• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TKI belt drive conversion

J
Mar 7, 2012
To make a long story short I have bought and installed the 3” TKI belt drive conversion kit on my SKS with 2.6” track. The top gear is supposed to be 30T and was ordered as 25T. What kind of adverse effects will I have being geared that low? I’m hoping that someone from TKI gets back to me in the morning but I dont know how long it will take to get the correct gear and I have a trip planned for a week from Wednesday.

D
Dec 4, 2010
The adverse effects will be longer belt life from lower belt temperature and extremely sore arms from trying to hold on when you pin it. I recently put the exact same set up, 25T top gear, on my 850 and it will pull like no other throughout the rpm range. Before you think about sending it back, ride it. I'd be highly doubtful you won't like it if you enjoy technical mountain riding. The power is here and now and will still run 75 plus mph on the top. Its like racing around town with a 4.56 rear end in your muscle car.

J
Mar 7, 2012
The adverse effects will be longer belt life from lower belt temperature and extremely sore arms from trying to hold on when you pin it. I recently put the exact same set up, 25T top gear, on my 850 and it will pull like no other throughout the rpm range. Before you think about sending it back, ride it. I'd be highly doubtful you won't like it if you enjoy technical mountain riding. The power is here and now and will still run 75 plus mph on the top. Its like racing around town with a 4.56 rear end in your muscle car.
So what is your final gear ratio? What do you have for a bottom gear as far as teeth go? Did the lower than normal gearing effect clutching? Engagement? My concern is having compound issues.

D
Dec 4, 2010
Gear ratio is 63/25=2.52. The gear ratio change didn't affect normal clutching or engagement. It just comes on a lot quicker and throttle response is instantaneous. Whether it is a 850 or an 800 these motors all benefit from a weight that is heel heavy, i.e. belly buster, MDS, rooster, Indy Specialty... the stock 10 series weights just don't do it IMHO because they do not have enough heel weight.

J
Mar 7, 2012
After three awesome days riding the Chic Chos these are my findings. The sled pulls like a farm tractor. It has bottom end grunt for days without noticeably robbing top speed. I did notice a whine from under the hood, idk if that’s normal for belt drives but everything appears normal. Bottom line is I love it. I rode our guides 850 and I wasn’t wowed by the difference like I was last year.

Premium Features