• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To old to ride?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
When I picked my wife's t3 174 last year there was a 80 year old guy picking the same thing. He was pretty cool to talk to. Made my day to see that.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Not my story but worth repeating...Story was from Beergut on here one night out drinking.

He said he was on this large club ride (not something he likes to do) but went anyway to meet new folks. He said there was this ONE guy that rode pretty good and hard but always tended to take the hard lines and only make it 50% of the time. Always to get assisted by others in getting him out. All day long BG kept thinking...."what a jerk if you cant do the line dont do it and slow us all down" well it was towards the end of the day he got stuck near beergut so he was first on the scene. Much to his surprise when the guy took his helmet off he was in his early 80's!!! :face-icon-small-coo

Beergut said to me...."Hell I applaud that guy and will pull him out anytime he needs it!!" Kudos to this guy

C

Carter

Dec 6, 2007
I'm 68 years at life. Been guiding the last 20......about 5500 miles a year, give or take...all I hear is "I hope I can ride as good as you when I get to your age".....passion is a strange travel companion.......doesn't matter what you do, the passion is a motivator......in that fish house catching the big one or the 1 mile long side hill carve, or the walk around the block, its the juice.........I ride because the voices in my head tell me to........I love watching the younger crowd learning and getting better and trying to out ride the next guy, and of course trying to out ride me. Some can, most can't......Its a frame of mind...its the juice.......take that age thing and stuff it.....2016 season is here.....lets get ripping.......

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I'm 52. Workout pretty much everyday. Keeping the weight off and staying in shape is probably the most important thing to enjoying an active life style. Sledding, hunting, skiing, whatever. There is a great book called Younger Next Year that's explains how your body responds to exercise and what happens when you don't. It was written for guys 50 plus years old who were retiring or having more time off to do the things they loved besides work. I read it when I was 43 and it changed my life and how I think about exercise and diet. His take is health and fitness were the number one most important thing to a guy's quality of life when he got older. Single most motivating book I've ever read.

ATVPT

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
www.youtube.com
Old as dirt

I will be turning 61 next time around, and I still manage to get out there sledding with my buddy Mark Leipheimer.............

736093_10201126642020844_1956898327_o.jpg

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
71 years, keep myself fit with swimming, weights, stair-master, rowing and other aerobics...weigh the same as 30 years ago....my sled is a 940 light weight cat, can still ride with about anyone, but not all, but i don't let that bother me, if i ride all day with them, they'll need my help with a stick or mechanical problem that i have lots of experience fixing...i frequently ride with a much younger crowd, my same age friends have pretty much hung it up, i just tag along with whoever looks like they might be able to ride and have fun...no one ever asks how old i am to tag along, once they see the grey when we stop for lunch, i get the how old are you question....that's after they've been high marked all morning, kind of fun....life has lots of questions that need to be answered, don't put anyone in a box based on preconceived notions about ability, they just might surprise you....i spent 25 years as a fighter pilot, 6 in the F-16, and a bunch more as a B-737 captain for a major airline....i don't see age per se as a problem, everyone ages sooner or later, later is better..:face-icon-small-hap

Crash1

Premium Member
Jan 27, 2015
Harbor Springs, Mi
Matte Murder has it right. Buy that book. I give them away if Someone at our fitness club can't afford it, I simply ask them to pass it on. Your everyday diet, 4-5 x's per week strength and cardio, no bitchen, just do it. Look me up, www.baytennisandfitness.com, best in the country, adding a CrossFit as we speak, and you can all do it. Even if your busted up, you can train with the right attitude.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
One of my buddies had to give it up for while but he'll be back.

He's just 55 but added another kid to the future work crew.
So priorities trump over passion for a bit.

Maybe it's the other way around??

