• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Time to upgrade. Narrowed it down.

K
Sep 21, 2016
If money isnt a issue go with cmx over the riot( the riot does not climb well). 129fr is a good kit for climbing but isnt as playful. if your hard on **** the carbon fiber will not hold up. both yeti and ts spindles are poorly designed

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
If you ride a lot the Yeti has been a maintenance problem child, Riot solid /works in western snow with adjustments, CMX ?? who knows, biggest difference I see between Yeti and TS is which track will work for you, and your preference of blowing money ........on kits or parts, or blowing your money on riding.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I personally have not ridden a Riot but I do have a fair bit of seat time on the 2020 Yeti FR. I wanted to love the Yeti I really did but in the end I'm not sure its worth the coin, the jury is still out for me.

Pro's its super light, it is nimble, the track is better than the TS track and flat out rocks and its a 129 which I like, the suspension eats up rough trails very well, it climbs great its rolls side to side with ease, its easy to get unstuck. Its the lightest kit out there, end of discussion. The belt drive is awesome and works great now virtually never comes out of adjustment so one less thing to worry about. I really like the ski (except in death crust) and actually run one on my own bike. By in large they have most of the bugs worked out but there a still a couple of things that will need attention before I pull the trigger.

Cons it vibrates A LOT. The carbon tunnel acts like a big speaker/amplifier and the track vibration comes right through the seat into your ass, its not through the bars its through the seat even with a Seat Concepts seat. I thought there was something wrong but I have ridden a few and they are all like that. You get used to it but its there. The carbon fiber is still failing in 2020. Yeti has stopped tunnel production until a fix is found. For me the front end feels a bit vague compared to other kits, I can make it push pretty easily, if the kit is improperly adjusted its a wheelie machine climbing so SET UP IS KEY here. I know everybody is doing the light front end thing like the Riot but I personally like a bit more ski pressure combined with the ability to unweight the front end if and when necessary. This is a personal preference thing for me so take it with a grain of salt. I've not ridden a Yeti set up how I would like it but I have to believe it is possible. Lastly the elephant in the room is its really expensive to purchase, repair and get accessories for.

The two kits you listed are radically different so like what was mentioned above what's your intent for the kit. I think a closer comparison would be a Yeti FR and ARO 129 Velocity rather than the Riot?

MMM

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Thanks for the input. I screwed up on my initial post. Supposed to be timbersled aro 3 or free ride. Both 129.

S
Oct 23, 2019
Get the ARO 3 Velocity. I had a chance to ride one at the frozen cow tag ride and was blown away! Suspension is awesome, track is awesome, and as an overall kit it is super bullet proof. I had a riot and really like it but also ride in really deep and light montana snow and sometimes wish I had a 129. But whenever the snow is less than 2 feet deep I would chose the riot.

M
Jan 14, 2004
All wide spaced rail kits even a <2019 Yeti sidehill better than either the 2020 Yeti 5.5 spacing or Camso monorail in all conditions but for me its a good trade off and its a really minor difference you just need to change your technique and back off the throttle a bit and they sidehill just fine. I'm turning in tight trees trying to maneuver around stuff WAY more than I am having problems with sidehills so the trade off isn't there for me, not willing to give up the easy handling for the sidehill. Once again depends on where you want to ride it and YOUR riding style. I wouldn't buy any kit without first trying it preferably on the brand of bike you own, lets face it the internet is full of BS, hell just look at this post total BS, LOL.

E
Dec 19, 2007
By far The riot would be my first choice if you can only have one kit. Then if you have a 2nd bike get something longer for deep days. The yeti 129 climbs better and is super nice but just isn't as fun. If you get paid for being the first to the top then the riot won't pay off but you will have the biggest grin and can still go anywhere just not as fast as the front heavy kits.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
We ride the hell out of the yetis and haven’t had any non self induced issues. I think the bad years were 18-19 when the original guys were out of it. We don’t have any of those years in our group.

I think the issue is you just can’t sub out high end stuff. Welding Ti, doing carbon Carbon fiber. Can’t mass produce that stuff overseas.

