• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timing Key worth it?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have wondered this for years. Is adding a 1, 2 or 3 degree timing key worthwhile? Does it depend on the mods you have or have not done? I am guessing with a stocker and a can it might be great addition but maybe it's not needed with more intensive mods? I use 91 octane on my 2015 with a full SLP pipe setup, high compression heads, Boysen rage cages, etc. Would a timing key make one need higher octane fuel to prevent detonation? Does the timing advance across the entire RPM range or just above or below a specific RPM range? How hard are they to install? Isn't there a mechanical version and an electronic version that plugs into the wiring harness? Thoughts?

R
Good questions...first of all, I would contact SLP since you are running their products. Secondly, with a high compression head, I am surprised that you are not running a timing key. It definitely depends what your mods are. I used to be a heavy SLP guy when I was running my MC900 mods, but not anymore. It would benefit, pretty much at all elevations. Stock wouldn't benefit you. You still have the Suzuki 800.
To install, you have to pull off the fly wheel and they install right on the crank shaft. What are you running for a programmer? PC has some programmers with timing and I do believe Boondocker does too. On my 14 BB 925, I have a timing key in it and run higher octane. My 11 MC 1000, I have it twin piped and no timing key yet, but have been thinking about it.
Best thing to do is call SLP and talk to them.
Hopefully that helps.
Im surprised, no on else has chimed in yet.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Cat used to re-map the Suzuki 800 HO ECU's, adding more timing advance for the low & mid-range for the race team hill climbers. I have Dyno-Jet timing piggyback boxes on my '10 M8 & '11 Crossfire 800; plug & play. Both these sleds have BMP Y-pipes & HPS cans. Talk to Kevin at Hubs Performance. 208-221-6499.

Bills R.E. Repair

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, WA
BDX-SSI has a reflash For Suzuki 800 - I think you would really like. I had them Reflash my ECU on my 2017 M6000 Sno Pro 153 recently, and it was worth every penny spent! Hope this helps ! Bill

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I've got a hillclimb/race reflashed ecu that advances timing. Definitely have to run 91 even at elevation but it gives the midrange a very noticeable bump. I think there's a fueling increase as well. I would think digitally or with a key you'd like what it does. Key is cheaper by a long shot, especially since you can change your fuel if needed.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks guys! I will call SLP and see what they say. If I remember correctly when I asked them before they said I didn't need one. However, when I asked them I had an 09 M8 with their stage III kit with porting. So, I guess we'll see.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I gave SLP a call and didn't learn much. They said they haven't played with timing keys. They had no preference one way or another on if it would be beneficial or not.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Make sure the spare ECU injector codes (triangle, square, circle) matches the original ECU. If you know someone that is sponsored by AC race team, it could be reflashed,; possibly by one of the aftermarket companies like Bikeman or DynoJet?

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
It has the same shape as my currently installed ECU. I do not know any Arctic cat racers but, I bet someone on here knows who I could send it to for the update?

Premium Features