• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To old to ride?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Coming up on 80 in March, riding since 1967 and don't plan on quitting till in the pine box. Not as crazy on hill climbing as when younger but still love it. Made a 10 day trip with wife and another couple last spring up to Island Park, West Jellystone and Alpine area. Poor conditions in some areas and ok in other areas. Some days we did a 100 miles.

Also driving the groomer for our local club several times a month. AGE IS JUST A NUMBER!
Ron :face-icon-small-win

You freaking rock old man!!!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Coming up on 80 in March, riding since 1967 and don't plan on quitting till in the pine box. Not as crazy on hill climbing as when younger but still love it. Made a 10 day trip with wife and another couple last spring up to Island Park, West Jellystone and Alpine area. Poor conditions in some areas and ok in other areas. Some days we did a 100 miles.

Also driving the groomer for our local club several times a month. AGE IS JUST A NUMBER!
Ron :face-icon-small-win
You definitely have the spirit and longevity of a die hard snowmobiler. Thank you for sharing!:face-icon-small-hap

S
Nov 30, 2011
don't know about you, but I am 79 ,, 80 in April I rode solid up untill I was 76, my wife is 73 she rode till 68, not trails , almost all was back country and off trail. of course I made sure I had some big guys with me, the only reason I quit, was I was not smart enough to stay on trails, by the way during thoes years from 60 on I have had cancer twice, 3 heart attacks, 5 stints and one by-pass, 2 eye operations ,,both knees replaced, have downsized sleds to 2 600 Mt cats , and still ride on occasions when I can.................you are only as old as you want to be.............good luck:face-icon-small-coo

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I met a really nice gentleman at Christmas dinner that is still riding and snowboarding at 71! In a portion of Alaska with no groomed trails.

IMO it all revolves around ones attitude, if you tell yourself you can, you can and will. If you tell yourself you can't then you won't.

I believe it was Henry Ford who penned this famous quote,"Wether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right"

The power of positive thought is huge! A little optimism can go a long way also.

So grab life by the horns and ride it for all she's worth! Have fun with it!

Last edited:
B
Jul 15, 2020
Age is just a number if you're loyal to your body and feelings. Everybody is different and grows in a different way, but there are a lot of common facts which can't be ignored in terms of aging and fitness. In order to decrease the process of aging one must follow the perfect fitness plan with a diet that fits into your lifestyle.

S
Jan 21, 2016
I find myself getting more winded every year, How old is to old for backcountry riding?

I'm turning 60, should I stop crying and exercise more?
Hang in there . You are never to old if you have the desire. I am 63 over weight and both knees are shot. I have to wear some pretty stiff knee braces to be able to wrong foot forward side hills. Slower than a slug going from one running board to the other. My riding partner of 30 years is 66 and has had both knees replaced and has had a stint put in his heart. We still thrive in the back country. We are not as fast as we once where but we still have great days. Every day on the sled is a great day. If you love to ride try and Tailor your ride around what you can do. Not what you can not do. I get winded also. just catch your breath and hit the hills again. Started sledding in 1970. I can not even count how many sleds i have had. Just got me knew rmk 850 qd2 155. i am retired and can not stay off of it. Have fun you can do it

D
Nov 26, 2007
Tieton,Wash
Hang in there . You are never to old if you have the desire. I am 63 over weight and both knees are shot. I have to wear some pretty stiff knee braces to be able to wrong foot forward side hills. Slower than a slug going from one running board to the other. My riding partner of 30 years is 66 and has had both knees replaced and has had a stint put in his heart. We still thrive in the back country. We are not as fast as we once where but we still have great days. Every day on the sled is a great day. If you love to ride try and Tailor your ride around what you can do. Not what you can not do. I get winded also. just catch your breath and hit the hills again. Started sledding in 1970. I can not even count how many sleds i have had. Just got me knew rmk 850 qd2 155. i am retired and can not stay off of it. Have fun you can do it

Premium Features