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
I'm 60 and still do ok. Here's a tip though, I usually ride with younger stronger guys so if I get stuck instead of jumping off and tugging right away I take my sweet time and sure enough here comes one or two of my buds and I let them give me a hand. Save a little energy when ya can.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I still run and own a Speed shop for 30 years and have been riding since the 70's- Yeah I am the oldest in my group of 4 ( when I can get them all to go riding)
Tried to be lazy and bought a 4 stroker 1100T and pumped it up to 340 HP- good sled but still to heavy by 2:00 PM in the "Boondocking" mode
163 2.6 Axys this year- so will see if riding the bread stick is easier

I always drive pulling my 4 place enclosed (don't trust them younger guys in my group (40 & 52) He He..

Cardio is the key- lifting helps- but the gains are so slow- way slow after 55 and turning 60 soon I have found Cardio
Cardio builds your core,- gets you breathing easier- and the heart loves the pump- knees keep lubed- I can't help with eyesite- ( Glad I got the PIDD)

Sometime the sled rides me as my son of 25 tells me- but will be riding as long as God willing. The sport that brings friends closer and meeting new ones every season.

S/C

Last edited:

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Life is good.

I still run and own a Speed shop for 30 years and have been riding since the 70's- Yeah I am the oldest in my group of 4 ( when I can get them all to go riding)
Tried to be lazy and bought a 4 stroker 1100T and pumped it up to 340 HP- good sled but still to heavy by 2:00 PM in the "Boondocking" mode
163 2.6 Axys this year- so will see if riding the bread stick is easier

I always drive pulling my 4 place enclosed (don't trust them younger guys in my group (40 & 52) He He..

Cardio is the key- lifting helps- but the gains are so slow- way slow after 55 and turning 60 soon I have found Cardio
Cardio builds your core,- gets you breathing easier- and the heart loves the pump- knees keep lubed- I can't help with eyesite- ( Glad I got the PIDD)

Sometime the sled rides me as my son of 25 tells me- but will be riding as long as God willing. The sport that brings friends closer and meeting new ones every season.

S/C

I am closing in on 60, but the riders I ride snowmobile with are 21-22 and are far better than me in most ways but not all. As far as driving the truck trailer? Driving across North Dakota, Montana, in the dark, white out conditions, icy roads and snowing sideways at 50 MPH, I know for a fact I am better at it and I don't care what my smart (stupid) phone is doing. So yeah, keep going. And, Have Fun While You Can! I plan to. Photo is my sled and me in the blue. Hmmm.....
picture.php

cmxuser

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2014
:face-icon-small-win

I am closing in on 60, but the riders I ride snowmobile with are 21-22 and are far better than me in most ways but not all. As far as driving the truck trailer? Driving across North Dakota, Montana, in the dark, white out conditions, icy roads and snowing sideways at 50 MPH, I know for a fact I am better at it and I don't care what my smart (stupid) phone is doing. So yeah, keep going. And, Have Fun While You Can! I plan to. Photo is my sled and me in the blue. Hmmm.....
picture.php
[/QUOTE
Just checking the track were ya::face-icon-small-dis

zeke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
It seems I'm the oldest at what ever I do, but not sledding. My group is 54,58,60 and me at 56. We don't go as hard as we used to but have a ball doing it. My knees are bad and my muscles ache but there's nothing like riding with your buds in the mountains. It's encouraging to hear from you guys. We don't see many our age where we ride. Keep it up.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Yeah, good point. Just keep doing it as long as you can. Ten years ago I broke my wrist on my ATV. I could not play hockey that season and I didn't go back the next season and gave up after that. That was the dumbest thing I ever did. I still regret it to this day. :face-icon-small-dis

S

skywagon

Oct 29, 2010
Coming up on 80 in March, riding since 1967 and don't plan on quitting till in the pine box. Not as crazy on hill climbing as when younger but still love it. Made a 10 day trip with wife and another couple last spring up to Island Park, West Jellystone and Alpine area. Poor conditions in some areas and ok in other areas. Some days we did a 100 miles.

Also driving the groomer for our local club several times a month. AGE IS JUST A NUMBER!
Ron :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features