Tough to justify any new kit right now. Lots of stock around at blowout prices. Got quoted a new 17 yeti for $4900 cdn. That’s what I would be doing...no brainer.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
2020 yeti will destroy everything in the powder, We had a riot with us and after multiple attempts had to go around the mountain it could not climb nowhere near the Yetis, Riot just better for tricks and 180,s., On the mountain it struggled all day to keep up, the yeti can be setup to be planted and lite in the front, 2020 is super solid kit much was redesigned for 2020. The CMX is broke again,Thats another whole story and they wont reply.They think ignoring my e mails will make the issues go away,

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
If you ride a lot the Yeti has been a maintenance problem child, Riot solid /works in western snow with adjustments, CMX ?? who knows, biggest difference I see between Yeti and TS is which track will work for you, and your preference of blowing money ........on kits or parts, or blowing your money on riding.
In the past yes but Totally wrong on The 2020 Yeti was redesigned and the most solid kit out there.not a weak part on them now. New steel front arm, Floating jackshaft keeps alignment perfect always,wide belt system, Anti slip drivers allow track to run loose,all new enclosed brake system, all new tunnel,totally solid kit, If there was a weak link I would be the first to acknowledge it. If ewe want to ride powder /steeps and climb Yeti is the best kit, If ewe want to get on a hillside and do wheelies and tricks then the Riot is the best kit.

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I dont want to do wheelies and tricks. I want to crush steep terrain on a reliable kit. I don’t know what the 2020 yetis are like because no one around here is willing to take another chance on a kit that has proven to be unreliable.especially at 8k. We’ll just spend our time riding thank you.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Fwiw, I've had two timber sleds, a mototrax, and a yeti kit. All the kits 120's and had/have more than 150 hrs of ride time. The yeti and first timbersled were used when I got them. The yeti is a 2016.5. Kevin at c3 says great kit with better carbon fiber than subsequent models. I replaced all the bearings, converted to the 28mm belt and replaced the yeti track with the new camso/yeti track after purchase two seasons back. The yeti kit has been the most reliable of the four and has required less tinkering, adjusting and maintenance than the other three. It also is the best on the trail, in the deep and best climbing of the four. It is also lighter and at times can be lifted out of a trench where others I couldn't. It has the worst brakes of the four and transmits more vibration and noise than the others. Granted, I'm a less aggressive rider than most but I have been happy with reliability of my yeti. Now it will probably fall apart next ride! ?

I was fired up about the riot after most of initial reviews were positive. I then rode with my buddy who has a riot. The kit had a few rides on it when we rode. Big guy rides aggressively. He builds and sells snowbikes so knows them well. Part way into the ride the front of the rails walked rt and stabbed the track and ripped part of outer band of track. I examined the suspension and thought the front of the rails were unstable and with little wear would be susceptible to moving rt or left and walking off the track just as it did. To a lesser degree, but same issue as Mototrax. We tied up rails and after couple more stabs destroyed the track but made it back to garage. Owner/rider advised that it was known issue via Facebook? Anyway I think that front arm is suspect for this failure and has reduced my interest in a riot for now.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Dooman, good input. Luck of the draw I guess? My riot has been bomber so far but I only have 55 hours on it this season.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Byeatts, my last comment might have been a bit aggressive. I am stoked the new yetis are holding up well. I wish there were a few kits around here so i could compare. Sounds like they are going in the right direction.

E
Dec 19, 2007
The riot is not just for wheelies and tricks. It is light on the front even if you set it for climbing mode. Easy to adjust either way you like it. If you have something that can out climb a riot it either has more track, less weight or more hp. We all know a yeti 129 has more track and less weight so there it is. But keep in mind getting to the top first usually means you missed out on some of the fun. There may be very rare occasions in some terrain where one bike can make it and another can't buy I haven't seen that yet. There is always a way.

The riot is not just for wheelies and tricks. It is light on the front even if you set it for climbing mode. Easy to adjust either way you like it. If you have something that can out climb a riot it either has more track, less weight or more hp. We all know a yeti 129 has more track and less weight so there it is. But keep in mind getting to the top first usually means you missed out on some of the fun. There may be very rare occasions in some terrain where one bike can make it and another can't buy I haven't seen that yet. There is always a way.

This^^

I don't really get the desire to climb hills on a snowbike, but that's just me. The riot is easily the most fun kit I have ever owned.

C
Sep 19, 2013
Lumby, BC
I don't really get the desire to climb hills on a snowbike, but that's just me. The riot is easily the most fun kit I have ever owned.
[/QUOTE]

I agree to some extent but a lot of times I’m riding with sleds if the 1 or 2 snowbiker buddies can’t ride that day.
It’s good to know you’ll be able to go out in the back country and climb back out of big drainages/bowls in deep powder/steep hills then take them through the tight trees. There’s for sure some comprises but it’s nice to do both.
Rather not get separated from the sleds to find alternate routes up and out... been there, Not fun...

Has anyone tested an Aro3 vs Yeti 129 FR in the steep deep stuff?? That would be a good comparison.

Last edited:
Premium Features