• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TKI adjustable belt drive conversion for Axys & 850 Axys RMK's install

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
My 2019 850 155" RMK came with the 3" track that only comes with the chain case. I wanted the benefits of my previous belt drive and more importantly the ability make gear changes easily and have a belt tensioner that the factory belt drive does not. I called Tom at TKI because of his reputation and quality builds. Seeing his parts at Haydays was like an art display. Looks are awesome, but performance is what counts in the backcountry. TKI makes these for the stock belt drive upgrade as well. Many Snowest'ers know I travel a lot riding different states, so I wanted something that will work and hold up!
Ill try posting some pics of how to do it.
You will want to take off your side panels and hood, if you have a turbo or small can you can work around it. The stock can will need to come off to gain access. Some of the springs can be a pain, BMP makes a really long spring puller that gets to every one of the springs easy (including the lower Y-pipe not removed for this install).
1st pic, stock chain case with can removed. Remove battery if you have electric start.
2nd. Great instructions come with the kit and each shipment is inspected and signed off by Tom the owner.
3rd. Remove the brake disc with a 17mm. Hold the brake to keep from turning.
4th. Remove Brake caliper bolts with a 13mm and move up out of the way. No need to disconnect the brake line!
5th. Put a drain pan under the belly pan. Have rags and brake cleaner ready. Remove chain case cover with a 10mm socket, unless you have the factory belt drive.
6th. Keep the spacer at the top, the bolts, cover, chain and gears if you ever want to return to stock when you sell it. If not a TKI belt drive with up the resale value.
7th. Chain case cover removed. ("If" your not doing this conversion, this is a good way to do some maintenance on your chain case. Inspect the parts, gears, chain, tensioner etc for wear, clean or replace, adjust chain tension). See owners manual for more details, Rated PG, battery not included.
8th. Use a 15mm and 14mm to loosen and remove the chain tensioner. Note the o-ring on the top shaft. This will need to be removed and saved with your old parts.
9th. Parts removed and the new TKI drive next to the factory parts. Pictures dont do justus to Tom's craftsmanship. He also builds drive axles, CNC wheels, brake handles and more. Check them out at www.TKICNC.com or call them at 406-850-8091
I will need to add the rest of the pic's on the next post.

Attachments

• IMG_4665_1024.jpg
    IMG_4665_1024.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_4666_1024.jpg
    IMG_4666_1024.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_4667_1024.jpg
    IMG_4667_1024.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_4668_1024.jpg
    IMG_4668_1024.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_4669_1024.jpg
    IMG_4669_1024.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4670_1024.jpg
    IMG_4670_1024.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_4671_1024.jpg
    IMG_4671_1024.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_4673_1024.jpg
    IMG_4673_1024.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_4675_1024.jpg
    IMG_4675_1024.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
1st is TKI belt tensioner assembly.
2nd. Spacers and bolts used for assembly.
3rd, Tensioner on, upper spacer, upper and lower pulleys and belt installed. Tension belt using the guild lines in the instructions, install bolts, torque to 45lbs.
4th. Install the brake disc and caliper and your done!
Re check the tension and all bolts after warming up the motor and track.
Hope this helped anyone that was thinking of doing this. Its a great upgrade!

5th. Axys CNC TKI brake handle, even comes with the little clips!!

Attachments

• IMG_4677_1024.jpg
    IMG_4677_1024.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_4678_1024.jpg
    IMG_4678_1024.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_4686_1024.jpg
    IMG_4686_1024.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_4688_1024.jpg
    IMG_4688_1024.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 269

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Ok so TKI has been out for some time, so this may very well be answered. But has anyone heard thoughts on just making smaller upper gears and a tensioner? For the stock belt?

Would be cheaper and should sell pretty well. Poo dealers would have replacement belt for you (yes, I know, more $$).

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Ok so TKI has been out for some time, so this may very well be answered. But has anyone heard thoughts on just making smaller upper gears and a tensioner? For the stock belt?

Would be cheaper and should sell pretty well. Poo dealers would have replacement belt for you (yes, I know, more $$).

