• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tools??

D
Apr 30, 2012
Idaho
Putting together a tool roll. What is recommended? FYI, ktm and aro.
What would be nice are useful “multi-tools” to reduce bulk and weight.

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
A 3/8" T-handle and sockets for pretty much everything on your bike and kit. Then look for the specific things that need an end wrench (track tension lock nuts) and add those too. If you can get away with a Swedish Nut Lathe (crescent wrench), then gamble with that route. Look for a T handle that has drivers on both the short and long ends. Then of course a Leatherman, tape, zip ties, and safety wire.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I carry probably too many tools but hey better safe than sorry. I have a full set of sockets from 6mm to 19mm a bunch of open end wrenches, full set of alan keys, screwdrivers, spare chains in two pieces so I can make a drive chain or a chaincase chain, tape, zip ties, 3/8 drive ratchet with a 1/4" adaptor and extension and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. Sounds like a lot but its not too bad.

I refuse to try and fix something with some POS multitool out in a snow bank. Having the right tools makes a bad time go better. There's good weight and bad weight. Bad weight is around your waist, good weight is tools.

M5

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Dry sparkplug and a way to change it.

Little baby vice grips are great, and i carry those. Or at least one of them.

Most other stuff already covered.

Sat phone, Spot, or InReach.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
I'm in the process of finally mounting a Pelican tool box to my Camso. Here's a few pics of where I'm mounting it and what's inside so far. Sockets (only 1/4" drive), hex keys, master link, spark plug, vise grip, spare fasteners, matches, lighter to start a fire (not for weed)....we're mounting the box with the lid to be accessible from the back in case the bike falls to one side or the other. A spare flash light along with a helmet light and the bike's head light in case we get caught out in the dark. Hard to see my tools well without a head light.

DSCN9912.JPG DSCN9911.JPG DSCN9910.JPG

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
chain

I add a chain breaker,couple of links and master links. Never used them on my own bike, but I have seen broken chains. Good tow strap made of fiber optic installation pull tape, loop to go around the pull bike bumper/loop in the other ends to go around foot pegs for the disabled bike. Already used the pull tape on a bike this fall.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
As important as the tools, how is the case...if it breaks apart like many I have bought?

I have 2 , same kit but one is gear wrench brand and one is kobalt ( I think both are built by gear wrench as they are identical but kobalt costs less ). The kobalt case has no issues and the gear wrench is now held closed by a wrap of double sided Velcro wrapped around it but thats because I let it do some downhilling last summer in Utah dessert and it got a little beat up.

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
I pack one of these tow straps (Steadymate Snowmobile Tow Straps - 15543) and a couple handlebar soft ties. You can get them on amazon or fortnine or wherever. Use the soft tie loops to choke each footpeg and then hook the bridle to each side and then out the front in between the fork legs over top of the spindle. Have used them a few times to tow sleds off the mountain and they work awesome. Got to try it out last weekend towing my bike :face-icon-small-fro and it worked great.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
put your lighters in a zip loc bag, then put that in another zip loc bag. also throw about 1/4 roll of toilet paper in there!!! I usually carry some sweets or chocolates (my one riding buddy is type 1 diabetic) just in case.

a 20' x 2" ratchet strap without the ratchet mechanism, rolled up so its just the strap and a hook.. takes very little space and is an amazing tow rope if needed.

for KTM guys: take spare torx bits!!!!!! big ones too like t45

as far as cases, a pelican 1400 case is near impossible to break and not overly expensive either. I carry a spare quart of engine oil in mine too. between a pelican case on the skid, a tool bag on the handlebar, and a bag on your back with the smaller/lighter tools, there is more than enough room to carry everything you need, and then some.

otherwise you guys seem to have it covered.

Last edited:
M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Thanks for the photos. How do you embed photos into your post? Each time I attach photos they get linked and only show when clicked.

Also, how do you attach your Pelican without drilling into the body...this would make it less water proof if you went into a creek.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thanks for the photos. How do you embed photos into your post? Each time I attach photos they get linked and only show when clicked.

Also, how do you attach your Pelican without drilling into the body...this would make it less water proof if you went into a creek.

I do photos with Tapatalk. (Easy no resizing embed)

Drill the case and put silicone in bolt threads.

Plenty sealed.

206b7e55962c8f4a7a9ed75a636784be.jpg

Premium Features