off. That's as much as I can tell you. Unfortunately, it looks like the comment period is over, but at least it's only one of the proposals that would take a big swath of land. I forgot about this until recently, so it looks like I missed the last round of comments, but at least I was able to submit a comment earlier. Sadly, it seems we're going to be fighting on a regular basis just to keep what we have. The good news is, there seems to be more directed opposition to these wilderness land grabs, and that's led to some wins.

HOOTS

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
S.W MN
Thanks! How is the snow looking for TOW and around town? Hoping land mines are getting covered and getting a base? Planning to get there 1st or 2nd week of Jan.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
To be honest, I haven't actually been up there yet, but it should be rideable. Unfortunately, unless we get a dump between now and then, I wouldn't expect it to be great. November was warm and dry, and this month hasn't brought that much snow. The SNOTEL sites in the area at sitting around 50-70% of normal, and a friend I talked to a couple weeks ago said the guys going up anyway were tearing their sleds up; that was the general N. WY area though (Top, Big Horns, Cooke). So you might want to take a look at reports and have a backup plan. Also, I'm hoping to go up after new year, so drop me a line if you're looking for people to ride with.

Premium Features