Polaris does not want their belt to be bent backwards where the Gates Polychain is designed to do so. Also you would not be able to go small enough on the top gear to have the belt wrap around it enough for the benefits.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
does bending belt back the other way that far rob power

No, they Gates belts are softer than the Polaris and the back bending is done on the loose side of the gears when moving in a forward direction so there is hardly any tension on the tensioner at that time, only enough to keep the belt engaged with the gears.

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
1st is TKI belt tensioner assembly.
2nd. Spacers and bolts used for assembly.
3rd, Tensioner on, upper spacer, upper and lower pulleys and belt installed. Tension belt using the guild lines in the instructions, install bolts, torque to 45lbs.
4th. Install the brake disc and caliper and your done!
Re check the tension and all bolts after warming up the motor and track.
Hope this helped anyone that was thinking of doing this. Its a great upgrade!

5th. Axys CNC TKI brake handle, even comes with the little clips!!

6th. Check belt tension after each trip/during trip. I’ve had to tighten mine more often than anticipated. Wasn’t expecting that. ?

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
6th. Check belt tension after each trip/during trip. I’ve had to tighten mine more often than anticipated. Wasn’t expecting that. ?

Thanks, I will keep an eye on it . I’m going to be putting lots of hours on out west for the next few weeks helping with some warrior rides and testing some different product combos as well.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Something to ponder too. The belt gets tighter when hot as the gears and bulkhead swell due to to heat. More guys tend to run too tight than too loose. There should be 1/4"-3/8" slop when warm at least.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
With the changing snow conditions in Colorado and Wyoming I wish I would’ve done this gear down belt drive conversion months ago. My clutch’s are running cooler and my belts are looking great. Also I haven’t had to adjust my belt tension once on this TKI drive. Very happy with this system!

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
We are heading out this weekend to a spot in Quebec where we have to run stock exhaust for noise reasons. I had to remove my TKI belt drive and put the stock quick drive back on because the 850 stock silencer would not fit with the tensioner bolt in place. I even cut the bolt down as far as I could but it was still hitting. Not sure if this is an issue on the 800s with the silencer being a bit different?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
The tki belt drive fits the 800/850 with the stock exhaust, you just need to put a shorter bolt in the tensioner. A good hit with a big hammer to the stock muffler might be needed��

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008

Here's a smaller top sprocket.
c226c61c02d5c135e91be6244f2fc3d0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
With the changing snow conditions in Colorado and Wyoming I wish I would’ve done this gear down belt drive conversion months ago. My clutch’s are running cooler and my belts are looking great. Also I haven’t had to adjust my belt tension once on this TKI drive. Very happy with this system!

You are a lucky one, not needing to adjust it. There are two of us right now that need adjusting quite often. Maybe it’s because of a turbo, don’t know. Just odd.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
You are a lucky one, not needing to adjust it. There are two of us right now that need adjusting quite often. Maybe it’s because of a turbo, don’t know. Just odd.

They should not need adjusting very often or you might have something failing.if you find you need to do it more than 2-3 times during the belt life there is something wrong. These belts don't stretch or they cogs would not mesh.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I'm going to add a few of my notes below from a different thread and a few PM's questions people have had regarding the difference between TKI's and Kurt's gear down kits.

Ive ran both and are both good kits but there are some major differences.
1st off, both work great with cooler belt temps, making belts last longer, quicker throttle response and higher track speeds with the gear down.
Kurt's is a basic kit, easy to instal consisting of upper and lower sprockets, 2 belts (1 is spare), and instal tool. Spare belts are available for $129.95 cheaper than many Polaris dealers. You can see pics and details here:https://shop.kurtspolaris.com/KO-GEA...atalogId=-4127

TKI's kit comes with a tensioner, upper and lower sprockets, drive belt and replacement bottom gear bolt. Spare belts are only $80 and can be found at NAPA sometimes even cheaper. There are 6 gear ratios available. The biggest difference to me is how many belt teeth are engaged with the top sprocket. With the stock or Kurt's you end up with about 5 or 6 engaged, with the TKI its about 15 engaged due to the wrap around effect of the tensioner. Because of this I have never lost a belt out riding with the TKI system. For pics and details go here: https://www.shop.tkicnc.com/2016-201...KI-BDP1626.htm

Both are great options and both great guys that I'm grateful are always looking to advance the sport. You cant go wrong with either IMO.

Last edited:
Premium Features