• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To Can or not to Can,, Switch oil or not

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
Always been a non issue brand new 2005 KK efi first thing that went on after I took it out of the crate was a Cuttlers can , next was out with the Cat oil in with Amsoil next was fire it !!!! So what is the take on the 2020 alphas my mind says a can makes no difference during the break in , but not sure on the oil switch because of the electronic oil pump, heard or read something about different viscosity "may" meter different ??? Any thoughts quips or comments !! Thanks arctiridr

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
running amsoil instead of cat's oil would be like filling your Jameson bottle with mcnaughtons

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
? I know the old cat oil wasn't the greatest so thus the amsoil switch in 05 exhaust valves clean as a whistle at 3,000 mile refresh rest of motor was and is still pristine,I am assuming ctec 2 oil is a much better product?!

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I run shell advanced snow ultra in my sleds, that said having warranty for the period of time it's smartest to run the factory oil for now, I'd say the oils good but certainly over priced. Next season I'll be back on my shell oil.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Most dealers will have Ctec oil on sale preseason. I usually buy a couple of cases of the 4x1 quart sacks. With how the ctec sips oil I only used a case & 1/2 for a season (1000km). I figure for how little Im using I might as well stick to the Cat stuff. If I was riding a a Doo I might think differently.

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
Went with the BMP Chrome/ Ceramic mountain can first BMP for me ,have always run CPI/Cuttlers in the past ,so far sounds good, nice quality ,time will tell!

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Most dealers will have Ctec oil on sale preseason. I usually buy a couple of cases of the 4x1 quart sacks. With how the ctec sips oil I only used a case & 1/2 for a season (1000km). I figure for how little Im using I might as well stick to the Cat stuff. If I was riding a a Doo I might think differently.
I pre-checked this year and have 10% off till march 2020, so I bought a couple gals of Ctec. I have a couple for gals of Polaris synthetic oil left and was looking for a reason to run that so I tried to find any differences and the only significant one was 10% lower viscosity on the Ctec. Seams like lower viscosity would be good thing to improve oil metering at below zero temps and given the sled sips so little oil to begin with, good metering is a must. I'm selling my extra Polaris oil to a buddy and going with the CTEC from now on.

L
Nov 25, 2018
Good to know that the ctec2 oil does well in a comparison, but as little oil as these use, how much are you saving? And, they designed oil to work with their components.

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
To me it's not about the $5 a gallon savings it's about what the internal components on an Arctic Cat 900 looked like after 5000 miles with a pipe and a can , their we're still crosshatch marks in the cylinders less than two thousandth of run out at the crank and the bearings were pristine , APV valves never had to be cleaned and were an excellent shape no gum or varnish, only reason it got rebuilt was it was 2000 miles over due .my concern was that the interceptor would possibly not meter the same as the cat oil thus starving and motor for oil. I will be running the ctek 2 until there's more info on that electronic oil pump and how it functions with a different oil !!!good info though. The Polaris oil was kind of spooky at that temperature ?

Premium Features